Alsat Supreme Dark Motor. Big problems.

There are 18 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,949 times. The last Post () by achiman.

• I noticed that the led's are not working on the top of the motor, ho hum it still turned so no real probs.
    The dish never turned further than 57 degrees, but it seemed to move well in more or less up-write position.

Recently the dish has been reluctant to move to other satellites, ie not moving at all.

When the dish is at an angle away from up right and I press the left right buttons on the motor it needs a gentle push to help the motor move.

Has anyone else had problems with this motor?

• 110cm Triax.

I can tell that your going to tell me it's too heavy? After everything I went through to get this thing as well.

I do have a 110cm crappy mesh dish, I think it would be lighter but I really don't want to use it.
    The thing that annoys me is the auction stated 4 times that this motor is ok for a 140cm dish but in the manual it states 100max.

I'm wondering if I would crack this thing open, I could fit some capacitors to make sure the motor gets 18 volts (or what ever is the motors max volts) when it turns.

• hi bud had the same problem as you what i found was that the cable i was using from my box to motor was the problem so i used the cable from when i had virmin fitted and surprise the motor worked fine what i found cheaper cables did not carry the voltage from box to motor

• I have one of those sitting in the shed as it performed exactly as you describe.
    If you find it still acting up after a cable change,,
    for the sake of a few bob get yourself a Technomate TM-2600 M2 Super DiSEqC 1.2 & 1.3 Motor..
    It has survived many coastal wintery storms holding a 120cms dish using same cable aas before and not a whinge out of it...

• I have today changed the Sky cable (previous installation) for a roll in a Ross kit, and it worked a little better.
    I changed that for some old Virgin media cable, presto instant improvement but still crap.

I swapped the Openbox V8S for a cheep and nasty Ross receiver and that improved things a little more.
    Swapped that for a way old Goodmans GSAT100EX that I got for 99p at a charity shop and that gave almost perfect dish movement. At 80 degrees East it needed a very slight push to get it going west again .

Led's still don't work though.

So there it is, Openbox V8S doesn't kick out enough amps to do the job, and Alsat Dark motor needs high amps.

8d702e5.jpg

Here's a pic of the inside of the dark motor. I'm sure that if those 3 capacitors on the end of the electric motor were changed for larger ones it would improve things a lot. Either that or lower the gearing.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

• Yes I also had problems with my Dark motor on a 1.1m dish, stopped working couple of months ago, have bought a Technomate 2600, will get that installed soon.

• Yes I have bought that one as well, totally useless.
    It sits at the top of the pole unused.
    Tune it in to one satellite, reception good, then turn the dish to another satellite and it stops short or just passes it.
    The dark motor was better at finding satellites when / if it moved.

I have given up.

• I too have a problem with a Alsat Dark motor. I'd not used it for about a month and when I tried yesterday it was completely dead. No light on LED no movement at all. I tried it on a short coax directly to the STB, still nothing. I'll try it on another box today but does anyone know if there is an internal "fuse" that could have blown?

• Yes I have bought that one as well, totally useless.
    It sits at the top of the pole unused.
    Tune it in to one satellite, reception good, then turn the dish to another satellite and it stops short or just passes it.
    The dark motor was better at finding satellites when / if it moved.

I have given up.

All sorted now, it helps when we let the receiver know our Latitude and Longitude. :) Of course I blame the manual. Lol.

• memories are just like ours,,start to fade with age!!!
    Sometimes we can´t see the wood for the trees is another one..
    I have stripped/swapped capacitors/ rewound transformers,and too many etceteras in the past.
    Very happy with the tm2600 on a 120 dish for 3 years,I think, now !!

• The tm2600 turns and tunes in, so success.
    And to think I was just about to put that damn Dark motor back on, :)

One thing I did notice about the dark motor, when I re fitted the top to the body the bearings pinched badly.
    If I were to use the dark monster again (which I'm not) I'd re seat the top bearing race so it sits about 2mm higher up.

My thanks to all that helped, it's been an education.

• Lads sorry to bring up old thread but I have a dead dark motor metal gear....the C21 capacitor on the motor is in mush and i cant read the ratings on it ..If anyone has one lying about might be able to get the info off it for me ..Thanks

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!