Network share help between 2 boxes

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,408 times. The last Post () by reeves1985.

• Hi
    This might be a daft question but I have been searching and can't find an answer

I have a dm800se clone upstairs and a new venton hd2 just setup downstairs

Dreambox runs openpli 2.1 and venton runs vix image

Is it possible that I can watch any program recorded on the venton through the dreambox upstairs?

I have NFS setup on the venton with the mount point directed to the hdd

But for the life of me I don't know how to view it on the dreambox

I installed n streamer but it just green screens

And in all honesty I don't know if it is setup correct and if it is what plugin to use on the dreambox to view it

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

• Thanks again I sorted it by using the native network menus and fiddling around
    Now works 100%
    I can watch what I recorded downstairs on the venton on the dreambox upstairs

• Thanks again I sorted it by using the native network menus and fiddling around
    Now works 100%
    I can watch what I recorded downstairs on the venton on the dreambox upstairs

Congratulations..
    A nice step by step account would be greatly valued by other users with similar/same queries..
    If you can get the time ,it would be highly valued ...

• Yeah that's no problem it is actually pretty simple ill put one together over the weekend

The venton uses the vix image ATM which I think the latest vix images are all similar
    But can also be done dreambox to dreambox without any additional plugins

So might be of help to somebody

• I have a similar scenario - basically on the server receiver, you need to enable SAMBA server, and on the client - again you need SAMBA installed, then you just use network browser. This can be used further. Say for example, the client receiver has not got a HDD, you can set it up so the share you have mounted from your server receiver to your client is a HDD replacement. This can then enable you to view the recordings as if they were on a local HDD, and you can also record and timeshift, if your infrustructure is up to it. Ultimately, which is how I have set it up, If your client receiver supports remote channel stream converter http://linuxsat-support.com/vu…eam-converter-plugin.html then you can also use it to seemlessly view channels as if it was connected direct to a sat feed, and you can even set up the EPG to feed directly from the server. My second receiver in the upstairs room is plugged in to the mains, and has a WiFi dongle and that is it, and it acts like the downstairs receiver that is connected to my dishes!
    It is possible as you can see, to have a second receiver that feeds entirely off the first one!

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Yes I haven't tried it as a hdd replacement yet but that was the next step as I don't have a internal hard drie in the dm800se

I don't have samba on the client receiver though just on the server receiver and seems to work fine

• Yes I haven't tried it as a hdd replacement yet but that was the next step as I don't have a internal hard drie in the dm800se

I don't have samba on the client receiver though just on the server receiver and seems to work fine

If you are using NFS then you won't need SAMBA client, SAMBA is for CIFs shares - I use SAMBA because I find it more useful to get everything linked up to my windows PCs as well. Some images would have the protocols installed by default, but ViX for example, you need to install them if you need them, which is simple enough and on the options.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!