before i buy could you help ?

There are 3 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 883 times. The last Post () by steve67474.

• i am about to buy my first receiver running on linux but need some help, ive been on cable for years and pretty much new nothing about cable boxes at first but learnt pretty fast how to keep them operational.
    well now due to me having a holiday / retirment home in france i use satellite equipment and im totally lost at the moment, im off to the house next thursday and im looking at a dreambox receiver that has the following info attached to it,

""Brand New Dreambox 800HD PRO Satellite Receiver with Rev-M tuner & Bootloader 82.

Comes with CCCAM and *** UK Bouquet so it is almost plug and play."

now i apologise sincerely if im not supposed to have posted quotes like this but i need advice, so here goes, is this box "plug and play" as stated or does it need any further work to get it up and running ? ive read the forum tonight but im starting to wonder if its as easy as the old cable boxes the most confusing for me is everyone seems to know whats going on and i can't find the basics such as what exactely is "cccam"
    thanks for any help guys and girls, regards gary.

• thank you, i got carried away chatting to friends at work and totally forgot what time it was and ended up forgetting to bid on the box before it ended, however it did not sell and the seller is pretty local to me so ive pm'd him to see if he will still sell it. i want to take it with me to my house in france on thursday rather then take the bulky *** hd box again.

• Hi Gary,
    I was weened on the cable scene like you and knew it inside out if you know what I mean. I am on the same learning curve but a bit further up it. The support here is second to none with great tuts. Perservere m8 and I am sure you will get there I can see light at the end of the tunnel now. Thing is with these boxes the more you fook up the more you learn in most cases you can always recover a box and I have the same box as you m8. Messed it up a few times but now am getting to grips with it. If I can help as a newbie I will but loads on here to help you. Sometimes its where to start with all this new terminology. I remember the cable for beginners guide it was the bible. If I can get there m8 I am sure u can. Hope this helps.

Steve

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!