Which Vu+ receiver recommendation help

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,334 times. The last Post () by anniman.

• I live in Spain and receive TV via satellite. Following death of my darling husband I cancelled *** because we only had it for his cricket. I get most of the channels I need still, except ITV 3 HD etc, but hadnt realised I would not be able to use the recording and playback on the *** plus HD box. I have been recommended to get a VU box although not which model. However read on this site that wise to connect to internet. I have no landline telephone and have to rely on wireless internet which is slooow and not very reliable. I'm nervous spending lots of cash on my pension if the box wont work. Otherwise I wold probably go for a Which recommendation which I think is a Humax. Basically I'm after good HD satellite receiving with recording via two satellite inpiuts. I also send the signal around the house via wires.

Thanks in advance, Anne

• Well apart from stating the obvious which is it depends on your pocket, take a look at the sponsor´s page for good offers..
    Also if you read some of the previous threads which will give you a fairly good idea of which are well supported and which are not..
    I am curious , as I also live in Spain ( Basque country) but cannot recieve most of the FTA channels, which region you live and size dish you use??

• If your after a Vu box for the *** system it isnt a case of putting the card into the Vu and off you go. You have to install a lot of software and be able to constantly update the software for channel changes etc. Also *** are currently in the process of trying to stop people using their *** cards in other boxes other than their own so you could be buying a box that is only good for the free channels that are available and you can receive.

If your looking at something that is simple to install and only picks up the free channels then Id suggest the humax for Freesat box because its built for the freesat service and more or less will update itself for channel changes, but you cant use your *** card in this box, you will only receive the free channels that are available such as BBC 1, ITV. Of course you still need to be in the signal area so it would be a case if you cant get BBC 1 already then you should be able to get it with the humax box.

• Thanks both.

I get all the free to air channels with a 2.4M dish. There are channels I'd like but not prepared to pay for *** anymore. Mostly I'd like to be able to view all the recordings on my *** plus box !

• Sorry forgot to mention live on the border between Cost Blanca and Cost Azahar near Denia.

Well consider yourself very lucky to still be able to recieve fta channels !!!
    A possibility for you would be to get a vu+ solo2 which would cover your sat,recording,etc and iptv ( viewing channels over internet,for example filmon)
    The downside of this is a decent broadband is needed, at least 2/3 mbs download (1mb upload if you want to share card with another user)
    The advantage of an engima box is that it is opensource and has a lot of 3rd party image/plugin support...

• Yes lucky although not keen on the massive dish in the garden. I dont think my wireless internet service is ever going to be sufficiently reliable for any kind of streaming. Sorry about punctuation not quite used to a borrowed Spanish kyboard.

• Yes lucky although not keen on the massive dish in the garden. I dont think my wireless internet service is ever going to be sufficiently reliable for any kind of streaming. Sorry about punctuation not quite used to a borrowed Spanish kyboard.

You want me to "get rid" of the dish for you???? LOL
    I´m looking for a 150/180 dish..
    Hopefully I won´t need such a large dish to get all channels back...
    So, you can read back all similar previous threads which coincide with your needs..
    A vu+ solo2 has twin tuners ,can record , 7 day epg, there are 3rd party plugins/ images that can time recordings ..etc
    At first all the setup sounds daunting but you get the hang of it in no time and we are always around to try help out...
    but at the end of the day you need to make the choice..
    PM the sponsor either through here or contact directly on sponsors site with your queries,doubts,etc...
    Don´t worry about the punctuation...
    I´ve used this Spanish keyboard for so long the keys no longer have signs on them !!! LOL

• If you mean Image. Personally i use the latest Vix Team Image. I am new to Linux satellite, and find it more user friendly, it also has auto bouquets which is a big help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!