Spanish problem!

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 740 times. The last Post () by macsporran.

• Hi guys,

Suggestions please! My sister and brother-in-law live in the South of Spain. They are using a DM800se with a 1.3m static dish. Their dish is on the roof of a 5-storey building, and they have to use a 60m cable to connect. The dish points to 28.2E, but quite a lot of channels are breaking up. The SNR varies from over 80% down to less than 40%. It seems that things have slightly changed recently.

Is it likely that recent bad weather has moved the dish very slightly, or, the long cable run is diminishing the signal, or, could it be a bad installation? I would be grateful for opinions on the probable cause of this.

Mac

1m Motorised dish. ET5x00, DM800HD, TM600

• Has it ever been right since it was put in there was changes to the beam but im sure that was about 2 months ago , 60 m is a long cable but Not too long If there are no tight bends or kinks in it , if it never been right it may be worth trying an inline amplifier but it would be best at the lnb end of the cable because if its at the box side it will also amplify the noise also and defeat the point of trying it

• Thanks for that stevejo. I set up the box here in Scotland before sending to them, this was about 7-8 months ago. It does look like a recent alteration, but I'm still not sure. The cable run can probably be discounted since there are no kinks or sharp bends. Most beams will obviously be weaker because they live on the edge of the footprint, near Gibraltar. My amateur thought was, that since the original signal to them is weak, any very slight dish movement would make a bigger difference than it would here, but I don't know enough to be sure. I really don't want someone "mountaineering" if the problem could be fixed box-end.

Mac

• Thanks for that stevejo. I set up the box here in Scotland before sending to them, this was about 7-8 months ago. It does look like a recent alteration, but I'm still not sure. The cable run can probably be discounted since there are no kinks or sharp bends. Most beams will obviously be weaker because they live on the edge of the footprint, near Gibraltar. My amateur thought was, that since the original signal to them is weak, any very slight dish movement would make a bigger difference than it would here, but I don't know enough to be sure. I really don't want someone "mountaineering" if the problem could be fixed box-end.

Mac

hello macsporren,
    i live about 3 hours drive inland from gibraltar, and i can tell you this last 2 weeks have seen some real nasty windy weather so i am sure its a tweak of the dish you need to align it again,

• hi, 60 meter cable is ok ,better is you have good quality cable ,not chinese one, yes you have to realine your dish and lnb

by professional is better and clean the end connector f , and you have to disconnect from electric your dm 800 se,when you do the job.

notice not long astra 28.2 go change again satelitte and print foot soon ,so maybe big change .

• Thanks a lot guys! The info looks to be spot on.

I haven't been posting long here, but because of response, I'll probably have a lot more to say.

Mac

• One more thing to add , as rami says ,make sure its a professional technician to do the job as they are the only ones permitted by law to obtain the keys from community administration to get onto rooftop ..
    also I would update the latest channel settings.. maybe even replace the lnb with a 0.1 /0.2 high gain lnb ...

• Bringing back some memories here macsporran as i used to own a sat company on the costa for a couple of years in early 2000...wish i was still there and i would be if it was,nt for the lack of work :(

Fitted plenty of 1.3 dishes too with cable runs upto 100 meters no problem/the cable i used for standard installations was from ntl cable engineers in the uk but when i ran out and had to buy some from traders namely (paco) in malaga it was always quality cable that had a foam filled dielectric..this was the only cable available to us at that time so the cable should be fine unless its suffered water ingress from a poor installation..i would'nt bother installing an inline amp either unless your bro in law thinks his box might have a weak tuner.

Official ***boxes are best to tell if you have signal problems but get your bro in law to see if the BER bar is showing anything high and if it is it will be as said above regarding dish alignment/like all countries that are fighting for a signal due to the footprint..lnb scew is very important and i mean by the millimeter.

Good luck amigo

mk

• Everything points to a small adjustment at the dish. I've advised him to wait for a significant improvement in the weather. When I get a result, I'll be glad to post it here, but in the meantime, thanks for all the input, invaluable info.

Mac

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!