Looking for all in one device

There are 31 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 6,221 times. The last Post () by techsat.

• Hi,

I'm quite new to this world so please excuse me if I will ask something stupid

I believe I'm looking for a linux based device because my requested features are

Possibility to use IPTV

Possibility to use CS

Torrent download

Enough space(hard disk / MMC / usb ) to store 4K movies

Budget is not a big problem, so could you please suggest a device with all requested features?

Thanks

• Official Post

All of what you require can be done with enigma2 / linux

We are now spoilt for choice with boxes, have a look at the sponsor store

https://www.world-of-satellite…satellite-and-terrestrial

Take some time to do some reading on the forum, consider what satellites you want to receive, number of tuner's etc etc

• What Jens said. But beware. I tried that route. Vendors give vague performance capabilities (none mentioned to keep the peace).
    I was ready not long ago to spend as much as needed on a receiver that 'did it all'. I finally got in contact with a vendor who is also a hobbyist. He was honest and to the point. He knows 'his beans'. Made no false promises. And made the disappointing expectations of the first receiver I bought (from a false promise vendor with a blingy web page) a real joy within a very short while on my second receiver from him.
    Adding storage to record/play media works ok on the better satellite receivers.
    VPN and dl's of the type you mention go hand in hand. Else you get a nastygram from your isp...or possibly worse.
    I understand iptv is taking a big hit now and most probably in the future.
    Things such as kodi running on a sat receiver are really better left for a device that does it well. It's called kodilight for a good reason.
    Full blown kodi (from my exp.) makes a sat receiver run slow...real slow....and puke all over the place.

I was in your shoes. I settled for a nice receiver with great blindscan. Multiple hdmi ports on my tv and one-button remote presses let each device do what it does the best.

Good luck in your choices.

• You've got the point.

I really do not have time to go through hundreds of post on the internet, I would just need someone like you who says "I've this device it works well, do not hesitate to buy it"

So, could you tell me which is the second device?

Or could you share the contact of the good vendor?
    Thanks

• *I really do not have time to go through hundreds of post on the internet, I would just need someone like you who says "I've this device it works well, do not hesitate to buy it"*

But we do and have. Lots and lots of time. Hell. I packed months and months of time and effort getting to where I am now.
    A fancy cardboard box with Kodi printed on 4 sides would have you believe...well you know. Not so true.
    And here. Well, you're going to get maybe not hundreds of replies. But you'll get a bunch.
    I answered you privately. Gave you my findings. By the time you get comfortable with whatever receiver you choose, you'll be out of time to return it.
    Long before you or anyone else discovers its shortcomings.
    Did I mention the Zgemma H7 and its promised blindscan capabilities "sometime in the future"?
    "4:2:2....sometime in the near future"?

Even. EVEN if you assemble the best combination of tuners, etc. on....lets say a VU+. You probably will find out sometime in the future that its just a satellite receiver. A nice, not cheap, flashy display,....satellite receiver.

But then again. To do what you want. You could go the monster PC, TBS sat card, Nvidia graphics card with blazing CUDA route.
    Then you could actually use a bluetooth kb and mouse.
    That would pretty much solve all of your wants and needs.

Edited:

I didn't add the fact that (afaik) E2 is a bit lacking in a GUI and keyboard/mouse capability.
    Something most streaming and smart tv's allow. ie: Amazon, Sony Android TV's...etc.
    On screen keyboards are just time consuming, klunky, and invite remote control wear.
    I'll still hold fast to a Windows PC environment if you want a one-box solution though.
    At first the expense may exceed what a decent E2 receiver and streaming box would cost.
    Currently the only thing lacking on my HTPC/Server is a TBS tuner.

• Official Post

The biggest issue is an "all in one device" dose not exist

One example of such is the requirement of 4k / torrents. While my VU duo4k dose not play some 4k file formats my zgemma dose happily.

While SOME iptv works well on e2 others do not, android however has no such issue, it is just useless at everything else unfortunately.

That will bring you to some dual boot devices, from past experience such boxes do neither e2 or android particularly well.

Some, who have been in the hobby a while, will remember the love/hate relationship some of us had with spark/e2 on the alien:spit:

This is before you factor in what tuners are required, wifi, size of box, price, blind scan, multistream,spdif,internal sata, usb3/2,number of ports,hdmi input...

• If you want everything to work, you need to have two boxes: VuUltimo4k dual tuner with unicable Lnb, eg. Inverto with 32 outs, mainly for TV, and rpi4 with libreelec for videos and network applications. Of course it is also important to have everything set up well.

• I'll just give my .02 cents here.

In my opinion, there is no "one box solution". I use E2 boxes and HTPCs (Linux) for different tasks, and I have yet to find "one box" that is convenient to configure/upgrade, is user friendly, and does everything well.

E2 box advantages: ease of channel list updates, multiple satellites/diseqc, remote, HDMI CEC, EPG, "Mrs friendly" << most important!

HTPC advantages: tons more horsepower, almost any software/app usable, endless IPTV "possibilities", can easily install any PVR/media center, a "real" web browser.

In my experience, Kodi or other streaming services on E2 boxes is painfully slow, but there is no better way to handle/use traditional telly.

With an HTPC, the possibilities are endless, but the PVR(Live TV) systems I've used just aren't there yet. Even with an air mouse, it's just not as user-friendly. I tried MythTV on my HTPC yesterday, (what a PITA to configure). It seemed to be pretty stable and feature rich, but the lack of a "normal" remote and channel list editing capabilities like DBEdit make it difficult to use/maintain. Personally, I don't understand all the hype about MythTV, it was prolly game changing technology 10 - 15 years ago, but now it's all kind of standard? Iv'e also used TVHeadend and VDR, but the same thing, just too time consuming to configure/maintain compared to E2 boxes. I've read good things about WMC, but I haven't used any of Mr Gates' products in a looooooong time.

With an E2 box, channel updates, flashing new images, and "normal" remote are just so much easier/more user and "Mrs friendly". On the other hand, IPTV or "other" content viewing possibilities are extremely limited. Obviously, you don't have the versatility of a full-blown computer.

I read that Kodi is developing a new system with a combined front/backend; that could be a game changer. Until then, I don't think there is a complete "one box solution".

Hope this helps.

• Thanks to everyone

after veeeery long analysis I'm going to buy a zgemma-h10-combo, finger crossed

Not seeing any acm/vcm support on this. Don't know where you're from but it is a big plus for the Os Mio.
    Still convinced that versatility and ease of use for different apps is better done with dedicated devices.
    Trying to be positive and objective here. Until sat receivers at least get a usable GUI like Gnome or KDE, klunkiness is going to be the norm.

Added:
    Same as lost. Have an HTPC setting by my big screen. If Santa is good I'm wishing for a nice TBS card to add to it.
    A monster Nvidia card and the ability to stream most anything to my TV and AV system is a joy. Plus the use of bluetooth and a real bt keyboard/mouse.
    My HDHomerun makes watching OTA/cable channels a breeze too. Something neither the H7 or Os Mio can do.
    It is as close to an all in one system as we're going to get.
    Happy Holidays!

• I have an nvidia shield, it is great for iptv, kodi etc but no satellite support, plus they are expensive.

As everyone has said its going to be multiple box's, its horses for courses

110cm Triax Dish multi arm 13,16,19, 23, 28 east fixed 90cm thor

• The machine that comes closest to these requirements - to my mind - is

Zgemma H7S (2 x DVB-S2X and 1 x DVB-T2/C).

You can put an HDD/SSD in easily, it has a card reader, CI CAM slots, fastest 1GB LAN connection speed, many USB ports and much more - in a word: the works!!!

The combination of powerful and capable HW with an excellent kernel and drivers, plus fabulous support all round... A monster machine! So:

Sat TV works flawlessly, the best it can, Multistream included...

Cable TV works

Terrestrial TV works

Playback from NAS and PC in home network or internal and external HDD/SSD/USBs works the best of all STBs

Kodi works

E2iStream works

IPTV works even via normal, usual E2 channel lists

plus with PurE2 FNC plugins you get more films, series etc. than with any other version of E2...

In addition, OpenVPN works fine, so all your traffic is protected/encrypted and fully functioning at the same time!!!

And the price is right - now they are dirt cheap for this kind of a BEAST!!! ;) :) Mark my words, this is THE DEAL to beat, especially having in mind the fact that manufacturing of it continues and therefore the support is long term:

https://www.world-of-satellite…ceivers/zgemma/zgemma-h7s

zgemma-h7s-package-500x500.jpg

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Damn! I keep editing the post, as I keep remembering of things to add, since one shouldn't really take any of it for granted and one should point out all its credentials fairly!:wink:

So, there - I shall stop now... :rasta2bigsmoke0gf1: Enough of editing and adding stuff to the post above... :laugh1:

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Yeah. Depending where you are. Disastrous attempts at hardware blindscan. No ACM/VCM. As mentioned depending where you are no cable tuning possible.
    Dual sat tuners are cool. Cant run real Kodi, and at the mercy of devs to write stripped down kodi code. Dirt cheap for a reason.
    Os Mio all the way. Haven't fired up the H7 for 6 months. Found myself splicing in blindscan satellites.xml results from the mio into the H7.
    Has new tuner driver code from the chipset manufacturer even been released? AVL and Edision have.

Edit:

As I thought it over. The OP's subject reminds me of the days of console stereos. You get a cabinet with a tuner, amplifier, turntable, a cassette (or 8 track) tape transport, and a set of speakers all in one box. Maybe not the best of everything. But it's all there.
    Later on people realized that when the various components failed or degraded, they were stuck with a stereo that was dated.
    Component stereo systems allowed periodic upgrades. Maybe you wanted a better set of speakers. Or wanted to add an open reel deck, etc.

Well the one and only best all-in-one satellite receiver will still be a PC based system. Or a satellite receiver to receive satellite, a streaming box for audio/video media.
    Kodi on my smart TV works far better than either of the 2 satellite receivers that I have. And I can record on the sat receiver while using Kodi or playing music pretty seamless. One of the more convenient perks is the ability to use a small Bluetooth keyboard/touch pad to navigate searches and functions for the TV, streaming devices.
    Something that so far I haven't been able to do with the sat receivers.
    I mean, who really likes going up/down/right/left..center button....etc? And far too soon the remote is dust.
    So there you have it. If my sat receiver blows up I still have Roku, Fire TV, my smart tv. And my HTPC. Switching sources or PIP is usually a one button press.
    Once you screw your head into thinking that it actually makes more sense, your search for an all-in-one satellite receiver makes life that much more simple.
    I'll leave it at that and exit this thread.
    Gork, you do an excellent job of rallying pur. Good job!

• No problems with HW scan where I am. OP lives in USofA or EU or...? In EU it's fine. And elsewhere, from what I can see, if not in North American system...

New drivers do not automatically guarantee any better results. In fact, sometimes they are worse than the previous ones, so...???

A very REAL Kodi 17.6 runs fine everywhere, regardless where one is, so nothing to do with the box, only with the user...

Kodi 18.5, as Delfi already explained, has no real advantages in comparison to 17.6 right now...

And one could go on but what's the point when one has one's mind made up...???

And utterly emotionally so, based on 1 thing that doesn't work in the USofA...

I have carefully tested all its functions for a long time, listed them but... Two step PiP is too much hard work... if you're an American... Blimey!

Oh, well, sure, it all works fine (minus 1 in your neck of the woods, apparently) but let's make a big deal outta nothing, totally ignoring all the great sides of the box no other box matches at the moment (Mutant 51 OEM boxes are the same) because you have a tunnel vision... or worse... Jesus wept!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!