H9S can't boot, can't be flashed...

There are 60 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 15,371 times. The last Post () by jenseneverest.

• I wouldn't know how to do that...

Ahem...

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• I wouldn't know how to do that...

Ahem...

You do know how to use a computer, and a text editor? It's not that complicated. Not sure what you're expecting others to do for you if editing a 5-line XML file is really that insurmountable. Have someone guide you through it, I've seen some nice folks even posting some hitool screenshots here, maybe they can even try the file for you to see if it's valid, even if not able to flash a real box.

• M8, I have been in this hobby for ages - but I am not from IT. (And I do not like putting myself where I do not belong.)

I do other things up to a certain, very high standard - but coder I am not. I am not IT educated. I have plenty of high qualifications elsewhere (Humanities) but not that one...

That said, I did figure out that the xml file here posted is the wrong type for the box here discussed. I ain;t stoopid, thanx a bunch...

Now, I know that geeks/IT people are frequently autistic and "think/feel" that everybody has to be like them - but no, this is not the case.... I don't know if you can even begin to understand that certain things simply are not my area of expertise and that we, Humans, have divided various tasks, so no one has to know everything (we co-operate), so let me be the one to break it to you gently...

So, in this particular case: unless you can do this - or somebody else who is competent in IT/coding - it ain't gonna happen...

Can you do it, please? As in "stop talking about how to do it, stop patronising me, stop trying to look very smart and capable and actually show us you really are that IT capable and smart"?

Thanx!

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• No, I can't do it because I don't have such box; I don't even have a windows computer to run HiTool, not that it matters because... I don't have such box.

Not sure what's your issue with the posted XML file... Your box is bricked, it can't really get much worse (pending catastrophic hardware issue).

I did post a XML file that might work; someone with HiTool should see what it says when it gets loaded (e.g., I'm not sure about the flash type value being "nand", but the rest should be pretty much on) - provided HiTool supports that box/the box supports HiTool.

No one is born knowing all this stuff, try and examine and ask questions to improve your knowledge. At some point you'll need to try something on your own box, using your own computer, and your own cable; if you need a step by step tutorial, just say so... Hopefully someone that can actually use HiTool steps up.

The XML is the least of your worries, so don't fret about it so much, because when you do, it really looks like you almost know what you're doing (in this particular topic, I'm sure you're very able in a lot of things that I or others are not, this isn't a diss,).

• Yes, m8 but...

This is the one for Maxytec 8GB/4 partitions (possibly plus a Droid partition), posted by our colleague:

And this is yours:

Code
    <Partition_Info>
    <Part Sel="1" PartitionName="boot" FlashType="nand" FileSystem="none" Start="0" Length="1M" SelectFile="C:\HiTool\Emmc_3798\fastboot.bin"/>
    <Part Sel="1" PartitionName="bootargs" FlashType="nand" FileSystem="none" Start="1M" Length="1M" SelectFile="C:\HiTool\Emmc_3798\bootargs.bin"/>
    </Partition_Info>

Now, to me this looks like "not usable", if you pardon my French, 'cause I can not compare with anything even vaguely similar and try to improvise, as I sometimes do, you are right... Alas, in such a case, without a paradigm, to me this is not hocus-pocus and it's then too difficult...

One must know how to calculate addresses, how to allocate certain amount of space, which partition is for what, i.e. how much space is allocated for each partition, precisely at which address... And I simply do not have the necessary education to do that.

The eMMC for my box is only 256MB but that doesn't mean that it isn't a complex task, to do a proper xml... Sadly... :(

• Define "not usable"?

The only thing that xml file is telling hitool is to read a couple of files from the file system (make sure to use the right ones for your box) and load them in the flash where the bootloader should go. The sizes are taken from checking the bootargs file for the h9s box under that openatv6.4 image I posted (and the files should be taken from there, too, or somewhere similar), the offsets are pretty straightforward for the bootloader as well. The only thing that changes is actually the partition name (again, taken from the bootargs file for h9s, but really not sure how important that is in the grand scheme of things).

After you, fingers crossed, recover the bootloader with hitool, supposedly you'd be able to flash a full image via USB, which is why I didn't bother trying to guess all the offsets (and order) of the remainder of the other files (sizes are easy because you just take them from bootargs, but the order not so much, although it _should_ be very similar to the h9combo/twin).

• Offsets for the bootloader, partition sizes, names etc. - and you lost me... These are not my professional terms, tools, as it were... I know it's tough but try, maybe you can get it, after all... You guys presume things, this is why you usually write rubbish tutorials. This is where I come in, that's what I do in this hobby, as a teacher by profession... I know how to flash, install, configure, test (I did test for many a great coder in this hobby, I am no slouch in some respects) - and present it to all the users without presuming things like this, so they can get the same results...

However, I am no coder. I have never, ever presented myself as one... I never ever unpacked an image. No idea what to use for it, for such purposes, which tool and so on and so forth... I would be looking at stuff in such files and I wouldn't know what I am looking into... If Notepadd++ can't open something that I can read - that's it for me...

Did I mention I am on forums where professionals congregate and no one dared do this....??? And I did tell them this is what we need - I am not stoopid, I can understand things sufficiently to do the above but not what you require me to do, as for that I am just not qualified, sadly...

Ergo, I am but a humble Sat TV/IT amateur... So, sorry but it's not exactly "that simple"...

But I can see it is simple for you, so why don't you demonstrate just how easy it is?

You have the Maxytec xml example, you know which image to pull for H9S xml, how to unpack an image, check the addresses, how much space for which partition, what are their names and whatever else is needed to write that file...

I am sure all of us would be really grateful! :)

• I've looked at the h9combo/twin openatv image vs the xml, and that's why I'm stating the order isn't linear (or at least doesn't match up); where's this Maxytec image that should match up to the xml so I can take a look?

Edit: also, again, someone with a box and hitool needs to test all this, you can't have omelettes without eggs (and I don't have any eggs, nor chicken :-)

• I don't get you now: we need H9S xml, not Combo/Twin.

We have Maxytec xml example in this thread.

Now, all you need to do is to DL and unpack H9S image, as you said it yourself, from OpenATV - yes?

Then, as you explained, when you unpack it, check the bootargs, was it? And so on... Well, you know what to do, why do you need me?

I mean, I do not have the box functional, I can not get in, that's the whole point, isn't it.... That is why I need the xml file for H9S...

• I've checked the Combo/Twin because it's a very similar box, apparently, and I already had images around from when I was looking at something completely unrelated. The bootargs for the latter don't exactly match the XML (namely the order, the sizes actually might match), so now I went and checked the MaxytecMulti4k image and got the relevant bootargs line from there:

blkdevparts=mmcblk0:1M(fastboot),1M(bootargs),18M(recovery),2M(bootoptions),2M(deviceinfo),4M(baseparam),4M(pqparam),4M(logo),40M(fastplay),20M(kernel),20M(trustedcore),4M(misc),1024M(system),150M(vendor),306M(e2tv),256M(cache),50M(private),8M(securestore),16M(linuxkernel1),16M(linuxkernel2),16M(linuxkernel3),16M(linuxkernel4),-(userdata) hbcomp=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13

This is pretty spot on with the XML, except for the name of the dvb partition (XML) which is named e2tv on the bootargs.

The 5 line XML I posted was from checking the bootargs from H9S, which is:

mtdparts=hinand:1M(boot),1M(bootargs),1M(baseparam),1M(pqparam),1M(logo),1M(deviceinfo),16M(kernel),234M(rootfs),-(others)

It's just that in the XML I only put the lines for the first 2 sections, boot & bootargs... As that's what I thought it was relevant... We can easily add the lines for the rest, taking the sizes from there, and the offsets is basically just starting at 0 and adding the size of all the previous sections/files (in this case offsets would be 0, 1M, 2M, 3M, 4M, 5M, 6M, 22M). We're left with the flash type parameter, which I guess it's "nand" instead of "emmc", and if hitool really supports this particular box.

• You probably don't even need an XML file, re-reading your opening post and the quote from some guy that puts only fastboot.bin on hiburn (which I presume is some section of hitool) you can probably just burn the bootloader directly to the chip then use the USB to load all the other files, as I suggested.

• Official Post

You probably don't even need an XML file, re-reading your opening post and the quote from some guy that puts only fastboot.bin on hiburn (which I presume is some section of hitool) you can probably just burn the bootloader directly to the chip then use the USB to load all the other files, as I suggested.

im in the same boat, i dont have this STB or a need for the tool, but that statement makes sense to me

This is exactly what i have done to recover other boxes, flash the bootloader directly to the chip. It is great that such easy tools now exist, as i have previously had to replace nand and sop8 chips.... i probably still have a programmer somewhere in the shed.....

• Well, not me...

I recovered Alien2 and I think AZbug HD Elite long ago, maybe once Ruby Cube, not sure - but usually it's RS232, I think...

No previous training, no tools, no skills of that sort, ergo no experience, either...

But, as I said, Combo/Twin/Maxytec are very different from H9s...

P.S. I think @baps said my RAM is actually screwed... which in English means "give it up - nothing you can do there..."??

• But, as I said, Combo/Twin/Maxytec are very different from H9s...

P.S. I think @baps said my RAM is actually screwed... which in English means "give it up - nothing you can do there..."??

Yes, we know those boxes are different than H9S, but they're similar to each other which was the point.

In English, that means "sell it for parts or give it away to someone with the tools and the inclination to replace the necessary components to fix it".

• You really think anyone is interested? Have you ever seen anyone asking for it, for parts or whatever reason? Hehe...

I mean, I was in "small ads" sections on various fora but never have I seen that... These are cheap as chips boxes that's why, I think...

• That's an excellent tutorial, thanks Mahdi-Dz. I also see, from the pics, there's a tab in HiTool called "Burn Fastboot", which is probably all one needs to then do the rest via USB (and probably doesn't need any xml file to do it :-)

• 'Cept, it doesn't work in my case, hence xml.... But OK...

Zgemma H9 Support Forum - Combo Tuner DVB-S2X DVB-C/T2 Linux Enigma2 Multi-stream QT Stalker WiFi Digital Receiver

Download Zgemma H9 Twin SE, Zgemma H9 Combo, Zgemma H9 Combo SE, Zgemma H9s and Zgemma H9s SE 4K UHD Series Images and Enigma2 Team Support from OpenATV, OpenBh, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenPLi, OpenLD, OpenSPA, OpenViX, OpenVision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, Sat-Lodge.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!