VFD woes.... please, please, please.... HELP!!

There are 15 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,290 times. The last Post () by Glav.

• I hope someone can enlighten me as there seems to be a lack of info in this subject, probably because VFD's have been used for a long time.... IDK.

I'm a newb, just received my first Linux STB, the lovely, the amazing, Duo2!! I am pretty tech savvy and i'm already pretty confident using my new toy, but i can't seem to get the VFD panel working properly.

The LCD is setup perfectly, but the VFD just shows " double your expectations" at all times.

I'm using masterg's blackhole 2.0.5 back up but have update the lcd4linux plugin to 3.7r4 mips32el version (can't find the link now). I've tried different versions of skin_user.xml found on the web by putting them in /etc/enigma2/ and rebooting but always the same problem.

Does anyone know a solution?

Many thanks in advance

• Master G,

You're the man.

Thanks for the quick reply, just rectified the introduction issue, thanks for pointing it out to me.

I have worked that much out so far, haha! The LCD display (the colour one to the left) works perfectly, it's the VFD that i'm struggling with.

All it ever displays is the "double your expectation" mantra, it has worked at some point, but i've loaded another lcd4linux config and it may have stopped working then, i'm not sure.

Are the two screens linked by lcd4linux, or are the completely seperate config files?

Thanks

• Just remembered, not sure whether it matters....

I updated the libusb to 0.1-4 due to dependencies for lcd4linux 3.7r4.

Would that cause the issue?

• Thanks for the suggestion caz,

How do i install that on black hole? When i go to firmware upgrade all i see is FGPA.

Also, i read that the VFD controller upgrade is built in to 2.0.5, is that right?

I see you have a backup image, does that have the update built in?

Just another note, i did a re-flash an hour ago and have done nothing else since.On first boot it worked, after a reboot I had left the USB stick in and noticed that instead of the "double your expectation" message, i was stuck with the CFE V2 confirmation, until i rebooted, then back to the same old DYE....

Will try re-flashing once more and make sure i remove the USB stick immediately aftfer the process has finished, just in case thats causing an issue.

I doubt it, though i'm happy to get used to playing with it and it gives me something to do until while i wait patiently for further advice.

Thanks again

• Apologies for my relentless posting, i hope i'm not breaking any rules.

OK, after doing some more research in to this and spending some time trying to get to the bottom of my problem (which is something i should have probably done before starting the thread) i've narrowed the problem down further and this probably falls under the VFD controller issue, can someone verify?

After initial flash i immediately removed the USB stick and on boot i was greeted with a beautiful VFD display, however when i switch channels the screen appears to glitch, sometimes it stays that way and sometimes the display corrects itself after another channel change. After a while it turns off completely until i reboot and i have the same problem.

I have made a backup of my almost complete image and started with a fresh image so i can find the route of this problem, i hope someone can help.

Does anyone know how to install the duo2.bin.vfd? Have tried both methods described here:
    Archive of Vu+

But the firmware update for the VFD controller doesn't show in the list, just FGPA. And when i try to do it manually using the browser it says the file i chose was incorrect and does nothing.

Anyway, i think that covers it.

Happy to be learning at least, and the VFD is the only thing i'm stuck with right now, so it's not a massive loss, but i'm a perfectionist so i need to have it working, haha!

• Also, how do i check i have the latest drivers? and how do i install them if i don't?

Could probably look it up but seen as i'm here......

• Further observations.....

I have now tried the Backup Image by Ferret (as well as Master G's) and both Stock Blackhole and th latest version of the Vu+ Firmware. The only one that had the VFD working properly was the Vu+ Image.

Also, i couldn't see the VFD Controller update in firmware upgrade on either.

Am i missing something? Is there a way to check whether i have the VFD controller already installed?

I find it hard to beleive i am the only one experiencing this problem, could it be a faulty unit? (please say no, i'm smitten with it)

• When you use the Firmware upgrade plugin you can toggle what you want to upgrade with the left/right buttons.
    Main spashscreen says Firmware FPGA b
    next toggle says Firmware Front Processor
    next Firmware VFD Controller

Then Green to upgrade and follow on screen instructions

• tomthebomb,

Thanks for letting me know, seems that was the newbiest question of the day....

Tried that and updated the drivers to no avail. It's really weird, it's only happening with BH 2.0.5 images, including stock BH (as in, not from someone else's backup).

Any way decided to try another image, openViX 3.0, works a charm, and i like a lot of the default config, such as the quick buttons. Just a few more snags before i reach my image of perfection, but i'll raise these issues in the right place.

Not sure if this thread should be closed or not, the problem wasn't resolved and and while i hope no one else is having the same issue, but it would interesting to know. But i suppose they could start a new thread.

Thanks for all the help chaps.

• My advice is install a clean official BH Image v 2.0.6, not backup image. Then install cam's, plugins and addons yourself separately. It not hard and solved all my issues.

Good luck

VU+ DUO 2 PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!