When does a receiver become a clone or vice versa?

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 825 times. The last Post () by Banny.

• I was reading this thread, but this is a seperate question really - Idiots guide required for cloud ibox

May I respectfully ask for others views on this merely as a matter of curiosity, at which point does a receiver become a clone, admitted some are blatant direct replica's/clones, some are less blatant than others.

Couldn't it be argued to more or less an extent, that the VU+'s are a Dream-box Clones?
    ------------

I understand that they offer an inferior version to the originals, and so forth, but where is the line drawn? The intention of this post is merely to see what others think? - If you can't reply in a mature/civil maner then don't bother...

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

Edited once, last by Banny ().

• Hi I shop at ALDI and Iceland and buy similar products in Waitrose and M&S I know an Iceland potatoe is similar in taste to the M & S one but the prices are different Can it be we are all stupid ? Do we perceive one to be better than the other and so pay more Sat recievers are just the same all recievers produce the same outcome TV viewing Its more about the support you receive after purchase and how long your reciever is well supported and able to keep up with new developments

• Quality parts, workmanship/robotic, power efficiency, h/w and s/w capabilties to name a few things to be considered..
    you only have to try the new incorporation of netservices ( iptv, kodi,etc) or skins( HD by rossi,etc) to start to appreciate from where these "sat boxes" started off..
    As my signature states,,,, original= satisfaction guaranteed...
    but , as previously mentioned, if it´s only to be able to watch tv, you can always go back to a clone on your 24" SD TV and play "spot where the ball is" during a match....

• Clones are simply receivers which have been produced to imitate another, so the manufacturer does not have to spend any thing on research and development instead uses the hard work of others to coin it in.

Vu+ are not clones, they spend a lot of time and money on R&D and pay various licences where as clones just whack a sticker on their box claiming to have done the same.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• i remember back in the day when all we had was IBM and the pcs, then the clones came in cyrix and AMD ,yes they wanted them banned as they considered them inferior and of course a clone but it never stopped people bying them , look where AMD are now and where would the pc be now if it had been stifled.

but what i dont like is people making a product looking like a product but worse of all selling it as the product in question that to me is wrong

but what we have as well is a conflict of interest on this site as no clones of vu receivers can be mentioned or even supported and the excuse is because of the sponser,

But it ok to mention clones of dm machines and even have lots of images for clones of the dm range, are these boxes not inferior to the original and even worse some of the dm clones look exactly the same just because the sponser doesnt sell dm machines

so on one hand copies ,cloned inferier machines are ok on this site and no mention of blowing up as long as the sponser doesnt sell the machine

like i said if clones are bad shouldnt all images be taken off this site including dm machines

thats my view anyway

• Personally I agree it does smack of double standards to offer support for one clone but not another, but thats a decision for this forums administration and not me. regardless of that fact however I will never offer support for any user with a clone and will always point out where a manufacturer or seller is wrongly claiming ViX support for their illegal, counterfeit hardware.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• It does appear like double standards but at the end of the day the director of World of Satellite stipulated that no Vu+ clone support was to be given when he agreed to sponsor the forum. that was the agreement that was made and that is the agreement the forum is sticking to.

At the end of the day all he is doing is protecting his business and sales which its i think is a fairly reasonable request.

Nano

• My first PC had a Cyrix 686+ (they were actually the equivalent of the Intel 80586 aka Pentium, due to the fact Intel could not copyright a number)...

I Understand that the workmanship is one issue, but there are that many receivers that are similar to the Big sellers on the market, its increasingly difficult for newer participants in the hobby to distinguish between. But it must be said that some clones are a lot higher quality than others.

I understand that the forum sponsor protecting his own interest/investment,

I don't post as much as I used to but i've noticed that those with a higher level of understanding of the hobby (not just on this site), are increasingly off hand/hostile towards novice's. In my opinion there are two types of people that break the rules, those that didn't read the rules which there is no excuse for. and those that made a genuine mistake.

Thanks to all those that replied so far, and for replying without turning the thread into a flame war :) its interesting to see other peoples perspective on what is seemingly an increasingly sensitive issue.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!