Thinking of buying

There are 20 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,501 times. The last Post () by xbmcflix.

• Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a wetek play to replace my vu+ duo. Would use it for mainly watching live from uk 28.2 and streaming from kodi addons such as NBC live, sports devil and genesis. Currently have kodi on my laptop and phone.
    Was just after some opinions from people who had the box if it is usable to view TV everyday. Had read a few reviews that said it was bit buggy and not really suitable for everyday viewing. Really fancy getting one as it seems to fulfill all my viewing needs.

Alex.

• It is a nice box to have personally i would not recommend it for viewing everyday it is buggy and things havent been ironed out so far as channels listings etc its something you will find yourself playing with more than viewing , to the point that even at times you reboot and you channel list you did have right is all mixed up again , this is on openelec , android im not so sure about works fine but tv side is limited also , being honest this is not a main device

• OK thanks for the reply, I'll probably wait till its a bit more stable then or look at something else.

Dont get me wrong they are well worth the money and good fun I just would never consider one as a replacement for a main box ,with some luck the issues will be fixed but Its been 3 weeks now with no stock so even that leaves a big question mark hanging over the future of this box

• first impressions of the box,
    its a box you need lots of patience with,the android side it great if not a bit on the small side with the memory

openelec via sdcard iv loaded about 6 times just to see how things work but to me is too slow to use as a tv tuner,

to be honest i think once the channels have been sorted on wetek theater id stick with the android side,

still learning yet but its a slow process, still a great box though,maybe theres no stock as a wetek2 is coming out?? lol

• Aye maybe they are sorting out the slots on top to put toast in as it gets so hot Mwwwwahahaha

• Yeh think I'll leave it for a while see what happens regards software and stock. Certainly seems like an interesting box, would just need it to be reliable and stable in order to keep Mrs happy. Thanks for the replys.

• I've had mine a few weeks now.

Took me maybe just over a week of fiddling to get it running absolutely sweet, part of this was down to me having to learn how TVHeadend works and even what some of the settings do within OpenELEC, and now it just works, have no trouble out of it what so ever

It probably has got a bit of a way to go until it's as user friendly as the likes of a Vu but for me I have absolutely no regrets in switching over to it, I also switched over from a Vu Duo

• Yeh I'm basically looking for something that will run kodi/xbmc alongside satellite. Will the solo 2 run kodi/xbmc? I remember reading that it was coming to the newer boxes but can't find any videos of it running.

• yes xbmc/gotham (not kodi) is available on the solose, solo2 and duo2, included in most common images no doubt.

Mutant HD2400, Hades, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c
    Xtrend ET8500, Hades, 1xdvb-s2, 1xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE, Hades, 1xdvb-s2 (out of action atm)
    Vu+ Zero, Hades, 1xdvb-s2
    Fixed 28.2e + 1mtr Orbital, Dark Motor, Inverto LNB

• Upload a back up for all of us that are struggling with it Jim :thumb:

• Yeh I'm basically looking for something that will run kodi/xbmc alongside satellite. Will the solo 2 run kodi/xbmc? I remember reading that it was coming to the newer boxes but can't find any videos of it running.

the solo 2 is a terrific box with lots of support. As stated it does run xbmc but to be honest, for me I would suggest a separate box for xbmc to get the best experience. I have a raspberry Pi 2 quad core running openelec, which can be setup for under £50. Its a very small unit and runs beautifully. I have mine fastened to the back of the telly out of sight. Of course it all depends on your budget

regards

• The backup that Stevejo did for 28.2 works pretty well for me. I have a solo2 as my main box but I have used openelec a good bit. The fact that backups work so well is a very underrated feature of the WeTek. Agree that Jum's backup would be nice if he can manage it as I am now fairly confident that I can set it up now. Hopefully Openelec will stabilise channel changing back to normal speed soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked and they are doing a serious makeover upgrade on the WeTek site. The tutorials page, http://www.wetekforums.com/index.php, looks good.

• I got nice idea to use second one as tvheadend client to the first one where I have twin tuner connected so I linked inputs, and now wife is free to watch and me too :D

Raspberry Pi would have been a cheaper option to use as a client ;)
    But can't blame you for wanting to buy more than one of these brilliant pieces of kit :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!