Why wouldn't I buy a Zgemma S2?

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 649 times. The last Post () by jenseneverest.

• Hi folks,

I bought myself a basic V8S a few months back and now that I'm familiar with it I'm ready to step up.

The things I want that I don't get from the V8S are:

A web interface to remotely control it - change channel, look at epg, etc
    A decent EPG - the WAF on the V8S is poor. I had to write my own interface to control it using an iTach IR to IP gateway.
    Two tuners
    finally, and most importantly, I want to be able to surface the channels through the various Kodi clients I have throughout the house using, I assume, TVHeadend or the VU+ plugin

Based on my research so far, a Zgemma 2S seems to be the most budget friendly model to give me what I want, but there seem to be more expensive models out there and I'm struggling to see what they offer over and above it?

Can anyone confirm that the 2S will give me what I need (after the necessary tinkering, which I'm more than happy to do) and what reasons I might consider something else?

Thanks in advance.
    Lee.

- - - Updated - - -

Having done some more research I appear to be in a position to at least answer some of my own questions.

The Zgemma boxes are cheap Chinese clones of the Enigma 2 boxes and, as such, are unsupported, poor(er) quality and slow. Some people don't like them for those reasons, others don't like them because they're taking away value from the more expensive, but higher quality, original boxes. The makers of the prestige supported boxes are generally the ones who sponsor sites like this one and people want to support them by buying British and supporting the people who actually make them, not people who just copy them and flog for cheap.

The Zgemma boxes are cheap Chinese clones of the Enigma 2 boxes and, as such, are unsupported, poor(er) quality and slow. Some people don't like them for those reasons, others don't like them because they're taking away value from the more expensive, but higher quality, original boxes. The makers of the prestige supported boxes are generally the ones who sponsor sites like this one and people want to support them by buying British and supporting the people who actually make them, not people who just copy them and flog for cheap.

You only had to read the rules to find that out bud!!!!
    Apart from that , I don´t get the

buying British

part ..
    ¿ Is there anything British made these days??
    Not knowing more about the zgemma and the like,
    I would suggest you check out previous threads asking the same/similar and also check out popular image backups..
    it might help a little..

• Official Post

Just to clear a few things up, the Zgemma range are not clones, they have there own hardware, drivers and official support from several build teams.
    This has been asked and answered several times before as Caz said above....
    Apart from Technomate who actually have a real base in London i cant think of any British made boxes.... (everything is still made in china or korea...)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!