Vu+ Solo ok for me . Newbie question

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 374 times. The last Post () by neolxs.

• Hi all, a bit new to this, I used to be up and running with a 1.2 motorised dish with an old echostar ad 3600ad viaccess system which I haven't used for a while but all still works and finds all the normal sats. I want to upgrade the receiver to a newer one. I was thinking of the vu+solo is this a good beginner one for me to start my hobby again and would it work with my older motorized dish or would I need a dish positioner? If you say yes to reciever , I have some questions before my purchase which im unsure of.
    1- What firmware would you recommend I get installed at purchase or are they all similar and do same thing, I presume I get the biggist usb flashdrive and lastly I wont need usb wifi option if i am plugging direct to Ethernet?
    Would be gratefufull for info so I can order my new toy
    Thanks Craig

• Vu Range great boxes and excellent starting point buddy! Well supported also!

Not a 100% sure as i havent setup me Motor dish! (SLAP) lol! but if it was working or is still working/picking up sats with other box im sure it should be ok with VU! (someone will confirm)

Firmware - Vix is a good starting point - Look in our backup images for pics of what it looks like! Most start there and delve into others! Its a simple download > copy to USB > insert into box and switch on to reflash....takes minutes so no hard ship to try and see what suits best! Most work on same principles!

USB - If you dont have a USB lying around you can use grab one, but you may get more for your money if you shop around! Solo will take 2.5 hdd so you will need one of them or an external HDD (powered are better)

Wifi not needed mate and questionable, connect wired via ethernet and use Network homeplugs if needed...better IMO

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• Having both the solo and Duo I can honestly say the best thing you could do is pay a few quid extra and get the Duo.

I find the Solo slower and because you cant use an internal hard drive, a real pain in the rear!

Good box, but compared to the Duo not as good. Go for the Duo, you wont regret it.

VU+ SOLO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!