How can I change mac address?

There are 60 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 20,755 times. The last Post () by KiddaC.

• I have set up a second vu solo in an other room, but whenever I turn it on, the internet goes down. I have read that perhaps they both have the same mac address, and thats why. Is there an easy way to change the mac address to one of the two boxes?
    Just to inform you that in my house my children use their phones over wifi and I also have two pc and a tablet. How can I put a mac address that is "free"? The boxes have openpli image, if that helps.
    Thanks in advance!

• Official Post

I have set up a second vu solo in an other room, but whenever I turn it on, the internet goes down. I have read that perhaps they both have the same mac address, and thats why. Is there an easy way to change the mac address to one of the two boxes?
    Just to inform you that in my house my children use their phones over wifi and I also have two pc and a tablet. How can I put a mac address that is "free"? The boxes have openpli image, if that helps.
    Thanks in advance!

Similar thread here hope it helps you.
    MAC is gone

Extract the attached file.

FTP change-mac-address file to /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/

Do not forget to make this file executable (755 permissions) Telnet command - chmod 755 change-mac-address

The new mac address will take effect after rebooting, and subsequent rebooting or network restarting with remote will not revert the mac address back to the original one.

IMPORTANT: the file name with this script CANNOT have extension .sh, i.e, if the file is named change-mac-address.sh - then it will not work!!!

All the files in that directory are run as scripts at a proper time if they have execution rights, as long as their names do not end with .sh !!!

• Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere that there is a small program that changes mac, but I can not find it. I can use flashfxp, but I can not find easy instructions for doing the change. Can anyone please help me more?

• Official Post

First i would test if your theory is in fact what`s happening, download and install the attached tool it will scan the network and show mac addresses for all connected devices..

Connect one Vu+solo to the router, run tool and record the mac address, disconnect this solo and connect the other to the router, run tool and record the mac address..

If they are the same we change can one of the solo`s mac address with a script, i will need to know what image version you use so i can make an ipk installer for you..

• Big thanks. My image is open pli . If you can make me an ipk, I will be very very grateful. I will check the mac addresses when I get home and I will let you know.
    By the way, when ever I connect both receivers , all internet freezes. When I disconnect any one of both, everything is ok.
    Can you make the ipk so that we can save some time?
    Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

• I will check it in about an hour and let you know.
    Permanently erasing the mac address will not create other problems to the receiver, will it?

• Ok I checked and it is confirmed. Got same mac addresses.
    Name;IP;Mac address;Vendor
    192.168.0.9;192.168.0.9;B4-74-..-..-66-10;askey computer corp
    KLEO;192.168.0.6;90-2B-34-..-..-4D;GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD.
    192.168.0.1;192.168.0.1;00-1D-..-..-47-61;ARRIS Group, Inc.
    VUSOLO;192.168.0.99;00-DE-FA-11-73-B0;
    VUSOLO;192.168.0.100;00-DE-FA-11-73-B0;
    192.168.0.13;192.168.0.13;00-21-00-81-63-96;GemTek Technology Co., Ltd.

• Official Post

The attached ipk should change the mac address of the receiver to 00:03:45;67:89:AF..

Send this file to /tmp (var/volatile/tmp) then copy & paste this command into telnet.

Code
    opkg install -force-overwrite /tmp/change-mac-address_e2_all.ipk

Let us know how you get on buddy..

• Thank you very much. Do I manually install ipk after putting the file in tmp and run the plugin or just putting the file there and telnet the command will do the job?
    Do I have to do this every time I start the receiver?

• After putting the file in tmp do I need to manually install ipk and run the plugin or just paste the command in telnet? If everything goes fine do I need to do the same again every time I turn on the receiver?

• Official Post

You can manually install the ipk through your menu or via telnet method i posted, this is not a plugin, it will place a script in the correct folder then reboot your receiver..

Once the receiver reboots the mac address will have changed, use the findmac setup tool to confirm the change has been made, you won`t have to do the same every time you reboot..

• Ok, will do that asap. Hopefully I will manage to share the c lines later in cccam.cfg with F line and C line later. One problem at a time.

• Did that but nothing. If I disable the dhcp and assign ip it turns off the use interface. If I turn dhcp on I get ip address unconfirmed and nameserver unconfirmed.

• When you turn off DHCP in network settings do you mean the entries for IP Address, Netmask, Use a gateway and Gateway are empty ?

No I assign different ip, same gateway and netmask but nothing. I can not restore mac address now?

• Official Post

FTP to /etc/network/if-pre-up.d and delete the file named change-mac-address..

In telnet paste in this command and press enter..

Code
    ifconfig -a | grep HWaddr

You will get a line like this: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:45;67:89:AF

The numbers in green will be the mac address you just changed to..

Now paste in one command at a time pressing enter after each one.

Change the numbers in red to your old mac address..

Code
    ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig eth0 hw ether [COLOR='#FF0000']00:80:48:BA:d1:30[/COLOR]
    ifconfig eth0 up
    ifconfig eth0 |grep HWaddr

Reboot the router and solo after making these changes..

VU+ SOLO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!