new server

There are 20 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,209 times. The last Post () by clanser.

• Hi all

I would like your input !! I am thinking over starting a pc or laptop server is it better than running through my duo!! And which reader should I get cheers guys

Woz

• You could pick up a second hand PC cheap or build your own with something like an Atom chip for not a lot!

What card(s) do you have? Some readers work better with certain cards!

• remember that if you have a dedicated server, you lose a hop for your own receiver, so you will only will be able to unlock what your peers can. Also a consideration is power - what happens if there is a powercut when you are away? A PC with a bios that allows you to tell it to reboot after a power cut, or a Laptop with a battery that will last your longest powercut would be a good idea. These two obstacles are what caused me to go back to the receiver because my spare PCs are old and I missed that hop!

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• My cards are jsc viaccess 4 and redlight hd with sct full viaccess 4 !!

I do have a pc tower in bits some where lol but don't have a monitor. If I build it its finding somewhere to keep it becouse its on 24/7 with a lappy I can just put it down side of tv. But are they any good for server. Cheers

• hi mate ive got a decent tower for £80 delivered for you mate if ya interested has done me proud over the year and its a good spec mate
    only getting rid as ive bought a dell power edge server

THANKYOU TO COMING TO THIS FANTASTIC SITE AND POSTING YOUR COMMENTS AND KNOWLEDGE FOR US ALL TO USE LONG LIVE THIS SITE

• Cheers toon gona see bit moor into it like benfits from haveing one and downside like muso said above so not going to rush. Cheers guys

Obvious benefits are it frees up your box so you don't have to worry about reflashing or updating anything and it being offline!

Also..depending on your box, the lighter load will certainly do it no harm in the long term...

I'm however with Muso on the lost hop issue...if they could find a way around that I'd have a server built tomorrow but until I see my hop 2's disappear from use I'll have to stick with an all in one solution!

• Argolis Smargo Smartreader Triple Reader is the one you mean - I ordered one myself and should arrive tomorrow or wednesday - just did a network install of Debian on my old crappy lappy and got the CCcam 2.1.3/Oscam auto install done as well, server is up and running - not working anything just yet - just need to wait 'till the reader arrives so I can really have some fun!

• Argolis Smargo Smartreader Triple Reader is the one you mean - I ordered one myself and should arrive tomorrow or wednesday - just did a network install of Debian on my old crappy lappy and got the CCcam 2.1.3/Oscam auto install done as well, server is up and running - not working anything just yet - just need to wait 'till the reader arrives so I can really have some fun!

Fancy doing a 'how to' with notes and pics? :haha:

• Fancy doing a 'how to' with notes and pics? :haha:

Might be a plan once everything is how I want it - Suspecting getting it working with the smartreader is going to be the hardest part as I haven't used one before!

• if you have a dedicated server, you lose a hop for your own receiver, so you will only will be able to unlock what your peers can

I'm however with Muso on the lost hop issue...if they could find a way around that I'd have a server built tomorrow but until I see my hop 2's disappear from use I'll have to stick with an all in one solution!

Could someone explain what is meant here, I cannot see why some hops would disappear,

br

• Could someone explain what is meant here, I cannot see why some hops would disappear,

br

Usually you put the shares in your STB so you get hop 1 from the peer and hop 2 from their peers....if you put the shares in your server, you get hop 2 from the server and hop 3 (the peers peers) is now lost as most people only give out 2 hops!

A workaround is to put your local cards in the server and your shares in your STB!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!