New 2nd box for the family

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 670 times. The last Post () by mckee25.

• Hi all

I hope this is in the correct place, I apologise if not, I am sure a MOD will relocate it.

I have a VU+ Duo 2 and am over the moon with it. I now need a second box for the family but I am concerned if a Linux based box is the way to go. I will list what I need

It should have dual input and the ability to record, preferably internal HDD. I know that these days HDMI comes as standard on most boxes. I am happy to get a Solo 2 but I am concerned my wife (especially) and my daughter will not be able to operate it and so simply give up. They are used to "other" providers!! It's a hobby for me and I am happy to learn new things but my wife just wants to switch on the TV and watch or record the channels she likes.

I have used a Technomate 5402-HD M2 and it was okay, I still have a 5402 HD M3 but it's single input so not suitable.

Bouquets could be created easy enough so they get BBC1 HD, local, ITV C4 C5 etc and I will hope they don't change the channel listing too often.

Should I go Solo 2 or look at a non-Linux box?

Thanks

CC

PS Could I share a Cline from my Duo 2 or is that not allowed?

• The solo2 is a very good choice but there are also many very good linux boxes that fit the things you want but cheaper it all depends on how much you wish to spend but as you see i use xtrend and there are very good offers on the xtrend range now but also you mentioned Technomate and there are some models that fit what you require i suppose your problem is narrowing it down to one box

Helping others is always a better feeling than helping yourself

• The image will be your most important choice here buddy if you want it to be family user friendly..... what image are you currently using??? Openvix in my own opinion is without a doubt the most user friendly there is....

Regards sharing a cline from your duo2 to this second box, well that depends on whether this is a line created from your own server or do you want to reshare a line that you have from a peer? in this case you would need to ask your peer if this is ok or ask them if they are willing to give you a second line......

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• The solo2 is a very good choice but there are also many very good linux boxes that fit the things you want but cheaper it all depends on how much you wish to spend but as you see i use xtrend and there are very good offers on the xtrend range now but also you mentioned Technomate and there are some models that fit what you require i suppose your problem is narrowing it down to one box

I like the look of Xtrend so it is good to hear from a user who likes them. I like the look of the ET8000 as I could easily add a 3rd LNB connection. My daughter records so much TV it may just suit.

Thanks

CC

- - - Updated - - -

The image will be your most important choice here buddy if you want it to be family user friendly..... what image are you currently using??? Openvix in my own opinion is without a doubt the most user friendly there is....

Regards sharing a cline from your duo2 to this second box, well that depends on whether this is a line created from your own server or do you want to reshare a line that you have from a peer? in this case you would need to ask your peer if this is ok or ask them if they are willing to give you a second line......

I am now using OpenViX and I like it; my favourite image having tried quite a few. I pay for the C-line so I will just pay for a second to save the aggravation.

Thanks

CC

• whats the lx2 like mate
    have u usb stick or hdd attached to it

The solo2 is a very good choice but there are also many very good linux boxes that fit the things you want but cheaper it all depends on how much you wish to spend but as you see i use xtrend and there are very good offers on the xtrend range now but also you mentioned Technomate and there are some models that fit what you require i suppose your problem is narrowing it down to one box

• I am now using OpenViX and I like it; my favourite image having tried quite a few. I pay for the C-line so I will just pay for a second to save the aggravation.

Thanks

CC

Sorry bud but you have been a member here long enough to have read the rules by this stage..... we don't offer support to members who use payservers. Please if you have never done so read the rules of the forum for your own sake.

This thread is now closed.

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!