Pause when turning over channel

There are 36 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,331 times. The last Post () by Mee®kat.

• Hi guys
    I'm using a vu duo with vix 3.0 installed, the trouble I'm having is when I'm in epg and I select a channel and hit ok the screen goes black and I have to wait for 3 to 4 seconds for the programme I want appears.
    I have a 500gb Hd installed
    Still learning about these confusing boxes, so appologies if I have not given any more info.
    Is this a setting problem?
    thanks

• Hi
    No its on every channel I turn to.. And yes I've installed picons I think their on the HDD.. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie.

• Hi
    No its on every channel I turn to.. And yes I've installed picons I think their on the HDD.. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie.

Thats why then, storing picons on a HDD causes the HDD to have to spin up on every channel change, this can easily add a 5 second lag to channel zapping times.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• Ok so you have two options here....

1. Install the picon folder in the internal flash memory of the box. If you don't have many plugins etc installed on your box this will work fine. It should be placed in usr/share/enigma2

2. The recommended option would be to mount a usb flash drive to your box and install the picon folder there. it should be placed in media/usb

If you haven't done so already make a backup of your picon folder from the HDD using a FTP program or dcc control centre, do this before you delete it from the HDD. You can copy the folder over to your desktop and then ftp it from there to either the internal flash or usb stick.

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• You need to FTP into your box and check bud,

If they are installed in internal flash you will see the picon folder in usr/share/enigma2

Or if they are on your HDD you will see the picon folder in media/hdd

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• Ok im trying to check but cannot connect to ftp now..getting a box at flashFTP startup saying restore queue list FQF files.
    any idea what i need to do. ive tryed clicking load but it makes no difference, do i need to click delete?

• ok ive deleted the queue and connected again...the picon folder is in the HDD..so do i just delete it from flashftp?
    and install another from plugin on box into internel flash?

• If you can connect by ftp download the picon folder from the hdd to your desktop before you delete it...

Then if you want to install picons from a addons panel to the internal flash then go ahead.

fI7WHhv.png

• hi. just deleted the picon folder and tryed turning over and its still the same..the channel will appear then after a second will go blank for about 3 seconds then come back on.
    i also have crossepg..tsmedia..timeshift..all on Hdd could these be doing it?

• Did you do a full restart after making the changes.... it would be worth your while investing in a usb stick to save all your epg data & picons too. Also setup a swapfile as this will help lessen the load should your ram be close to maxing out.

fI7WHhv.png

• yes i restarted the box, i have a stick here, ive tryed to put epg and picons onto it but the option does not appear, only internal flash or HDD.

• Make sure the stick is formatted to fat32 before you plug it in, when you have done this press the blue button on your remote and select Vix. Press the down arrow and select mount manager, in here you should see your HDD & usb stick and what they are mounted as.... the mount for the usb stick should be media/usb.

If the usb stick is mounted correctly then you will need to add your picon folder to it by ftp, when you have done this restart the box. To change where your epg data is stored go to menu/setup/system/epg/settings you can change the first setting for epg location to media/usb.

The most important part here is to make sure your usb stick is mounted correctly, Vu can be quite fussy about the make etc. Vix image automounts the hdd & usb for you so you just need to double check that it has mounted it to the correct location.

fI7WHhv.png

• i can see the usb stick in system settings..i have clicked mount..then gone into epg settings but it says media/Hd or Internal flash...no usb, but i can see usb in media.
    what do i need to do next??

Edited once, last by Dave20 ().

• Picons are best stored on the flash of the receiver, it is by far the fastest available location but if thats not possible a USB stick is acceptable, but it will have to be inserted permanently.

EPG data is by far best stored on the internal HDD, it wont affect system performance in any way at all, EPG data is held in live memory aka the flash and only written to or read from the HDD at boot up and shutdown. There is no advantage to storing the EPG on a mounted USB stick but it will work happily if you do decide to use this location.

• thanks for the info pheonix..but im having trouble with a blank screen showing for a couple of seconds after i turn over a channel. Thats why im trying usb instead. its rather confusing, my head is shot.

• As i said earlier Picons stored on the HDD can account for that, EPG on the HDD wont affect it any way or the other, it's held in live memory the same as your bouquets / channel lists are.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!