Card Sharing exposed by the BBC (busts will follow for sure) bbc1 tonight 7.30pm

There are 26 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,759 times. The last Post () by brad.

• Official Post
    Code
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26052012

Pirated *** and Virgin TV sold for £10 a month

Criminal gangs selling hacked pay television services at a fraction of their true cost have been exposed by a BBC investigation.

Subscribers to satellite or cable TV can pay more than £80 a month to legitimately receive premium packages.

But fraudsters were caught on camera selling set-top boxes which access equivalent packages for £10 per month.

In light of the findings, experts warned hacked satellite and cable TV is increasing and becoming the "new norm".

Continue reading the main story
    How it works

The television signal is received in the usual way, but it is encrypted by the broadcasters in an attempt to prevent piracy. The boxes use the internet to stream the encryption key, allowing the viewer to receive channels. Premier League football, movie premieres - nothing is beyond reach.

One of the fraudsters exposed by the BBC London/Inside Out investigation was Gyula Markovits, a Venezuelan satellite dish installer living in south London. He sold hacked boxes that receive every conceivable channel for less than an eighth of the normal monthly price.

While installing a hacked system, Mr Markovits was secretly recorded saying: "Yes, of course it's illegal - you're getting something for free that you should be paying for.

"They never go after the customers anyway, they go after the guy that runs the network.

"You can buy the box and it shows you all the *** channels for one year - I do it myself. That's a very underground thing, really."

Start Quote

So many people are doing it, it is becoming the norm”

Dr Luke McDonagh
    Copyright law expert
    He boasted that he had 150 customers, generating him almost £20,000 a year in illicit income. Mr Markovits subsequently denied all wrongdoing.

Another fraudster, who called himself Ahmed, sold numerous fraudulent packages to researchers from satellite TV shop Golsat in Upton Park, east London.

He said of the £150 access to all *** movies and sport: "This is nothing for what you [are] going to watch, seriously."

Within days of being confronted with the BBC's evidence, Golsat appeared to shut down.

A poster on the door said it had "closed for refurbishment". Ahmed did not respond to a request for a comment.

Under the Copyright Act, those convicted of supplying the equipment could face a 10-year jail sentence and unlimited fine.

***, BT and Virgin have all refused to reveal how many cases of hacked TV they encounter a year.

A customer's view

Nicola Humphries, an estate agent from Maida Vale, said: "I'm paying £27 a month - it's not easy when you've got lots of other things to pay for as well. If I'm paying and someone else is paying virtually nothing for that service, I'm thinking why should they be paying for that service? They shouldn't be getting that service.

But the BBC heard of dozens of examples of the fraud spread right across the UK, both in terms of tip-offs and cases currently going through the courts.

It is a nationwide problem, with Swansea and Cardiff highlighted as hotspots for pubs using cracked boxes to stream Premier League football.

During the investigation, the BBC accompanied City of London Police's Intellectual Property Crime Unit raiding an individual in Liverpool suspected of being the ringleader of a gang supplying the boxes to customers around the country.

Documentation was seized and officers continue to investigate.

'More widespread'
    The BBC heard reports from the police of numerous gangs. Managers at Golsat and Mr Markovits were recorded saying that they were part of a wider gang, implementing, managing, selling and marketing the devices that perpetuated the fraud.

And Dr Luke McDonagh, an expert in copyright law at Cardiff University, warns the crime is becoming "the norm" and could soon be as widespread as the illegal streaming of music and movies online.

He said: "The problem is there, it's getting more widespread and the big broadcasters are trying to cut down on it by targeting the criminal enterprises that are running these pirated systems.

Code
    The hacked set-top boxes stream encryption codes from the internet
    "But it's very difficult to crack down on the use of cracked decoders by consumers - so many people are doing it, it is becoming the norm.

"If it continues then we may see the broadcasters having to change their model like the music industry has with things like Spotify - it could become that wide-scale."

The Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact) warned the illegal pirating of paid-for television was not a victimless crime.

It said money lost to the broadcasters might impact on the commissioning of new drama, while the Premier League loses out on cash that could be passed on to grass-roots football.

Fact spokesman Eddy Leviten said: "Is it fair that someone will be able to steal from someone else and that person will not be not paid for their work?

"That impacts not just on that one single person but on their families as well, all those who rely on that income."

'Significant criminal enterprise'
    One of the individuals exposed has now been referred to trading standards.

A spokesman for Newham council said that as a result of the BBC's investigation the authority had referred Mr Markovits and his business to its trading standards team.

Between them ***, Virgin and BT have 17.5m legitimate pay-TV customers.

Det Insp Andy Fyfe, of City of London Police, said: "This causes a lot of economic harm to the United Kingdom - it's very important we the police take action against those who are criminally supplying set-top boxes.

"This is on a relatively large scale, a number of hundred outfits and organisations across the country.

"It all adds up to a significant criminal enterprise which is the sort of thing we are set up to try and defeat."

Inside Out is broadcast on BBC One London on Monday, 10 February at 19:30 GMT and nationwide on the iPlayer for seven days thereafter.

• Great timing bbc expose the issue of cardsharing when it almost coming to an end on sly

• If the stuck up, head in the sand, EPL/FA/etc opened up 3PM football on a PPV basis then they'd claw in even more revenue from domestic customers. Coz I for one would be happy to fork out something like £9.99 per game as I am sure would many others.

Sure this would not stop piracy but I think it would go a long way to reduce it's uptake.

• Official Post

Its on...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03v37bw

nothing on bbc at 7.30pm tonite about this id say *** blocked it last thing they want is everyone known this

• Its always the same, a small % of hungry B@stards causing all the ripples and ruining it for everyone..

but this by The Federation Against Copyright Theft:

the Premier League loses out on cash that could be passed on to grass-roots football

Is very laughable..

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• it was only broadcast on bbc london, i watched it, it was the usual polarised scare tactics reporting not quite getting everything right. ensuring they only showed up close the cartons for '***box' receivers, yet showing dreambox receivers piled up on their desk. with the on screen message saying 'you are using an illegal set top box' showing the person watching it, even though they said virgin media, they implied that thats what happens with these receivers.

so much of that 'story' was inaccurate, its laughable. its sole purpose was to scare the public from buying the pre configured receivers, which makes me think that maybe *** have lost control to an extent. if it was this huge epedemic (which from our perspective as hobbyists, it actually IS) then surely *** could stop it, but, now its so huge, with some card servers boasting thousands of paying clients, if *** was to spend ~£40 million replacing viewing cards, and some of these servers are so big, whats to stop a server putting up a £500k pot to entice hackers to work for them ensure they get their cards back online, and then get even more customers as other servers will be down?

maybe this programme has been paid for to scare the public, as thats now their only option that wont cost millions of quids, and fail? (<< conspiracy theory lol)

• Its really shocking what money *** are losing Rupert wants a bigger Yacht than Roman. Come on have a heart! He deserves it.

No word on this program of *** ringing old people and trying to force/scare them to take out insurance & £65 call out Etc.

• this hobby has evolved for years and years inc onward and upwards to new iptv systems and all fully legal - and im sure many many time's people have said it here and lots of other forums but.... i bite lip ... ive got to say it again.....

do we really think *** dont come to every forum and read up on whats being said in reply to, and not limited to, programmes (bbc1)/system changes/new encription changes/ ectect,
    where we the (hobbyist) simply feed back here out new finding's allowing *** to read up and change tactics again and throw a new spanner in the works again, and then the p*y s**vers grab the solutions for thier own gains once again.

now every one to their own devices live and let llive but why report everything in forums open to all to read, on the flip side we have freedom of information and such, freedom funny word........

suppose my point is not every last deatil sould be in the open may just kept back a little until its know who is asking and rec the info.

sorry guys just open thoughts when on dinner at work!!!!

• They deserve to be caught for the way they are selling, but to be honest was more like advertising cos everyone that never knew now does and will be looking for an f3 box etc for a hobbyist yes you may say who would pay £130 for an f3 but for a punter tight for cash its a treasure trove ,pretty sick to be honest as there is a big difference when its a hobby to get other packages that you cant subscribe to in the uk, these are the people killing the hobby hence the site rules ,glad they didnt say it was card sharing cos it isnt :)

• Had to laugh when they mentioned the camera men ,makeup artists and their families losing money.Sly must pay them on commission of new customers :)

• Had to laugh when they mentioned the camera men ,makeup artists and their families losing money.Sly must pay them on commission of new customers :)

That female annoyed me when she said im having to pay for them to get it for free the cow , Does she think the price will come down if more people pay , I think not !! besides im actually paying more now to have things on my card I dont actually watch to attract shares of different subs so from a hobby side im sure they have customers paying more in most cases but that doesnt cover for the mess payservers are making of all this

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!