Unable to Flash system

There are 20 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,880 times. The last Post () by maxjam.

• Since my Zgemma H7S isn't working properly, I thought I would change the image, but have found that it won't flash. After following the instructions carefully, using different pen drives and USB ports, I find that when I power on, and press the front power button, the word 'flash' appears momentarily on the display and almost instantly disappears. However I am able to access the system remotely, so wondered if there is any way of installing a new image remotely via the shell terminal...

• 1) You can see how to flash a RECOVERY file, which will repartition your flash in a normal, 4 partitions manner:

http://www.pur-e2.club/OU/imag…=6.5/airdigital/RECOVERY/

- we still do not have v. 6.5 for only 2 partitions but that is not important,

- once you have 2 partitions you can install whatever you want in any of the partitions, of course, so

-you do not need to do that now, just flash another image in another partition.

Apologies in advance for any dumb questions, I've been using STB for a few years, but never fully understand the ins and outs of how they work, I just learn enough to get up and running. I have no idea about partitioning or multiboot systems, but have been advised that this thread might help me get Pur-E2 installed since I am having numerous problems with my Zgemma H7S which may have come about as a result of a previous upgrade which went wrong.

I am unable to apply a flash install from USB because I don't get a 'Flashing' msg on the display. The word 'flash' does appear momentarily after a few seconds and immediately disappears. From what I have read, although I may have misunderstood, I should be able to flash a recovery image from my hard disk or a mounted USB stick. I already have a /media/hdd/images with a couple of releases of openatv, but I'm not sure how proceed if I want to start from scratch with RECOVERY image.

Any help would be appreciated.

• @balange....ok m8 you have 2 threads going on this issue so i'm not certain which one you are reading..a Mod maybe could combine them...have you read the previous link I posted...also read the post #1 by friend gorski on this link here below...everything written on this subject by him is easy to follow...I found reading a few different threads over and over again helped get things straight in my head....regards

Flash your Zgemma H7x using RECOVERY and/or USB files

• My main problem is that my box no longer appears to pick up any signals via either of the tuners. I don't know of any way to do a diagnostic on the tuners, so that accounts for one thread. Now, ISTR that the problems started to occur after a system update so the above problem *might* be related to that, so I thought I would try again from scratch with a completely different image, ie Pur-E2, but unfortunately flashing it from USB will not work, hence the second thread. I joined this thread because someone suggested I would find a solution to flashing from either the hard disk, or a mounted USB. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with partitioning on my system or what a RECOVERY image is for... I guess if I don't already have Pur-E2 installed I shouldn't be using a RECOVERY image.

Basically, I want to start again from scratch and install Pur-E2, but not by flashing using the USB boot method. Not sure how to do that...

Sorry for the confusion.

• Official Post

My main problem is that my box no longer appears to pick up any signals via either of the tuners. I don't know of any way to do a diagnostic on the tuners, so that accounts for one thread. Now, ISTR that the problems started to occur after a system update so the above problem *might* be related to that, so I thought I would try again from scratch with a completely different image, ie Pur-E2, but unfortunately flashing it from USB will not work, hence the second thread. I joined this thread because someone suggested I would find a solution to flashing from either the hard disk, or a mounted USB. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with partitioning on my system or what a RECOVERY image is for... I guess if I don't already have Pur-E2 installed I shouldn't be using a RECOVERY image.

Basically, I want to start again from scratch and install Pur-E2, but not by flashing using the USB boot method. Not sure how to do that...

Sorry for the confusion

3 threads is getting out of hand.

Recovery image is exactly that, an image to recovery from a bad flash or failed software update

Have you flashed it exactly like you were advised to in the other thread ?

Use a good name branded usb stick less than 8gb in size

Low level format the usb stick to fat32

download new firmware, and extract the zipped file to the USB stick

Follow the instructions in the other thread.

• master G

Added the Label Image Flashing & Backup Support

My main problem is that my box no longer appears to pick up any signals via either of the tuners.

@balanga...Yes buddy that's correct because the receiver tuners do NOT know what the hell the dish is pointed at and what it's supposed to tune so therefore nothing can show

I don't know of any way to do a diagnostic on the tuners,

Forget diagnostic it's not possible to do this on a tuner if the tuner on this receiver is knackered the receiver gets binned...

I'm not too familiar with partitioning on my system

Yes again you don't need to worry about partitioning anything the image is configured to do that for you it's a pre-compiled Linux image built to do all the difficult/tricky stuff such as disk partitioning etc...provided you follow and do what the respected Mods/Staff have also suggested it's a painless process..best regards

• Just an update to say I finally did manage to flash the unit when I used a different USB stick!

This time I used a RECOVERY image and as soon as I pressed the front power button 'F L S H' appeared on the display. The same happened using this image when I tried my other USB disks, so it seems the problem only occurs with USB.zips.

Anyway thanks to all for the help.

In addition my tuners seem to be working fine so I must have screwed something up badly when applied an update previously.

• Always first thing is usb stick the smaller the better with I have old 256mb one I just use for flashing but have had no bother with sandisk ones but only used up to 16 gb for flashing.

so it seems the problem only occurs with USB.zips.

Hold on a minute m8 that's not what occurs..what you are implying from this post you made is that you had NOT unzipped or extracted the Zgemma folder from the zipped file itself as jenseneverest had advised in his post #9...if that's so then that's been your problem all along when attempting to do a flash...that's a common mistake folk make...you MUST unzip the file first or the system wont see the image...regards

Hold on a minute m8 that's not what occurs..what you are implying from this post you made is that you had NOT unzipped or extracted the Zgemma folder from the zipped file itself as jenseneverest had advised in his post #9...if that's so then that's been your problem all along when attempting to do a flash...that's a common mistake folk make...you MUST unzip the file first or the system wont see the image...regards

I've been unzipping files for thirty years! Just to explain.... the *-recovery_emmc.zip images worked fine, the *-usb.zip images didn't.

• Just an update to say I finally did manage to flash the unit when I used a different USB stick!

You must use the recovery.emmc file to flash by USB, not the one labelled USB. That is for flashing via software manager.

I carefully followed the instructions here:-

https://www.openvix.co.uk/open…gemma%20H7%20by%20USB.pdf

and they mention openvix-5.2.04.release-zgemmah7_usb.zip

• They're old instructions. There only used to be one file but now there is a recovery.emmc that repartitions the flash memory and installs the image to the first slot.

I've mentioned that the guide may need to be updated on the ViX forum.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!