Streaming outside my network to family?

There are 17 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,272 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• Hi

I have a Duo 2 all setup in my office and I am absolutely delighted with it. I have not tried the streaming option yet, mainly because I didn't need it but now things have changed.

My son has gone off to Uni and he has autism. One of his ways to relax is to be alone in his room and watch TV. The campus halls do not have a TV aerial, satellite etc so streaming is the only option. I tried an aerial but the reception is poor and he cannot get digital channels. Can I setup remote access to my Duo 2 so he can watch what he wants? It will mainly be evenings and weekends so I will not need to use the Duo 2 during those times.

If it's possible how should I go about it?

Many thanks

CC

• Sorry I do not have time for detailed tutorial now, but here are basic steps:

1. Setup dynamic host name ( possibly unecessary if your internet ip address does not change often)
    2. Enable http authentication in menu->plugins->openwebif
    3. Set "Require authentication for http streams" in menu -> setup -> system-> customize
    4. Open your firewall router to allow access to your box. (and probably change default ports for security)
    default ports needed are 80,8001,8002,8003 (depending if transcoding is setup.)

Hopefully this is enough to get started (at least hints on what to search for here since there probably are already better posts describing the steps...)

Also, it is possible to stream and watch locally at the same time if you have multiple inputs to your box.

• Thank you so much for taking time to reply I really do appreciate it.

I have a No-IP account which was never used - long story. I can use that for the IP address just in case it does change. What does my son need at his end? I setup a Roku 3 for him so he can watch my Plex server and that works well. I am not sure if there is an app for Roku that would connect to the Duo2? I will get onto Mr Google now and ask him :thumb:

Great people on this site, thank you again :14_002:

• I am not that familiar with the Roku, but it should be able to use a playlist file (.m3u) with links to all the channels. To build the playlist, the easiest thing to do would be to create a favorites list (bouquet) with all the channels (or a few separate ones) and then in openwebif under Television->Bouquets if you select the little TV icon, you can download the whole bouquet as a playlist. Then in an editor, you can replace all the ip addresses in the playlist with the no-ip address and it should be usable from outside.

The downside is it would not have an epg (although the Roku may pickup now/next from the stream)

Others may have a better solution...

• Not sure what would do more than what you have - a basic PC/laptop would work. I guess it also depends on how simple the solution needs to be.

What you really need to find out first is, how is the network connection between your office and his room? If the connection is not that great, no hardware is going to work well. And it is not just about speed, it also depends on quality - high speed but with lots of temporary interruptions will make watching quite annoying. I guess first thing I would do (after setting up the box in your office) is to take a laptop (or decent tablet) to his room and see if streaming without transcoding works and if not, what is the best transcoding settings that can be used.

If it works well without transcoding, one option is to use another sat box and there is a function to share a remote box's tuner. But it was really designed for use within a local network, and I am not sure how well it would work across the internet...

• Not sure what would do more than what you have - a basic PC/laptop would work. I guess it also depends on how simple the solution needs to be.

What you really need to find out first is, how is the network connection between your office and his room? If the connection is not that great, no hardware is going to work well. And it is not just about speed, it also depends on quality - high speed but with lots of temporary interruptions will make watching quite annoying. I guess first thing I would do (after setting up the box in your office) is to take a laptop (or decent tablet) to his room and see if streaming without transcoding works and if not, what is the best transcoding settings that can be used.

If it works well without transcoding, one option is to use another sat box and there is a function to share a remote box's tuner. But it was really designed for use within a local network, and I am not sure how well it would work across the internet...

Thanks again. He's pretty okay with technical stuff but with 150 miles between him and me I know he will panic slightly when we're trying to set it up. His internet is lightning fast, actually faster than the 160 mbps I have in my office! It has only failed once with a 20 second outage so that should be okay; fingers crossed!

I was first thinking of (this is probably a swear word on here!) a Slingbox because it's easy to use and does what it says on the tin. I managed to set one up years ago when I was travelling on business and it worked okay. At the moment it costs me £31 per month for him to get Sly Sports from Now TV so at £129 for a Slingbox M1 I'll be ahead of the game, forgive the pun, after 4 months.

CC

• I've never used a Slingbox, so I cannot really comment, but from what I have heard, they do have a usefulness in some situations.

I would first just use your existing equipment and see how it works. You can test the remote connection to your office from home (or anywhere outside the office) with a PC/laptop, tablet, or even phone. If you have an Android device there is a VU+ app which is quite good. If needing an EPG is an issue, there may be some app for the Roku.

• Well once again I want to thank everyone for their input. :thumb:

I was thinking about this last night and think I have worked it out. Davvo confirmed my thoughts.

I will ensure my no-ip is setup correctly, that should be easy enough. I will then open a port to forward to my Duo2 for the streaming and I assume another for the transcoding? I will try with and without transcoding to see how it varies.

I then give my son http://no-ip.ccvuduo.org:Port number* and he should be able to use it his end. I will check on creating an m3u list.

*not my dyndns just an example and I will change the default port for security

Does that seem about right?

Cheers

CC

• Hi to all

Well I am obviously doing something wrong because I cannot get VLC to connect to the STB. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, I would use http://mydynsname.org:myport

I would forward the relevant port in my router (which I have done) then when I use that URL:Port I would be able to connect by "Open Network Stream" in VLC

I have clearly done something wrong.

My VU+Duo2 has a fixed IP, my No-Ip account is up and running correctly but it doesn't want to play ball :59:

Should I forward the HTTP HTTPS and transcode ports to the Duo2? I have forwarded all of them which could be an error?

Please can someone help out an idiot like me?

Thanks

CC

• Thanks guys! I have sorted it now and it works like a charm. I'm away on business today so I tested it via the hotel wifi and my iPhone. A brief audio stutter but it soon settled.

My son will be over the moon, you've all made his life a little bit better and we are both truly thankful!

CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Good to hear. Don''t forget to setup authentication for openwebif and streams. You can also create another use for authentication if you do not want to use root:

Telnet to the box and run "adduser" and the username you want, then enter the password when prompted.

Code
    ~# adduser test
    Changing password for test
    New password:
    Bad password: too short
    Retype password:
    Password for test changed by root

Note: even if it complains about the "bad password" it still accepts it.

• Hi again

I have connected via Telnet to the box and added my son as a user and given him a secure password.....well there was no complaint saying "bad password".

How do I now give my son secure access to the Duo2. It does connect from outside from my Network but I am not sure how to ensure it requests his username and password when he starts a new session

CC

• Hi all

Well once again I will say thank you to all involved. I setup the box as described and it now works exactly as described on the tin...so to speak :20_003:

I know I was a bit slow at getting it all completed but I have so much going on at the moment it is untrue! Anyway I have learned a lot and saved myself some money so life is good!

:14_002:

CC

VU+ DUO 2 PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!