clueless

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 721 times. The last Post () by nano.

• hi, this is my first post here-hello-
    i've been with sly for many years and have just cancelled, so i'm looking for a receiver. i am clueless on this subject but willing to learn :06::06::06::06: so heres a few questions- what can i do with a say vu+ solo/duo2 that i cannot with a cheap crappy slybox or any other chinese cheapo. money isnt much of a concern but the solo2 might be as much as i'm willing to spend- are there alternatives.
    all i wan't do do really is get, ahem, 28.2 channels, with record and pause etc, tv players, stream videos on tinternet and some crappy apps like youtube.
    And finally, i know nothing about this but im not a complete idiot- dont have a problem flashing custom roms on rooted phones etc so would the initial setup be obvious and fluid, without anyone knowing my abilities( or lack off)
    thanks in advance

forgot to say i also want a box that supports a wireless generic keyboard and mouse- my tv a d8000 46 doesnt support keyboard/mouse and the interface is really annoying

• Hi and welcome.

Based on your post I'd say you have some serious research ahead of you. Not sure the "Chinese Cheapo" comment is even accurate anymore either as almost all VU+ production is now China based and Chinese Dreambox clones have outshone the orginals for years now. My DUO2 was made in China and yes it is genuine.

The simple answer to your question about boxes in general is you get what you pay for.

I have the Duo2. I'll be honest, as I was nurtured on Dreamboxes, it took me a while to warm to VU+ but I have never looked back since I bit the bullet and bought one. The Solo2 would have actually done me nicely but having had a DM800SE for so long I had fallen in love with the, to some silly, LCD display on the front. The one on the DUO2 is a beauty and configurable to ones hearts content to even display a rolling Powerpoint type presentation while you watch TV. There's a great thread on this very forum with a fine example of this. It also has quad tuner capability and these are plugable as oposed to being fixed on the Solo2.

OK the Duo2 is megabucks and TBH the LCD thing is a bit of a gimmic. So we are actually back to the Solo2 or are we? There are other contenders out there that should not be ignored. The Gigablue Quad for example. Check it out on the forum sponsors website. You'll be quite surprised at how close its spec is to the Duo2's and for around half the price.

Decisions, decisions..........:snicker:

Styboxes and similar are pretty basic but not completely without merit. They are ideal for those who can content themselves with clicking and watching or as a second bedroom box. They are a big no, no for the real sat enthusiast and the tinkering that accompanies such a personality. Also totally out of the question for multisat unless you are willing to spend hours chopping channel lists down to size to allow adding selective channels from multiple satellites. Not sure if they ever got the EPG, PVR or advertised Mediaplayer to work as described either. Certainly never did during the time I had the misfortune of owning an S10.

If you want a box that is progressive, customisable and continually evolving then it has to be an Enigma based box. Ultimately the choice has to be yours and yours alone but one of the most important factors in deciding is to ensure the one you choose has good image support and is well spoken of in forums such as these. The Solo2 would fit this bill perfectly.

If you can root and flash a phone (Hd2 for example) then flashing an E2 box and setting it up will be a doddle.

Finally, if you have cancelled your sub you should know that to get adopted into any CS ring you will need a valid sub of your own to share with others else you will not even pass go. Doesn't have to be an expensive sub but is should be one that is desirable to others.

Good luck in your quest.

Edited 3 times, last by dirtydonki ().

• thanks dirtydonki (btw i have 2 donkeys-don't slag the donks ) . the gigablue quad-at least here in ireland is largely the same price as the solo2, maybe a few quid cheaper but ill have a good look. i'll simplfy my question- am i wasting my money on a solo2 if as in my 1st post thats all i want to do (for the present)?

• At the end of the day it all depends on what you want from the box. If your hoping that any of these boxes are going to open channels for free then you are going to be seriously disappointed. There are only three ways of opening channels without using a 5ky box.

1. Put your paid up subscriber card into what ever receiver you buy,
    2. Buy a different card and share with somebody who has a 5ky card
    3. The only other way breaks forum rules so i'm not even going to go there.

To be totally honest you have missed the boat for cheap UK subscription based TV by about six months. 5ky are in the middle of pairing all its cards to the receiver which at the moment is stopping Premium and HD content from being shared. It will only take 5ky to move the basic subscription channels under this pairing method and all you will be looking at is a blank screen.

There are plugins available for most Enigma 2 based boxes that allow you to use youtube, IPTV, BBC I Player etc and there are a few channels on other satellites that can be opened by keys.

Unfortunately because of the greed of payservers and manufacturers of crappy chinese CS capable boxes like the 5kybox and Openbox, card sharing will probably become a thing of the past in the not to distant future.

Nano

• thanks nano, in no way do i think a linux st box will unlock sly channels, was presuming cs ( paid for), i have no idea on number 3 " The only other way breaks forum rules so i'm not even going to go there."- never even presume another option existed but i'll have a gander.
    "To be totally honest you have missed the boat for cheap UK subscription based TV by about six months. 5ky are in the middle of pairing all its cards to the receiver which at the moment is stopping Premium and HD content from being shared. It will only take 5ky to move the basic subscription channels under this pairing method and all you will be looking at is a blank screen."
    if this is true, and i have no reason to doubt you, then all of it seems pointless as between my tv- freesat, freeview and soarview and the old sly hd box as a receiver, why would anyone buy an expensive box.
    maybe your answer is the prescient truth.

• The reason they are pairing the cards is to stop payservers and the people that use them. Because of Payservers and the people that use them we will all be losing 5ky UK.

No.3 is referring to paid for services from a payserver which if you would have bothered to read the rules you would know that the payserver scumbags and the people that use them are despised on this forum and they are not supported in any form. Since you have now clearly stated what your intentions are I.e Paid for CS no more help will be forthcoming. I suggest you look elsewhere for your information.

Thread Closed

Edited once, last by nano ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!