[Plugin] VPN Manager

There are 548 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 166,893 times. The last Post () by garip268.

• Also looking at the logs for OpenVPN

RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address xx-xxx.prod.surfshark.com:1443 (name or service not known)

could not determine ipv4/ipv6 protocol

if that means something to someone?

• With virgin I have to set Google DNS in network settings. I'm not sure if it will be better to use the vpns DNS in VPN manager.

• can you update your wonderful script to install latest v 1.1.4

also any chance if can maker servers list , as city /country name rather than the server name.

cheers

• I'll add 1.1.4 to the script but I don't name them that's just how the files are named on download.

Maybe best posting in my VPN setup guide thread rarther than here

• Yes, it means you did not do it exactly as described by me....

With Surfshark it is simpler than any other provider and I took to pains to PRECISELY describe EACH STEP, so....

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Hi,

I was following the tutorial step by step.

I have two problems, first I don't see the list of countries that I put in the folder / media / hdd / openvpn / spain, when I enter the VPN manager.

Second after turn off the box, the folder OpenVPN / Spain disappears.

Someone can help me

Device: Vu+ zero 4k

Image: Openspa

• If one does exactly as I did - I guarantee it will work. So, no improvisations, shortcuts, "Oh, this doesn't look important, so never mind that" or "I don't have the time" or "Ahhh, I can't be bothered with that" and so on....

IF (and I repeat, IF) one does exactly as I did - it MUST work!

==================================================================

There is one thing, though, which I have not described in detail in my pdf (see here: [Plugin] VPN Manager ) because it would have been a bit too long, I thought. Maybe sometimes one can miss that and problems can be related to it.

So, let me rectify it here: anyone who knows anything about PurE2 and the tutorials I wrote knows about the difference between dynamic and permanent mounting of devices/partitions.

Have you mounted your devices properly, in a permanent manner (not dynamic mounting), so your mounted devices/partitions do not "accidentally" swap places after a reboot, in which case your OpenVPN folder will not be where the plugin is searching for it? You see, not every image has this ability/feature, like PurE2 does.

OpenPLi and all other images (including PurE2) have automounting, which is dynamic. It means that E2 by default, detects USB memory stick or HDD/SSD (SATA or via USB cable/port) or mSD devices and mounts them automatically.

However, as simple as that is (especially for spiritually lazy users), when you have a more complex/demanding setup (and the VPN is precisely that - "complicating things" to get them to be better, with more options working for you, one of the features being YOUR SAFETY!!!) - I recommend PERMANENT MOUNTING!!!

So, one needs to think about it for about 15-20 minutes, just once, to understand it and then put it to good use, to your advantage!!!

Read about it in detail here: Mounting devices/partitions in PurE2's Device Manager and which files to send where!

Here, I will only put this, right to the point (in PurE2):

How to kill Automounting

MENU > pManager > Device Manager > Mount Manager > blue button > yellow button (to switch Automount OFF) > Exit > do this for all devices/partitions that you want fixed (for the full procedure, including more details see the above link).

In other words: our pManager can mount your devices/partitions permanently, as you want them to be, which is something only our image does by design.

So, whenever you reboot your machine the devices/partitions will remain as you set them up, i.e. they would not have swapped their places, as can frequently happen with the dynamic mounting.

===================================================================

Apart from that....

-have you set VPN Manager's settings exactly as I have done and shown with an image/screenshot? Look here: [Plugin] VPN Manager

-have you sorted out your Network settings with Primary and Secondary DNS or "Nameservers" as described by me?

-put in the username and password into plugin.py (or via RCU) correctly?

Restart and it must work!

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Do it exactly as I described and report back....

But do it EXACTLY as I described, no ifs and buts!!!

• gorski

I did exactly as it is in your tutorial.

Just one question at this point:

Code
    ) Create a folder on a USB stick/SSD/mSD card and name it whatever you want, say openvpn, so it would be here, as an example: /media/usb/openvpn

Do I have to create the folder on the USB stick? Can't it be inside the device's disk?

• gorski

I did exactly as it is in your tutorial.

Just one question at this point:

Code
    ) Create a folder on a USB stick/SSD/mSD card and name it whatever you want, say openvpn, so it would be here, as an example: /media/usb/openvpn

Do I have to create the folder on the USB stick? Can't it be inside the device's disk?

You couldn't have done everything exactly as I did...

master G already warned you of one mistake.

You asking about the need to create a folder on USB stick called openvpn also shows clearly you did not do exactly as I did...

And I suspect you made more errors, with an attitude like that...

• USB stick - never a problem.

It should not be on HDD with moving parts, we keep warning.... SSD OK but not HDD.

mSD card is also OK.

If you have loads of space, then yes, flash is OK - but usually people do not care when it comes to EPG etc. and that space gets overwhelmed very quickly, as it goes to flash by default, most of the time....

Therefore, I send all kinds of stuff to USB stick and the machine runs fine, then: subtitles (download), picons, EPG, logs, FNC backup and FNC favourites, OpenVPN files etc.

• Yes but if the devices swap places - after reboot it can't work... I feel sometimes this is the cause of some of these complaints...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!