Virgin Super Hub

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,905 times. The last Post () by multipack.

• Hey guys, ok so currently on sly broadband but since been advised that sharing through sly broadband can throw a few curve balls and best change isp. So the day came today and virgin came out, installed broadband with a nice shinny router with funky blue lights, lol. Still got sly broadband until ive set everything up correctly. Just wondering if anyone has been in the same boat as me and can offer any assistance or point me in the right direction.
    My setup at the minute is I have an ubuntu server on 12.04.3 and seperate computer with cs studio to manage server and oscam for card reader. So know ive gotta access the virgin router settings and try setup a static ip address for server (should I make it the same as it is now, ie 192.168.0.10? or is there a better way to do it). Ive gotta open a port, guessing its the same port as ive opened on sly? Once done, is it a case of connecting server and other computer to virgin and presto or have I missed something?
    Cant help but feel like ive gotta do something with my dns account?
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated guys.
    Dan

• Get a DSL router and put the superhub into modem mode, it saves all the fannying about and it works better than using the superhub on its own.

The VM superhub is pretty much a waste of time for CS. Port forwarding is hit and miss and the wireless is also pretty crap most of the time. To be brutally honest its a pretty crap router when all is said and done.

Virgin has a tendency to stay on the same IP address for months on end. If you use the router in modem mode you can either keep the IP address given or if you want to change it, you just change the mac address on the router and reboot the hub and the router. VM will then re-assign a new IP address to your connection.

Nano

Edited once, last by nano ().

• The ports are on the back on mine. I tried for several weeks to get it working but it constantly stopped port forwarding and there were several black spots in my house on the Wireless side. I've had it about 18 months and even after software updates it didn't get any better. Before that i had the older Netgear hub which worked really well, then they sent me the pile of crap pictured below.

The only good thing about is that it looks the part.

9f810.jpg

Nano

• I would try the VM hub, some people say they have got it working. It may have got better with firmware updates. Mines been in modem mode for the last 18 months so if the firmware has got better i wouldn't really know. Using a separate router was just an easier option which worked well.

As for a router recommendation I would ask on the forum. I use a Netgear N600 with mine which some people say is ok and others say it isn't. I find the wireless range is marginally better than the VM hub, about 10% better i would say as a rough guess, but most importantly there are no port forwarding issues with it.

Nano

Edited once, last by nano ().

• Ok know this post has been up some time but VM have taken over Smallworld in Irvine and we are supossed to be getting there gear over the next few months, as I have already my own wireless router is it best for me to put it into modem mode and use my own router its a new tplink duel band.

Having never been with vm before all help appreciated.

• I found putting the hub into modem mode worked the best as there was port forward issues with latest model.

It will also mean you won't have to change any settings if you continue to use your own router.

Nano

• Virmin keep offering me the superhub!!
    I just keep knocking em back after so many bad reports read over the last 2yrs?

Do as Nano says use super-hub in modem mode!!
    As regarding your TP-link router m8,
    You should have no probs with it?
    Iv had mine around 5yrs & had no issue's with drop-outs or port forwarding bud :-)

If my post helps hit the Thanks ;-)

• have got super hub 2 .. seems ok so far.. only problem no dns settings so using updater software on pc

I would rather use my old router as had dns in the router only problem I checked speed with old router and new hub and

it was 80-90 mb so I ditched the router now I get 160mb.. going to see how the updater performs ..if crap will have to bite the bullet and loose my speed ((((

RESPECT OTHER PEER, PUT ALWAYS A FTA CHANNEL WHEN YOU DON'T WATCH TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1438883374.png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!