Epg advice

There are 18 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,225 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• I'm after some more advice please..... No surprises there!

I'm a little overwhelmed by the various epg addons that are available.... My Uno has BH 1.65 running which does appear to have a built in epg which occasionally flashes an on screen message informing me that it is updating, it only shows the present and next channel on various sats (canal+ se for example). Is there a reasonably simple epg that I can add that would give me more info?
    Would it be beneficial to add any other epg to the hdd that i've installed rather than using the flash memory which seems to be quite full anyway. What is crossepg... I have tried searching, but haven't found an idiots guide
    One more question: For the last ten years I have only ever scanned the various satellites manually no problem there... Now I keep coming across channel lists..... I only really use 19.2 east, 13 east, 4.8 east 0.8 east and 30 west. would there be any advantages in using any of these channel lists?

I'll ask about swap file memory bit next week... still on a steep learning curve!

RATIUS

• Epg guide and cross epg up and running THANK YOU to master G and his very helpful step by step guide in vu tutorial section. I was surprised to discover that the epg information appeared to be downloaded through the internet connection and not from the satellites... I had visions of my dish motoring round it's arc everyday!
    Crossepg was happy to use the 8gb pen drive plugged into one of the rear usb ports.
    But when I try to set up a swap file I am only offered the option of using the internal hdd drive, any ideas as to how I can persuade the receiver to accept the usb as a path for the swap file, or is it ok to use the internal hdd. I would have thought that it would be preferable to use the usb rather that a mechanical drive. I'm open to any ideas

RATIUS

• First i`ve heard of flashexpander, i will give it a try and let you know if it works on the Vu+Duo.

Just installed flashexpander and see it has moved /usr/ directory to my usb.

It has freed up some ram and coolman tv guide has now been installed to the usb device.

Thanks for the info fogonero.

people to do this, you should be aware that the USB hardware is always part of the box, and the installation of the Sun early in plugins is not touched, because what makes flashexpander is a link to the original installation USB device.

This tool is very good for boxes with little RAM, especially for the 256 MB, we take off weight and speed LOT to our box.

Pardon my language
    I love OSCam build by lareq78

• If you have setup mountpoints in device manager properly it should show the option to use the USB, the path should be /media/usb/.

If mountpoints is ok then maunaully setup a swapfile using telnet. Manually Creating a Swapfile on VU+DUO/SOLO

It won't allow me to add mount points to the usb without adding mount points to the internal hdd. I have to add mount points to both devices at the same time. What is/are mount points, and will adding mountpoints to the internal hdd wipe all of the movies that have been recorded?

RATIUS

• If you have setup mountpoints in device manager properly it should show the option to use the USB, the path should be /media/usb/.

If mountpoints is ok then maunaully setup a swapfile using telnet. Manually Creating a Swapfile on VU+DUO/SOLO

Blackhole won't allow me to add mount points to the usb without adding mount points to the hdd at the same time, i have to do both devices at the same time. What are mount points and will adding mount points to the internal hdd wipe all the data from the internal hdd... I have lots of movies on the internal hdd which I would rather not lose.

RATIUS

• Thank you cazuela,

I hadn't been using the circular arrow keys! I had been trying to save before changing to mount/media/usb ! I'm slowly getting there though...

Thanks to all who give there time to help the newbies

RATIUS

• I have EPG for most channels working... Unfortunately the cross epg doesn't appear to support the Canal Nordic channels on 0.8 west, I can only get now and next. I have read some where that the weekly epg is downloaded over the air on certain channels. Does any one know which channels to tune into so that the receiver can get the info?

RATIUS

• not sure if this is "THE ONE" but worth a try:

I found this info: If you want EPG info an all CD channels you must zap to Discovery Travel & Living or any C+ channel
    and this: Another important issue is make sure you have the correct time stamp( the right time for epg)
    lets know how you get on ;)

• Another important issue is make sure you have the correct time stamp( the right time for epg) Does that mean I should set the time on my receiver to Scandinavian time? I am presently using XEPGDB and XMLTV providers in the Cross epg menu and have various regions ticked including the one that you highlighted ... Would I be better using just one provider list ie, XEPGDB or XMLTV (what's the difference?) I had been getting the weekly epg for the Canal nordic channels, and yesterday they seemed to disappear I spent a good while zapping from channel to channel without success, but the epg has just come back. Frustratingly I'm not entirely sure why!!!!

Thanks again for your prompt advice

RATIUS

• you are in gmt time so leave it there .
    I am in CET time so my epg is 1 hr ahead of the actual programme,but all is intact ;)
    if you ahd it working beforehand then leave it back to where you had it previously. ( unless you want to tinker around like me,lol)
    it might have just been some downtime for the epg ,nothing more ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!