How can I change mac address?

There are 60 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 20,851 times. The last Post () by KiddaC.

• Thank you for your help. I could not connect to etc or wherever on the vu because I had no valid ip. I created a backup with my first receiver, flashed the second one and got back the mac address. I tried other methods posted on line, but same problem again. Ip address unconfirmed. Reflashed, tried, reflashed, tried..... :( No.
    Maybe I am doing something wrong. I will check youtube and see. Thanks again. If you find sth let me know please.

• Done everything and anything on the web. If I manage to change mac address, there is an ip problem stating unconfirmed. Nothing else to do. I dont know if there is a certain image to use that allows mac address change. If anyone can help, please do.

• You made me the ipk to change the mac address. As I saw, it creates a script with lines in linux to change the mac address.
    Maybe in the ipk there is a command, stating that my vu is eth0 and its not, so it creates the problem of ip unconfirmed.
    How can I test what number is on eth... ?

• After I make the change, no, I do not have any access, either ftp or telnet. In the script, where it says [ '$IFACE' = 'eth0' ], how do I know the receiver is on eth0?
    I am asking because as I read, one mistake makes the system not get an ip.
    So is there any way to check my eth number?
    Also, if I manually add this script, make it executable, do I copy-paste exactly as you wrote, or I change anything?

Someone wrote that:
    In theory, it may go wrong in two ways, if you put wrong lines to the wrong place:
    1. no connection and restarting network does not work, so no way to reestablish connection, and without it, no way to remove those lines from the script, and after rebooting, again the same.
    2. the rebooting script hangs and does not finish and therefore perhaps even worse than 1.

Thanks again for your time.

• Yes by default it is eth0 as you only have the one ethernet connection on your box.

Depending if wifi is enabled on the image your interfaces file will look like this, file is found in

/etc/network/interfaces

# automatically generated by enigma 2
    # do NOT change manually!

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

So, by doing this

$ ifconfig eth0 down

$ ifconfig eth0 hw ether 11:22:33:44:55:66

$ ifconfig eth0 up

Is only temporary, you need to make it permenant, by adjusting the interfaces file and adding

hwaddress ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

To the end of the file and save it, obviously create a different mac address than the above, reboot box and should be good to go.

File should then look like this

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

hwaddress ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

Good Luck.

• So, in my final effort, I will find the file /etc/network/interfaces, delete everything and add

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

hwaddress ether 01:02:03:04:05:06 (other mac address)

or should I delete aeverything and put
    $ ifconfig eth0 down

$ ifconfig eth0 hw ether 11:22:33:44:55:66

$ ifconfig eth0 up

hwaddress ether 11:22:33:44:55:66

• No!

Just add this to the end of your own file

hwaddress ether 11:22:33:44:55:66

I do not know what is in your file, it could be different from mine, if it's the same, then Yes.

All you really have to do is take your other box's mac addy and change the last 4 digits on the other box so they don't conflict.

So change the last 4 digits on the working box, and reflash the non working box, then you will have 2 boxes with 2 different mac addys and both should then get proper IP addys by DHCP.

Remember, you will have to change the mac addy if you reflash a box.

• Now I have one box, fully working with openpli, the other is just flashed and working with openpli, but both with same mac, both working if connected by them selves.
    I remove the one from plug.
    I go to the second one to change the mac.
    I enter in /etc/network/interfaces hwaddress ether -my mac address with changed 4 last digits-
    Reboot.
    Thats it? Thanks everyone again.....

• Official Post

This could just be an ip address conflict because they have the same mac address, the router will try to assisgn the same ip address..

So try connecting one solo, then in the router assign a static ip address to this device..

Disconnect that solo and connect the other, in the solos`s network adapter settings choose dhcp as no and assign a different ip address from the other device, reboot..

Now try to connect both solos..

• I am sure its not an ip conflict. I have done these steps, dhcp is off and I assigned different ip addresses. Now I am flashing again because in settings/ network , the box called Link is unticked, stating I dont have internet on the box. I can not tick it, so no internet connection. In adapter settings I have Ip address N/A, Netmask N/A, Gaeway N/A.
    If I dhcp off and assigne these I get ip unconfirmed again and no internet access.
    Following the advice of lfc 4ever, did not change my mac

• Yes. The nameserver has my routers configuration (213.140....), I tried 192.168.0.1, tried my neighbours ip, nothing happened.
    There is no image that has options to change mac address manually so that I can flash it?
    Is the mac address stated in any file on the receiver that I can manually change it (like var/network..) ?

• The seller claimed they are not. I am from Cyprus and unfortunately reporting anyone here, is not worth trouble or time spent.
    I told him to return one to buy sth else, but he said no.
    My only solution is asking for your help, maybe to try and fix the issue. If not, I will have to try to sell one (and lose money).

• I have succeeded!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here s the deal. I have opened both boxes, and checked. No1 box is original, No2 box clone, both same mac address.
    I created a file and put it in network pre-up. Here is what is in file.
    #!/bin/sh
    ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:1D:EC:02:55:19
    #ifconfig eth0 up
    #touch /tmp

Changed attributes to 755
    Rebooted.
    Hopefully someone else will find it helpful.
    THANKS to the moderators of the site for their time. (I dont know whats different in this file compared to those I tried before, but it worked)

VU+ SOLO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!