which linux receiver do you recommend

There are 14 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,189 times. The last Post () by s1m0nw.

• hi guys!!

i was just wondering what linux receiver do you recommend.
    i guess its a lot about the budget you have.

but if your budget was low, would it be a dreambox 500s or a openbox(dont know what model).
    or is there any other boxes you would recommend,maybe a top 5 if you can.

cheers guys...

• Clone Dm800 pro would be what i recommend if its something you will be using for the main tv.

Boycott shampoo, demand real poo

• Hi minty

Like you said it depends on your budget and what you won't to do with the box like twin tuners twin readers ect so the first thing I would do is figure out what you won't from a box then we will be able to give you a top five but here is my top five.

Vu+ ultimo
    Vu+ duo
    Vu+ uno
    Et 9200
    Et 9000

And so on get one with good support and popler happy reaserching. Hehehe

• All about research really - price, quality and features. Personally I find the original Dreamboxes overpriced, but the Vu+ range would always be up there. At the bottom end there are plenty of E2 receivers that are now competing with the non E2 ones, such as the Gigablue, DM800 HD (Dreambox clone) and now even NewDVB DVB800 HD (which is like a clone with its own brand name). I would say always go for an E2 receiver. No point getting an SD box because the HD receivers are not much more now. I have tried non E2 HD receievers, and believe me when I say that if you have had a taste of Enigma2 previously, you will very likely not like what you see if it is anything else.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• i agree with wozbwfc comments on what you want to do with your receiver ?

All about research really - price, quality and features. No point getting an SD box because the HD receivers are not much more now. I have tried non E2 HD receievers, and believe me when you have had a taste of Enigma2 previously, you will very likely not like what you see if it is anything else.

VU range and Dreambox would be where i put my money !

Feature wise the ultimo has to be one of the best spec'd Receivers ever made right ?

Rikjaard

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• defo go for the VU, if its in your budget. The clone VU boxes should also be considered few peeps here have them and haven't had any probs.

For a second box for use in bedroom etc then your can't really beat the openbox.

• IMhO you can't really go wrong with a VU+Duo. The price of an original from the site sponsor has now came down making it better value.

Everything on the VU+Duo works as you would expect it to. The image support is very good and it has a large user base so there is always likely to be someone with the same receiver who will be able to assist in the result of any issues. The lastest Blackhole images have added quite a few inn***tive new features.

The VU+Uno is also a good single tuner receiver which is cheaper than the Duo. However, a Dual tuner is due to be released for the Uno later this year which would enable you to upgrade an Uno to a twin tuner at a later date. The Uno had a few teething problems at the start with certain channels but these were resolved in a firmware update. The Uno has greater flash and ram compared to a Duo which may make a difference if images keep increasing in size.

Current clone Sunray DM800SE's are meant to be solid and also have excellent image support.

The new Gigablue 800SE is meant to be a good receiver and is priced reasonably.

The Xtrend range of receivers are also excellent. The Xtrend 9200 is a great value twin tuner receiver which a higher spec on paper than a VU+Duo but possibly less third party image/software support compared to the VU+Duo.

• I should also add that I have heard bad things about the Technomate Linux receivers. The TM-800 has a terrible reputation on various forums for images and plugins not working as you expect them to. For this reason, I would be wary about buying a Technomate linux receiver as I would be worried that the software would not be rock solid.

Technomate closed source receivers are excellent. The TM5402-HD is a cracking value receiver, ideal for a second box in a another room.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!