Router dropping internet constantly

There are 22 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,484 times. The last Post () by ddaddy.

• My router has started dropping the internet connection constantly ranging from every minute to 10-20 mins.
    I have to reboot the router to get it back up and running before it drops again.

Wireless still works as I can log into the router to reboot it.

Anyone had this before? It only 2 months old.

• yes m8 its your ip provider mines does it also , think its a cap , i dl at 6000k a sec then it cutts of after a few mins , only for a sec then its reconnects

i have a belking gaming router , deff not the router prob u are having m8 am sure of that

RESPECT OTHER PEER, PUT ALWAYS A FTA CHANNEL WHEN YOU DON'T WATCH TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1438883374.png

• This sounds different mate. Mine cuts out even when i'm not downloading anything.
    When I was wathcing the footie yesterday, it kept going off like every 5 mins and only came back on after a router reboot.

• Could be your isp upgrading the lines near to you which plays havoc with your router the way I got round it was to reset the router a couple of times then it should be ok for a while.

• That sounds very similar to the poblem I was having with my Virgin modem. What was you reseting the modem or the router.

My problem was the modem, I think some one was trying to set up a clone of mine {twat didnt now enough and was on the same gateway as me} when he conected the clone my modem would reboot every 3 to 5 mins. ( it would only happen on a weekend }

Virgin refused to change my modem, so I finally poured a glass of squash over it so they had to change it.

If its not broke --- fix it anyway.

• I've been rebooting the router to get back up and running, but thats not to say that the modem isn't at fault.
    Rebooting the router could maybe get the modem working again.

• Cloning VM is more difficult these days since they blocked the scanning software getting access to neigbouring gateways. (I dont play no more).

Basically the guys who are still in the sceen , scan their gateways then trade the good mac addresses with guys on other gateways. (a bit more complcate than that though)

You might have had some noob scanned your gateway and figure that your 50meg is a buisness and being a weekend nobody was at home or he just dos'nt now any better. (he should soon realise because every time you rebooted his clone would be kicked untill he rebooted)

If it continues contact VM.

• Well when I had the problem Virgins engneer (Well thats what he called himself) could see the modem falling off and coming back when I rebooted but thats about all. {I didn't explain my diagnosis not wanting to possibly flaging myself ;-( }

But once I got the new modem my problems went away.

I'm not sure what state the cloning game is any more, all of the guys I played with moved on when the available bandwidth got bigger. { most of us were running multiple modems through dual / quad lan routers {and they wearnt cheap} and scrapping 10meg in total.

But the info and tools are still out there on the wonder web, so its prob some noob with time on his hands and hopefully he'll move on when he realise.

• Cheers for the info Daic. It was something I hadn't considered as the cause. I had read up about cloning years ago, but never tried it out myself.

• I got this sorted (hopefully)
    I used the Virgin Help Forum for help and eventually they sent an engineer out. The power levels where way too high beccause the power level adjuster thingy plugged in the back of the modem was knackered!
    Anyone on virgin can check their own power levels by entering this ip into internet explorer 192.168.100.1
    Goto the Downstream page and look at the Power Level number. Anything above 4 is bad.

• My level is 5 (always has been) and never had any issues. It's worth knowing that, though, if I get any problems.

Vu+ Solo, VIX 1.2 with CCcam2.2.1 - 1.2 Mtr Fibo gregorian, (53E - 58W). A couple of DM800's and a DM500 on a fixed 60cm dish

• I think mine was 8 before the engineer came out and was cutting out every day or 2.
    I remember in my old house it used to cut out too, but thinking about it now, I'd removed the power reducer from the back lol.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!