suggestions please box upgrade

There are 12 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,254 times. The last Post () by ampedef.

• I currently own an Sbox F5 and while it does what it says on the tin I would like something a bit better. I used to have a dbox2 for cable and would like something that I can play with.
    I don't want to pay much more than £150 but would like a good 7 day epg and be able to record to either internal or external disk. I have been looking at DM800SE and Amik alien but am open to suggestions.

Thanks

We all have to start somewhere

• Official Post

I currently own an Sbox F5 and while it does what it says on the tin I would like something a bit better. I used to have a dbox2 for cable and would like something that I can play with.
    I don't want to pay much more than £150 but would like a good 7 day epg and be able to record to either internal or external disk. I have been looking at DM800SE and Amik alien but am open to suggestions.

Thanks

On your budget this would be my choice buddy.

Code
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/MaxDigital-Linux-HD-Receivers/MK-MaxDigital-XP1000-Single-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver
  • Many thanks for your suggestion, it seems that I have four firmware options, official firmware, vix team, openaaf and openpli I was told by a friend that openpli was best for the dreambox but I honestly have no idea what functions I can expect from any of these. I also notice that the box is pre order only at the moment and I wanted a new toy now ;)

So any advice regards the firmware or alternative boxes is much appreciated

• Official Post

Many thanks for your suggestion, it seems that I have four firmware options, official firmware, vix team, openaaf and openpli I was told by a friend that openpli was best for the dreambox but I honestly have no idea what functions I can expect from any of these. I also notice that the box is pre order only at the moment and I wanted a new toy now ;)

So any advice regards the firmware or alternative boxes is much appreciated

Favorite image is very much down to individual choice mate so your best bet is to try them all & find what suits you, going by the feedback i have read on here & other boards whatever image you choose will be far superior to anything the alien box can offer. I am not 100% sure on this but imagine the reason the xp1000 is not available for immediate delivery is this.
    [h=1]We're closed for our annual Summer shutdown from 1st August to 18th August[/h]

• I would agree with all that has been said above but what I would do in your situation m8, is make do with the F5 for another few months and save the extra £100 or so to get up to the Duo or £150 for the Solo2..
    These box's are as good as it gets and you will have all the support you need..
    It broke my back at the time to get a Solo2 but I don't regret it one bit now..

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Official Post

I would agree with all that has been said above but what I would do in your situation m8, is make do with the F5 for another few months and save the extra £100 or so to get up to the Duo or £150 for the Solo2..
    These box's are as good as it gets and you will have all the support you need..
    It broke my back at the time to get a Solo2 but I don't regret it one bit now..

I would forget about a duo in all honesty but only my opinion, should you decide to save up & wait a bit longer then make it the solo2. Yes it is nearly double the budget but the solo2 is miles ahead of the duo even though the prices don't suggest it.

I would forget about a duo

Agreed, the duo has its limitations and for the sake of £50 the solo2 would be the obvious choice.

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• For stabilty and picture/sound quality the Golden media triplex is the best box around at 120notes with triple tuners, spark maybe not have all the e2 crashing plugins but it does what it says on the tin. Buy hey its dual boot so you can have all them on the e2 side anyway.

• would the vu+ solo HD be in the same league as the above mentioned, I can see those selling for about £110

That will be a clone at that price which is a risk and probably why nobody has advised it..you can buy an original vu solo from the website sponsor for £179.99 - £10 if you order before the 18th of august when you use the discount code which is posted on the sponsors section.

Due to the lack of ram memory in the solo you will have to use an external hdd or a usb pen to store epg etc

• Thank you all for your replies. I'm edging towards the maxdigital xp1000 or Golden media triplex and then perhaps buy a solo2 later. I can give my F5 away or sell it later. It sounds like you get what you pay for but when this is just a toy for me I think I would prefer to spend £130 at the moment rather than the £309 for the better box. I will do some reading to compare these 2 boxes to see wich suits my needs the best.

• May I suggest the VU+ Solo2. I bought this VU as I started on the road with Linux, and with all the help and support and software on this site I can highly recommend it. My own personal choice.

1.2 CM motorised, Inverto Black Pro lnb, V box, VU+ Solo2 42" Panasonic + 5.1 S.S.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!