Help Correctly Aligning My 1.2M Channel Master Dish and moteck H-H180 motor

There are 244 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 9,529 times. The last Post () by supwiddiss.

• I looked back at your earlier pics and you almost had it correct apart from brackets on the outside instead of inside and they needed turning round if you look closely at the bend. Can you say how you got dish attached to motor? Did you put motor on dish first and then lift onto pole?? Or did you put motor on pole first ready with dish attachment?

Just say what you did in sequence and that may make it easier to get you sorted. Have you anyone to help you? The storm ISHA is arriving at 5pm tomorrow where I am so you have some time. Look back at that pic that was done before someone put red rings around. I'm in and out at the moment. Here is a pic of my rig 1.1m triax and dark motor, also a fixed dish for 28east. 16 years and going strong. Its 45e to as far west as I like but stop at 30w.

• I looked back at your earlier pics and you almost had it correct apart from brackets on the outside instead of inside and they needed turning round if you look closely at the bend. Can you say how you got dish attached to motor? Did you put motor on dish first and then lift onto pole?? Or did you put motor on pole first ready with dish attachment?

Just say what you did in sequence and that may make it easier to get you sorted. Have you anyone to help you? The storm ISHA is arriving at 5pm tomorrow where I am so you have some time. Look back at that pic that was done before someone put red rings around. I'm in and out at the moment. Here is a pic of my rig 1.1m triax and dark motor, also a fixed dish for 28east. 16 years and going strong. Its 45e to as far west as I like but stop at 30w.

i attached the mount on the pole first then motor to the mount then the dish plate on the dish then lifted it onto the motor

• To get the wall mounts and pole re powder coated.

ok looks good how it was, is that the one u are having put back up?

Yes its the same setup except the motor will be a jeager 1224 Supermount, as you can see, i replaced the cables yesterday, x2 RG6 and 4 core motor cable. All the sat positions are currently stored in my ultimo 4k reciever, i just need to input them all again on the v-box once installed.

• Official Post

claihew 16 years on a dark motor is impressive, mine lasted about 8 months lol. Current Technomate is about 7 years old....but that dish has probably had 3 or 4 motors in 20 years......I have always just bought the cheapest i could find at the time for the little dish..... Usuals is far far easier than a positioner mind.

FUCKYOUALL you can be thankful your not working at height like BanjoXo71 (nice setup you got there BTW)

• Update 20/1/24:

i couldn't find my wire (its in the old shed somewhere, will look for it when its abit warmer (currently cold and windy here), so meanwhile i have attached 2 very strong cable ties to each of the brackets and then onto the dish plate (please note its only temp), when i find my wire i will attach that instead! my INCLINOMETER also arrived today (finally but it came in 3 parts which i had to put together) see pics attached!!

This is what it looks like as of right now (i will tidy it up when weathers better)

ps the cable ties are strong enough to move my dish and motor at the same time (just tried it)

might have to get some longer metal or brackets or something to attach the dish plate to the motor top mounting plate (might work better)

1.jpg

Dish as it looks right now

2.jpg

Brackets as they looks right now

3.jpg

INCLINOMETER as it looks right now

4.jpg

Side of dish as it looks right now

wont-go-back-anymore.jpg

These wont go back anymore! due to the bolts at the bottom

"theres a storm incoming" so this is all i can do today.... how does it look?

@jenseneverest i would never put such a large dish at that height because of the weight, my house not being able to support it (due to not being brick) and due to the fact im in the uk and it would just break due to shitty wind!

@BanjoXo71 i would have a cctv camera facing upwards to keep an eye on the dish at all times anyways just incase anything happens to it and to make sure its ok at all times ;)

the wind blew the INCLINOMETER as i was taking this pic thats why the base it doesnt look flat against the pole!

• BanjoXo71 i would have a cctv camera facing upwards to keep an eye on the dish at all times anyways just incase anything happens to it and to make sure its ok at all times ;)

I have one on the opossite side aswell :) they are 4k and 24/7 color to. The dish only shows over the roof by a few inches so its not bad at all with the weather. Even after 3 years and some bad storms the dish still looks like new.

< VU+ Ultimo 4K - OpenBH v5.3 - Primesat PR1200 V-Box - CM 1.2M Dish - Jaeger SMR 1224 Motor - Inverto Twin C120 LNB - Raven Feedhorn >

Edited once, last by BanjoXo71 ().

• BanjoXo71 i would have a cctv camera facing upwards to keep an eye on the dish at all times anyways just incase anything happens to it and to make sure its ok at all times ;)

I have one on the opossite side aswell :) they are 4k and 24/7 color to.

nice yea mine are to :) < makes it better to see where the dish is pointing to when its dark etc <

i was only able to pick up Astra 28.2E & Astra 23.5E back then but no other sats so thats why i came here asking for help because it need to track the arc correctly!

also changed to much of it to put it back to the way it was before!

• The fact you picked up 2 sats was a result and you could have peaked the dish/rig on 28east. Hopefully BanjoXo71 will take the trouble to explain the best way to attach dish to mount/motor. I would attach the whole lot while on the ground and then lift onto pole but that would take two. I think you said you were getting some slabs to put dish on BUT you may find out why that dish is bolted to the ground soon . Have you a clear view of the sky from your back garden? Any trees, high walls, houses etc. Did you get dish to move east to west and above all were you getting pictures on 28east and 23.5.?

What size is the dish in the background?

Edited once, last by claihew ().

• The fact you picked up 2 sats was a result and you could have peaked the dish/rig on 28east. Hopefully BanjoXo71 will take the trouble to explain the best way to attach dish to mount/motor. I would attach the whole lot while on the ground and then lift onto pole but that would take two. I think you said you were getting some slabs to put dish on BUT you may find out why that dish is bolted to the ground soon . Have you a clear view of the sky from your back garden? Any trees, high walls, houses etc. Did you get dish to move east to west and above all were you getting pictures on 28east and 23.5.?

What size is the dish in the background?

there's trees over the other side of the river near mine but they arn't in the way due to the dish stand being on a pallet which makes it higher of the ground, the dish in the background is about 90 or 100cm (cant remember which as had it for awhile now) < going to use that for another project aswell when i get time <

• Official Post

That dish is a billion miles out. Do you remember the pic i posted of my dish face angle ?

I have not looked at calculating your angles (as others have done so) but that is a Billion miles out.

The dish is pointing towards the ground :exploding head:

I highly doubt that pallet is required, you had signal on 28.2e without it didn't you ?

The bungie cords are a waste of time.

Is you pole vertical? as it looks out a long long way to me going by that pic with the inclinometer at its offset angle it needs a level base to measure off of

- CHECK THE POLE FIRST.

Not Cool.jpg

• the pole is attached to its own base of course its level, straight

fyi thats an old pic! see updated ones from today:

Update 20/1/24:

i couldn't find my wire (its in the old shed somewhere, will look for it when its abit warmer (currently cold and windy here), so meanwhile i have attached 2 very strong cable ties to each of the brackets and then onto the dish plate (please note its only temp), when i find my wire i will attach that instead! my INCLINOMETER also arrived today (finally but it came in 3 parts which i had to put together) see pics attached!!

This is what it looks like as of right now (i will tidy it up when weathers better)

ps the cable ties are strong enough to move my dish and motor at the same time (just tried it)

might have to get some longer metal or brackets or something to attach the dish plate to the motor top mounting plate (might work better)

1.jpg

Dish as it looks right now

2.jpg

Brackets as they looks right now

3.jpg

INCLINOMETER as it looks right now

4.jpg

Side of dish as it looks right now

wont-go-back-anymore.jpg

These wont go back anymore! due to the bolts at the bottom

heres some more pics, 1 from the side of the side facing the neighbours fence, and the other 2 are showing how close to the mounting plate is to the lower motor arms are:

bbce4f5b-a637-4e2c-91c4-9ae8aeb56aa9.jpg

i hope you can see the issue here??

bbee4eda-3d69-4e94-a850-dbf4ebd03794.jpg

d1d91793-45ad-4b3c-907b-01a592863450.jpg

i hope you can see theres NO issue here?? except for wanting the dish and mount off the ground!!

oh and the fact the gardening will be done when weather gets better!

"theres a storm incoming" so this is all i can do today.... how does it look?

ps the bungie cords are there temp

the wind blew the INCLINOMETER as i was taking this pic thats why the base it doesnt look flat against the pole!

the pallet is staying aswel due to the fact i want it off the ground (to close to the ground and i cant get round it with strimmer when cutting grass)!!

• Official Post

the pole is attached to its own base of course its level, straight

have you measured it with a spirit level ? THE POLE ITSELF - or use the inclinometer, check front and back and both sides it must be level.

I am referring to todays pics - i posted that pic above because you need to reduce the angle of the dish face.....you have INCREASED IT.

Everyone else has used the brackets supplied just like your brackets.

• the pole is attached to its own base of course its level, straight

have you measured it with a spirit level ? THE POLE ITSELF - or use the inclinometer, check front and back and both sides it must be level.

I am referring to todays pics - i posted that pic above because you need to reduce the angle of the dish face.....you have INCREASED IT.

Everyone else has used the brackets supplied just like your brackets.

yes spirit level

no i decreased it the dish cant go further back due to the lower mounting bracket touching the face plate at the bottom, i know "Everyone else has used the brackets supplied just like your brackets." but they must have done something to the corners of the lower mounting bracket in order for it to work, its either pointing to high or too low?

TODAYS PIC!

4.jpg

YESTERDAYS PIC:

251344-not-cool-jpg

see the difference between them? i decreased the angle of the dish at the top

theres no easy way to correct it!!

• heres some more pics, 1 from the side of the side facing the neighbours fence, and the other 2 are showing how close to the mounting plate is to the lower motor arms are:

bbce4f5b-a637-4e2c-91c4-9ae8aeb56aa9.jpg

bbee4eda-3d69-4e94-a850-dbf4ebd03794.jpg

d1d91793-45ad-4b3c-907b-01a592863450.jpg

i hope you can see theres NO issue here?? except for wanting the dish and mount off the ground!! < the higher off the ground the better right??

as i said before when i get the slabs delivered i will add them to the base of the mount and remove the bags of stones & the bungie cords (as i said before many times they are only temp) and when i remove them it will look more tidy !! i want to get it all correctly aligned first!

oh and the fact the gardening will be done when weather gets better!

@jenseneverest, @BanjoXo71, claihew

• Official Post

Okay i see the issue now!!!

I wonder if the black dish face bracket is upside down ? Would it make any difference ---- No idea to be honest..... but no one has said they have had that issue ?

Its not making sense to me why they would not allow for more adjustment there..... before cutting/bending/drilling anything try and see if it could be assembled in another way.....

For ease of setup and getting angles correct,...... i would remove the dish from the bracket - the 4 bolts that go through the dish to mount it.

Get the dish out the way to make it a lot lighter and to enable you to measure all your angles correctly.

Once happy put the dish back on to search for signal and final adjustments.

Your garden looks a dam side tidier than mine, gardening is a job only done spring.....just in time for summer.

That fence looks to be about 6 meters away ? my garden is 7 meters wide and the fence opposite is no issue at all with my dish....(which is lower down than yours.)

• Yea it doesnt make sense why they didnt leave enough room for it to move, only way that can happen is if i undo the bottom bolts drop it down do the bolts up and then the same for the top

• Look carefully at the PIC I posted showing the motor connected correctly. You have the motor pointing to the sky, see the big bolt on the side loosen that so the motor will pitch forward until you can attach the dish correctly. Now you can start setting angles but until you fix the motor correctly you will get nowhere. Just keep comparing the pics. And if you are going to move dish again do nothing until it is permanently in place.

I was hoping BanjoXo71 would explain how to fix the dish to motor but hey may reply later. Until you fix that dish correctly its a waste of time, trust me.

Edited once, last by claihew ().

• I'll have to make a few statements and then step aside until positive progress is made here. Sorry.

.................................................................................................................................

Banjo has posted photos that show a working setup. A great place to start.

If all of his angles were in fact setup properly then there is no reason at all receiving satellites in the Clarke Belt was not possible.

....................................................................................................................................

I looked at the specs for this dish. They started out as Andrews, then either Raven or Channel master.

And the look angle (offset angle) are all stated as being 22.5 - 22.6 degrees.

.....................................................................................................................................

I cropped one of the photos Banjo posted.

If everything was setup properly then the black line through the centerline of the motor shaft will be equal to his latitude.

Without a doubt.

The yellow line would represent a straight edge, initially extended from the absolute top of the dish to the center of the bottom LNBF support arm.
    The yellow line would be his latitude angle.

And the offset angle of the dish added so that satellite signal reflects correctly into the LNBF throat.
    Then. We add the proper declination angle. Which is illustrated by the final black line across the front of the dish reflector.

Banjo.jpg

......................................................................................................................................

Because I do not have a Raven dish like this. My assumption would be that if you measured the angle of the dish face (black line).

And the flat part of the dish mounting plate.

They will be the exact same. Parallel to each other.

Correct me. Banjo?

..........................................................................................................................................

A polar mount is much less tolerant of even the slightest movement.
    A wood pallet just won't hack it. At the very least a flat, compacted sand and gravel base on the ground and then a precast concrete slab with cable extensions at 3 corners to the support pole.
    But I think we haven't reached that point yet.
    If the most important thing of your dish mount is being able to string trim around it. Wrong approach.

................................................................................................................................................

An inclinometer was just fine for setting up stationary dishes.
    But in this day and age a digital version is just a no-brainer.

Especially for setting up a polar mount. You will be able to better keep track of the exact and miniscule changes you are making.

You will not see 0.10 degree changes with an analog gauge.
    For awhile I was using my phone app. But steel, iron close to it made for measurement errors.
    There are many versions of these. Very inexpensive to the sky's the limit.
    I have this. It has been used for many upgrades to the type of dishes in my area that sat for years.
    They are an invaluable tool.

Klein.jpg

.....................................................................................................................................................

If for some reason the interfering points of the mount that were shown keep from getting the angles setup.
    A solution needs to be found. I would unbolt the dish from the mounting plate.
    I see the lower slotted bolt holes. Wondering if lifting the whole bracket would allow more adjustment.
    So instead of the bracket resting the bottom bolts. Lift the whole bracket?
    Drill a few holes? We need to find something that will allow us to get the proper geometry.
    Grind or cut off off the interfering part of the motor bracket?
    Something must be done.

But then again. Banjo was able to get his working.
    Was he able to track the entire satellite arc? Or just a few at the top?

..........................................................................................................................................................

Figure it out. Do what is needed.
    Make it work. Then make it pretty.
    Mock it up without the dish bolted on.
    Get that mounting base 100% solid. It cannot wobble at all.
    I know without a doubt I could do it.

...........................................................................................................................................................

I'm seeing a lot of worrying and not enough doing here.

It is really time to also look at and digest the satellite arc error chart I posted earlier.
    As mentioned. Getting a few satellites close together in the arc.
    Errors in mounting angles are less noticeable.
    Knowing why and being able to figure out how signal starts to decrease, why you cannot get a signal.
    Figuring out that pushing/pulling on the bottom of the dish. Grabbing the outer rim to move it East or West a little bit.
    A combination of both.
    Making 0.10 degree adjustments.

..............................................................................................................................................................

Tapping out. But not dropping out.

It's all here. It's up to you now.

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!