H7S MultiBoot "How To" - Discussion thread

There are 72 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 19,928 times. The last Post () by urie.

• I have no idea what you are talking about, m8...

H7 is booting from its internal flash, not from USB device or SATA HDD. No need for special multiboot plugins!

Once you install an image from a USB stick I suggest you keep it in but initialise (=format) it. You put picons, EPG etc. on it.

SATA HDD/SSD should only handle recording, timeshift and .kodi folder made by default by Kodi plugin.

No such USB or SATA connected device has ever interfered with my H7 booting process - ever!

Read more in PurE2 section in how to structure PurE2 image, written by me...

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• What I am talking about is exactly what is happening. As I explained it is fine if I reboot pure2 but if I am using the openATV image and reboot it will not if a flash drive is inserted. There was a post I found in other place where someone mentioned a similar issue and I assumed this was the case for me too. :-)

https://www.world-of-satellite…hread.php?42270-Multiboot post #8 onwards (I know its for a different box but matches my issue exactly)

I was only using the USB flash drive to watch a few movies (fat32) and don't us it for picons or anything else. I just forgot to unplug it when I was done. I have EPG and picons happily on my internal drive in the H7s. Its not a biggie at all. I just need to remember to remove the drive when I'm done suing it to watch the files on it. I can't help it if its happening - it just is. Other than that the box is running just fine on both pure2 and OpenATV.

• I never had that issue, I have to say - but I removed OpenATV fairly quickly from my H7 and now I have 3 different PurE2 versions in it...:laugh1:

I never put picons and EPG onto internal HDD (because it has moving parts, it would have to run always, which is not good for it and it is needless...). Instead, I use USB stick for that and EPG etc.

Plus, if I have an image for flashing the box on it, after flashing I initialise it = format it, then send picons, EPG to it, on it I also make cache and buffer folders for various plugins like YIFY-FNC, E2iStream etc. and perhaps DL the subtitles to it... Maybe try that?

Good luck!

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Hi guys,

Thanks for the help previously.

Here's where I am!

Stuck on loading....arhhhhh

Zgemma shutdown after IPTV update and now Stuck on .49

I have a USB stick with open ATV on and have tried loads of times (and.different usb sticks) to reboot holding the button behind the front door.

It just boots up into the old image and gets stuck at .49

Heeeelllllllppppp

• Look above, m8!

Unplug everything from your machine, HDD/SSD included. Back it up, if needed.

Download 2 or 4 partitions PurE2 image and flash it from a USB stick, the usual way...

Once you flash the first partition switch it off and plug the HDD/SSD back into your machine.

Once it boots again, Device Manager > initialise the device (it will erase it all and reformat it), then mount it as /media/hdd.

Read exactly how to structure the image from my tutorials in PurE2 section.

Good luck!

• so after you have upto 4 images in multiboot

and 1 of them dont start when picked

you have to start again ( you loose everything installed in the other multibooted images )

there is no way back ( or is there it has happened to me)

id like to know if you can recover lost data

parabéns cr7 & moliveira88

Μπρέντφορντ Φ.Σ

RIP Vangelis Papathanassiou

• Official Post

Lost data ?

If an image is working correctly, and you back it up (whole complete image to a hdd or usb) then you can simply reflash the box with your backup to whichever slot you like.

I have once corrupted the multiboot partitions and had to recover the box....BUT this is only because i was doing things i am not meant too..... other than that i have never had an issue.

• and 1 of them dont start when picked

(whole complete image to a hdd or usb)

thought this thread was about 4 internal flash multiboot

Μπρέντφορντ Φ.Σ

• Official Post

That is my point, flash the slot that is not working ?

• To HDD/SSD/USB - whatever for?!?

• @jenseneverest

i have flashed 4 images in internal multiboot

ie

pure 2 in flash

openATV 6.1

openATV 6.3

openATV 6.4

i know now

that if i pick openATV 6.1 it has happened 3 times

it wouldn't start

internal flash is for you not to use USB or HDD

if you want to use them then install in them thats the object of the the INTERNAL FLASH

Μπρέντφορντ Φ.Σ

• This is sheer madness, I must say...

Insisting on an obsolete image - whatever for? Install something better there...

• Official Post

Antepenultim8

Perhaps i am getting confused, i have been awake 18 hours now:Good_Evening:

The point i was trying to make is, what ever image you like, can be backed up and used in any of the internal flash slots of your choice.

Therefore if slot 3 was no good, use a backup to rectify it.

• Perhaps it would be good to make the main posts a sticky, for users who are newbies, m8s?

And the rest can be moved to a thread for discussing the issues around it, perhaps?

Thanx! :)

• jenseneverest

Changed the title of the thread from “H7S MultiBoot "How To" - installing multiple images in H7S's internal flash!” to “H7S MultiBoot "How To" - Discussion thread”.
    • Official Post

Perhaps it would be good to make the main posts a sticky, for users who are newbies, m8s?

And the rest can be moved to a thread for discussing the issues around it, perhaps?

Thanx! :)

Done :thumbup:

• Cool! Ta, m8! :) This should make things easier for some... ;)

• Hi,

Having been a longtime user of openvix im now the proud owner of two h7s and i am opening my horizons with multiboot.

Its a very useful feature that allows my constant tweaking to not get me into too much trouble if i break things :-)

I have successfully installed the latest and greatest of both openvix & pure2 on Slot1 & Slot2, i may as well keep going but beforehand i have a question regarding

the different types of images that seem to be available for flashing and i havent seen any explanation anywhere

PurE2 - usb & mmc

OpenVix - usb

OpenATV - usb

OpenPLI - usb & multiboot

Egami - usb

Can someone please explain the use of the different filetypes as i used a standard openvix usb image and was still able to flash pure2 into slot2.

When should i use one over the other and what damage can i do if i dont ?

Loving the PurE2 image, great work by the way,

Rgs

• It's explained in H7 section, with 2 or 4 partitions images we make...

H7 only has USB stick and "on the fly" (either from the net or from a medium, like HDD/SSD/USB device) flashing.

USB is what you need to flash it from scratch, partitioning the flash, either as 2 or 4 partitions flash.

Once you have that you can either flash it from a USB stick or similar device (local) or directly from the net (online). I have 2 partitions PurE2 image. V. 6.3 in partition 1 and 6.5 in the other. Happy with that.

Read more in our many posts here and in Zgemma H7 sections...

• Thanks for the response, It explains some of my consfusion, apologies if im over complicaitng this but i think its important to fullly understand where flashing is concerned. i understand PurE2 makes available 2 usb images for the H7 - one which provides 2partitions the other 4partitions, very helpful.

So if i wanted 4paritions id flash that latter image to the H7 but what about the choice of image for slot 2,3,4 from other sources

Do these need to be mutiboot aware ? or are they all by default since H7 images ?

Why does openpli have usb & multiboot ?

OpenVix for H7S usb -

OpenATV for H7S - usb

OpenPLI for H7S- usb & multiboot

Egami -for H7S - usb

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!