do i really need a good line of sight to get satellite aligned to hot bird?

There are 14 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,175 times. The last Post () by shakin1234.

• hi all,

i have decided to experiment with a 3rd dish, and attach it half way up my shed. it is a technomate 80cm (i think from memory) which i had spare, so i have got the pole on a T&K bracket, and all is plumb straight. my problem is getting the thing lined up properly, i have a sat link meter which has always come in handy when i have done motor setups, but i do not know where i am going wrong lol

as from the picture attached, i want to know if i am just wasting my time, as i am only about 3-5Metres away from house, so not sure how much line of sight is needed??? - the reason i mention this, as i have seen s l y dishes on a roof and it looks like their line of sight is about 1 metre away from the roof.

i have also tried moving my motor dish to 13 and then trying to point it in the same direction, but just guessing at elevation, because i am lower down, but still nothing…

so hopefully somebody could tell me if it is worth keep trying, and line of sight shouldn't be an issue, or just down tools and get a professional in lol

cheers Shakin

• right, i have made some progress….

i have been able to lock on to 28.2east, as earlier i could get nothing… so 28.2east on dish pointer states elevation at 24.5, so i think i may need to up the elevation a bit when i move the dish around to see if i can get 13east.

does this give any hope of me picking this up, or keep going?

• I'm going to attach the dish to a spare motor tomorrow, i will connect the motor to my duo, which has a motor on it already, make it go to 13east and then will attach it to bracket on shed, to see if i get lucky.

will report back tomorrow

thanks again

• Official Post

You can use this calculator

Code
    http://www.satlex.de/en/elobst_calc.html

You know the angle 29.7, you can measure how far the wall is from the dish. It will give you the maximum height that the wall can be above the dish.

At 3m distance, the dish can be up to 1.71m lower than the top of the wall.
    At 5m distance, the dish can be up to 2.85m lower than the top of the wall.

• I'm going to attach the dish to a spare motor tomorrow, i will connect the motor to my duo, which has a motor on it already, make it go to 13east and then will attach it to bracket on shed, to see if i get lucky.

will report back tomorrow

thanks again

In observation of those already installed counterpart dishes on the side wall, i will tell you that any satellites west of 28.2 will be impossible to retrieve from that location as your house is blocking it mate.

I am actually surprised you have received 28.2 from there but sat dishes can give a weird optical allusion sometimes..assuming 28.2 is the satellite those 2 dishes are looking at...you would be best with a t&k on the back wall as you will get a great LOS(line of sight) from there providing there are no trees protruding... i also see your conservatory there and if thats in the way then the side wall is also an option with a t&k bracket near the rear of the building.

• thanks Meerkat, the 2 dishes you see, the sly dish is at 28.2east and the motor above it is pointing at 13east. annoyingly, i moved to the back of the shed and on its roof, and i could pick 13 up, the problem i have putting it there, is the nosy neighbour would see it :29_002:

i will give a progress report later

• put motor on it, and got nothing, i think i might give up, i might be able to put it on a pole at the back of the shed, but this will be high enough over the fence, so the neighbour will see it. how many dishes are you allowed on the house? i could put another *** dish up at the front to pick it up, but this would then be 3 dishes. Mrs will go nuts when she gets back from holiday lol

• howdy all - i have relocated the dish to the back of the shed and siting almost on the roof apex. i have managed to lock on to 13 with a technomate dish (can't remember exactly the size of it) but i could not lock 13 with sly dish, which is a shame, even though i managed to get 13 with the sly dish when messing about, i could not get it again when attaching it to the pole which is plumb straight, so i reverted back to the technomate and all is good :-)

hopefully the mrs won't notice on her return lol

4784d94baea408f166.jpg

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!