Openbox S11 dead after channel list update

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,434 times. The last Post () by lutz diagram.

• Hi everyone;

There seems to be a few topics already with similar symptoms to my problem that I have, but went ahead with my own topic anyway (sorry!).

I updated the channel list earlier on an S11 and after I used the switch on the box of the box to reboot it, the box wouldn't boot back up. Nothing appears on the screen, and the LED display just stays blank.

When I do switch the box on there's a small flicker on the screen, like the TV recognises that there's something there trying to get power, but nothing else happens.

Also when the box is left switched on it does still feel warm on the top, as though it is working.

I've seen some posts saying to use a null modem cable to try and fix the box, but neither of the PCs I have at home have an input for this cable to go into.. would a usb on one end of the cable (going into PC) work?

Also if anyone else has any other tips, or has had this problem before.. any info would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• You need a rs232 to com port buddy, using USB adapters are hit and miss. Infact I brought one and it was a miss everytime. In the end I found out my uncle had an old tower pc, worked a charm with a com port

• I'll have to ask around people I know then to see if they have such capabilities!

Not looking good though. :\ Is there anything else I could try? The box is left plugged in, just hoping it comes back to life.

I had to replace a box last week with a similar problem, needing to pay for another new box is what's prompted me to look into how to fix them. :(

Thanks for the reply though, mate.

• hi like my s10 its prob corrupted the flash chip...as already mentioned you will need beg still borrow a pc with genuin com port to have any hope of restoring the firmware..at worst if emupgrade does not restore it may need a new flash chip fitted..if u in uk u could send to friend who perhaps has a suitable pc..
    cheers

• You need a 9pin serial pci board (hopefully you have a desktop pc)

Whack that in and using 9pin to 9pin null modem cable you should be able to get it sorted!

pci boards on fleabay for a tenner or so! or look at local electronics/pc outlet!

Cable should also be on fleabay cheap! but i have a few PM if you want me to sent you one!

Any problems shout back but you will need the cable and a PC with the correct com port

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!