FlashExpander plugin with USB or HDD

There are 32 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 33,837 times. The last Post () by taghlaoui.

• you dont have to use a plugin

Copy the folder
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions

to /media/usb or /media/hdd

Delete the folder Extensions from its original place folder /Plugins

using dreambox control centre make new symlink in folder /Plugins
    right click select new symlink

for usb type

target : /media/usb/Extensions
    name : Extensions

for hdd type

target : /media/hdd/Extensions
    name : Extensions

reboot

• I hope someone can pick this up as its quite an old post. I been looking for a way to expand my flash dm800se pli4 , I have done the above post and moved exceptions to my hard drive. I cannot access the plugins now they are there in extensions on my hard drive but when i go into plugins on dm menu i only have 3 plugins that i can access. Can anyone shed any light on this for me, i would really like to be able to utilise my hdd for plugins as there are quite a lot of plugins i want to use and the flash just aint big enough.

• Thanks very much for that G-OGI i had the skin mover installed but it was mapped to the usb which the system was not recognising and i didn't know how to change it to the hdd Your help has solved that problem for me and i now have 9mb free space in flash. I would like to download an xmvc plugin or koi or something like that. I would like to watch live football (west ham LoL) films tv series and tv series boxes. What would you recommend to accommodate all these. And once again thanks for your help in this.

• Hi all, Just to let you know the way I move my plugins to make more space in to use telnet on DCC copy and paste this:

init 3
    mv /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins /media/usb
    ln -s /media/usb/Plugins /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins
    init 4

the box goes black leave for 5 mins then reboot done.

regards Steve.

• im using an internal hdd and want to move some installed plugins from flash to hdd so i can free up some space. however after installing pluginskinmover and directing destination file to hdd plugin folder it doesn't allow me to move flash plugins. it says "no device to /media/hdd/plugins/ mounted plugin movement not possible. my hdd is mounted to my box with ext3 format.

please help

• Try to use PluginSkinMover the last version. It is a much better plugin, but you need USB stick.

Here you have the guide [How-To] Plugin/Skin Mover Guide

• init 3
    mv /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins /media/usb
    init 4

steve29662 you are wrong about init 3 and init 4 order, at least for OpenPLI.

in openpli the right steps are:

init 4

"This stops Enigma2 (operating system) gracefully" - OpenPLI Wiki

df -h

Use this command to identity the USB filesystem path.

Example: /dev/sda1    3.6G   18.8M   3.4G   1%   /media/usb

My USB is 4G, and /dev/sda1 device has size of 3.6G (Almost 4G) so it is my USB.

Replace sda1 with your USB name

umount /dev/sda1

This is similar to eject in windows.

The following command will erase your USB data. Make sure it is empty.

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

This command will format your USB with ext3 filesystem.

If you don't do that, symlinks and files permissions will not be moved to USB.

enter 'y' for 'yes' when it asks about data losing.

mkdir /media/usb

This will make an usb directory, in which the USB will be mounted in.

mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb

This will mount the USB in the usb folder we created.

cp -r /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins /media/usb

This will copy (not moving) Plugins folder to USB.

If any error appears. Please stop here and solve it.

diff -qr /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/ /media/USB/Plugins/

This command will show the differences between the Plugins folder of enigma and of USB.

If everything copied successfully, no output will show up.

If anything appears. Please stop here and start over.

rm -rf /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins

This will remove the Plugins folder inside enigma.

This will create a symlink in the box of the Plugins folder that has been moved to USB.

So anything want to access Plugins will be redirected to USB.

ls -l /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins

The ouput should be something like /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins -> /media/usb/Plugins

(In SSH this should be in blue, if red; USB not inserted or mountpoint has been changed, see the error section below).

init 3

"This wakes enigma from the "sleeping" state and restarts the GUI (Graphical User Interface)." - OpenPLI Wiki.

Wait until enigma boot up and then go to Plugins in enigma.

If there are no errors run reboot.

Plugins error or enigma stuck loading after reboot:

If any error appears when opening Plugins or enigma stuck on loading after reboot.

Make sure that USB is inserted.

Connect again via telnet or SSH and run:

init 4

df -h

Identify your USB mountpoint (look under Mounted on).

for me it is /media/usb.

ln -sf /media/usb/Plugins /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins

This will update Plugins symlink.

init 3

IMPORTANT: Get USB back to FAT32 to use it with Windows

If you want to reuse your USB under Windows, you need to reformat it with FAT32. YOU WILL LOSE ANY DATA ON IT;

Use one of the following methods:

• In enigma:
      • install exFAT filesystem support: opkg update && opkg install exfat-utils
      • format USB, replace sda1 with your USB name: mkfs.exfat /dev/sda1
    • In Windows:
      • press Windows+R
      • run diskmgmt.msc
      • right-click on your USB (MAKE SURE IT IS YOUR USB) and select Delete Partition
      • choose yes for data losing
      • right-click on it again and select New Simple Volume option
      • follow the dialog wizard just make sure to choose FAT32 in format section and check Perfom a quick format also give it a good name ;)

Edited 4 times, last by taghlaoui: Just replace a wrong command bcs there is no mks.vfat in linux (Sorry for my ignorance). Also I highlighted some parts, I repair a grammer mistake and I make the last part readable. ().

• In enigma:

install exFAT filesystem support: opkg update && opkg install exfat-utils
    format USB, replace sda1 with your USB name: mkfs.exfat /dev/sda1

Correction:

extFAT is not the known FAT32, but according to google it is a modern version of FAT32 and it is compatible with WINDOWS and MAC.

Sorry for my ignorance, I just don't want to edit the post again (I disturbed LinuxSat-Support staff with my edits), and I am not sure 100% (can't test it right now).

But, Here is how to format with FAT32 in enigma (not sure):

install dosfstools then umount USB by (replace sda1 with your USB device name) umount /dev/sda1 and run mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sda1 or mkfs.msdos -F 32 /dev/sda1

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!