ssd in a server

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 507 times. The last Post () by deerhunter290378.

• i know that they will make the server boot faster but dose cccam access the drive enough to need a ssd. when i say need please bear in mind that i would never go back to a spinning disk on a pc
    ive just upgraded my server and see that the sata has 3gbs so thought i would make use of it :)
    so the question is dose anyone use them are they worth it

• triscross,

you'd be wasting your time tbh....the box would never take advantage of the SSD and eco drives would run just as quiet in this environment!

keep your picons, epg etc on a USB pen drive and just use the internal HDD for recording

Remember you can also record to your server and use it as your timeshift and record/playback system!

• I was using CCcam - in fact a whole ubuntu OS on a 4gb micro SD card plugged in to a USB converter. - It did the job but it did get quite hot so not sure how long it would have lasted, but it was running like this for about 5-6 weeks with no issues. Not sure how much of it will be stored in ram during use, but my Lappy HD that is running my server is spinning all the time so I would imagine that it does access it alot. I wouldn't see an issue with using an SSD and would think it would be a safer option than what I was using!

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• either me or Sandman is at crossed wires here - I thought you meant on your PC server, and Sandman seems to think you mean on a receiver...:misdoubt:

• either me or Sandman is at crossed wires here - I thought you meant on your PC server, and Sandman seems to think you mean on a receiver...:misdoubt:

lol...I should go to bed ;)

Yea...i was thinking he was talking about 2 different boxes!

You'll still not notice any improvement other than boot time....the read / write cycles just aren't intense enough to take advantage of an bonus an SSD provides!

...but if you've the money and your server is small then why not...can't take it with you :)

• while you had it running did you notice any improvement

To be honest I didn't notice - The OS GUI was very slow on the machine, but running as a server I don't really see any difference - I suppose it depends on how closely you are analysing it, but if you have to look hard to notice a difference, then I don't think your peers will bother doing the same!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!