Newcomer from FTA to Gigablue quad (enigma, vi+ ...)

There are 22 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,221 times. The last Post () by blackjack21.

• I have recently ordered a Gigablue Quad (with 3 dvb-s2 tuners installed) from this website offcial seller.

In the past, i used only FTA satellite who were very cheap.

After becoming a member of this forum, i discovered people interest in Enignma 2, Vi+ and so on.

I haven't any experience in such a field and i a wondering what is the interest of Enigma 2, Vi+ .... Can i install several files like them or am i limited to one file ? What do i need to install them ?

When i bought ma satellite receiver, i ask to pre-install vi+ (i haven't yet received my receiver).

• HI Bud,

Good choice of box there im sure you will have fun!

In a nutshell

Enigma2 is the operating platform for the receivers, Enigma1 was old, Enigma2 is the latest/uptodate and allows you to use all the goodies/plugins available for these receivers. Bit like DOS,Linux and OS e.t.c

You then have Images that are more like the Operating System/Software - and the major players are Vix, Blackhole, AAF, Vti to name a few! These Images are based loosely on the same functions, just dressed up differently with different UI e.t.c!

Vix is a good starting point for most but its easy to reflash your box with different images so we always advise to try them yourself and see what you like.

Enigma2 boxes offer the use of the latest software and plugins!

Plugins are what we install on Enigma2 platform within the Image Software and these are programs/applications we run within the image.

Like a PC you can install any amount of plugins/apps as you like providing they are compatible (version) and you have enough disk space

I think you asked them to install Vix image? this is a good start and when you get the box post back with any further instructions you need buddy!

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• Thanks for your response, you said that "Enigma2 is the latest/uptodate and allows you to use all the goodies/plugins available for these receivers. Bit like DOS,Linux and OS e.t.c"
    Can you tell me what allow enigma2 compared to default configuration installed in the receiver ?

• Yeah that was probably not the best comparison lol

Its more like a Generation thing!

You have Enigma1, Enigma2 and Closed source! Normally distinguished by age and price!

Anything over £100 is likely to be Enigma2 (Which is top level, best Type of box to use) Vu, Gigablue e.t.c - Plugins, Images e.t.c everything can be used or configured for these boxes!

Under £100 likely to be Enigma1 or Closed Source - so either OLD or Simple like Openboxes e.t.c WYSWYG type of box good for picture/sharing only! and will not allow you to add anything to it! So plugins e.t.c a no no unless supplied by the model/brand!

So if a User wants any and everything the Hobby can offer they go for an Enigma2 box! (which you have done)

After that is your image (Which you have chosen Vix) But can change if needed?

After that are plugins, channel lists e.t.c which can all be found/downloaded from forum or from plugins menu within the Box/Image (Vix)

You set these up how you like for functionality though the box, so channel list for tvs, ondemand plugins for Iplayer e.t.c, Youtube for youtube viewing e.t.c!

All will become clear when you box arrives and you start playing

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• Thank,

I guess i was using a WYSWYG type of box. So, when i receive my new box it's gonna be a new world for me. Therefore, to be prepared, can you advice me how to install Vix, Blackhole, AAF (or others) on it knowing that i intend to use Astra 19,2; Hotbird 13 (with a twin lnb) and Turksat at 42.0 E + another one may be.
    Please feel free to post links (even sevaral) since i may takes long time to respond to this questions.
    PS : GigaBlue Quad and i am a newcomer.

• Official Post

This seems very interesting ... but it seems like chinese for me (sorry).
    Don't you have a link for dummies ? It will be easier for me :muaha:

:lol: Like i said you may not feel comfortable trying this now but might want to later, i don't really know much about this box but maybe somebody will develop a multiboot panel for it which would make things a lot easier for you. Others will be able to advise much better im sure.

• Finally, i received my Gigablue HD quad from world of satellite with openvix preinstalled.

I am a litte bit lost :
    1) how can i choice to watch channels from only one receiver (i have 3 tuners : eutelsat13, astra 19.2 and turksat 42)
    How can i change the position of the channels ?
    Is is possible to watch select channels by category (sport, etc).
    2) I tried to connect my receiver to an ampli => big suprise since i haven't any image or sounds.
    But works when the hdmi cable is directly connected to the tv. RRRr i have an home cinema and i would like to enjoy it
    3) the size of the picture on the screen is too big => when i use the menu i can't read all
    4) Can't have somme channels that are free like TF1, France2, france3, etc.
    5) Youtube?
    6) The manual is only in German ! ! !
    A major incovenient for the moment is the bad quality of channels in SD mode (in HD it's ok)

So a little help would be appreciated.

Best regards

• 7) i have just bought an hard drive for this receiver but i am not sure at all that this receiver as detected this device ? The hard drive is inserted in the receiver's box

• Do i have to format it on my pc before ?

8) Hbbtv ? how it works

if the hdd is already installed inside the quad ,then ,it should be recognised straight away...
    if not ,then mount it as Stevejo suggested,, if you need to initialise it then take a read of this:

All of these steps were taken through DCC or VUcc to be able to communicate to the box using TELNET....

As for HbbTv ,this is an interactive webtv service provided by a few platforms at the moment..
    I use it regularly to catchup on RTVE services(Spain´s national TV service provider)
    HERE is an idea of what it is about : http://linuxsat-support.com/en…-forall-vu-receivers.html

My advice is learn to read+understand before you try anything out...

• My hard drive is already inside the receiver (1To sata).

I tried to fellow your instructions from my pc running XP Pro (am i wrong) but when i type "fdisk -l" i get an error message : invalid command

• Did you telnet the commands to the box ?Are all your connectors to the drive/box pushed home properly ?is this a new drive or is it knowing to have worked previous to you putting it in the box ? if you have any doubts with the drive or telnet connecting to your box i would remove it and hook it up to a pc if none of this has worked for you and delete all partitions and create a new one format it and put it back in the box , may be faster for you

Steve

• Did you telnet the commands to the box ?Are all your connectors to the drive/box pushed home properly ?i

Steve

I just type the command line and i received an message saying "invalid command"
    How can i type this command in order to do the operation within my box ?

What do you mean "Are all to the drive/box pushed home properly"
    I connected the drive to the box (internal drive connected with the internal e-sata port

The hard drive is a new one, i guess it s not formatted (but i don't think that's the problem)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!