Serious problems with box

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,331 times. The last Post () by reeves1985.

• Hi all, I'm having serious problems with this box. Here are some things that I am experiencing:

1. Recording is very unstable, box freezes when a recording starts or ends and requires a reboot

2. When viewing a recording, the box will freeze and requires a reboot

3. A couple of times a day, the box will just freeze for no apparent reason and requires a reboot

All this is seriously frustrating, is anyone else having these sort of problems?

I'm running Nebula v3 on the box with the latest version of Oscam.

I've also tried Nebula Zero and Hyperion on the box, but I can't get them to work at all. Both images just crash after booting.

Can someone please help, thanks in advance.

• Does it freeze on first boot after installation of Zero or Hyperion or only after you start adding things on to the box?

It could be all matter of things. It could be the box running out of memory, it could be the emu that is causing the issue, its hard to tell. I set mine up completely manually and have had no problems with it since the day i got it.

To be honest i find it easier to set the emu up manually using ftp. The PKT Nebula images don't require scripts as such, all you have to do is stick the emu in the right place in the file system and make sure the permissions are set correctly. The only issues i have with this box is normally only with OSCam and nothing else.

What i would suggest is to run the box as it is with just OSCam and a fresh channel scan. After you have run it for a few hours you can then start adding plugins and then test again for a few more hours before adding anything else. When the box starts to become unstable you will then know what could be causing it.

The one thing i will say with these boxes, is don't expect them to ever be as reliable as a proper MIPS based Enigma 2 box, its just won't ever happen. Its best to run these boxes on a minimal setup with as few plugins installed as possible. That's when they run as most reliable.

Nano

• Thanks for the reply nano, I haven't installed any plugins apart from auto timer. The rest are just what comes with the image.

I get past the first installation on both Zero and Hyperion and then setup Crossepg added line and scanned channels, then both just crashed. Then immediately after rebooting the images then crash again.

I'm not really expecting the box to be perfect, but I'd like it to run properly most of the time. As far as Oscam goes, I'm using your settings from another thread along with the latest version.

I'd be very greatful if you could advise me on what to do. Should I factory reset or reinstall the image or something else?

Thanks

• To be honest i would go for just a fresh install. If you can't get the PKT images to work, it may be worth looking at the Freebox images also. Everything below is for the PKT Images.

Make sure you back up your OSCam configs first. Install the new image from your USB stick. I find PKT Nebula Zero the best image on mine.

Once thats done Do a channel scan on the satellite and then install OSCam by just FTPing it to the correct folder on the box which is VAR/EMU on the PKT images. Add the version of OSCam attached to this. It works fine on my box with no issues at all.

Make sure you change the permissions (CHMOD) of the OSCam file to 755. FTP you already saved settings for oscam over to VAR/Keys and change (CHMOD) permissions to 755 of all the files.

When thats done try a few channels and see how it goes. If it doesn't fall over then you can try configuring cross epg. Make sure you tell it to save the downloaded files to the HDD or better still stick a usb penstick in the back.

Hope this helps mate. To be honest for best results with this type of receiver its best to leave it as a blank canvas. Don't bother with the epg or any of the plugins, just use it for what its meant for, i.e watching TV. If you want a receiver to play with loads of plugins, you will have to get a MIPS based one like the MaxDigital XP1000 which is a good solid box which is quite cheap to buy.

Once you have scanned all your satellites you can use Dreambox edit to set all your channel lists up. I find the earlier versions of Dreamboxedit work better with this box.

Nano

• Thanks for all the help nano.

I've installed the Zero image on a pen drive and I'm running the image from there. Zero wouldn't run at all from the nand. I've just installed the essentials plus auto timer and so far no freezing. Also I tried a test recording, and everything went smoothly. So I'm thinking maybe it was what you said about running out of memory. I just hope now that this lasts, fingers crossed.

Again thanks for all your help. Hopefully I won't need to bother you again.

• Had mine running perfect with hyperion crossepg cooltvguide mediaportal and autobouqets. Solid as a rock and records fine with no issues whilst watching other channels

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Try running the image it from the hard drive itself
    It runs much sweeter and the remote control response it also better
    All you need to do is make a full backup of the image from blue panel partition the drive and use sda1 as 1gb ext3
    The rest as gdd space
    Then boot up from USB and from blue panel again install the image to sda1 and reboot box press the up button on front panel until you see hdd1 and press ok and that it

There is a proper detailed guide somewhere when I find it I will post it up

It tends to get rid of the memory/ram issue and also the green screens

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!