Help Correctly Aligning My 1.2M Channel Master Dish and moteck H-H180 motor

There are 244 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 9,531 times. The last Post () by supwiddiss.

• Er? U not replied to my posts!!

Lastnight u said to use wire to link the faceplate to the brackets i couldnt find the wire i have so i used cable ties instead, now if u look 👀👀 at my pics and posts you will see what i have done today!!!! PLEASE READ

• Dan. I see what you have done. Zippie ties are okay.
    Did you get an idea on how far your angles are off.
    As I said. Do you think raising the mounting bracket so that the bottom slotted holes are higher would allow you to get the required angle?
    That would be your latitude angle. And then another 22.5 degrees ( lowering the lnbf more towards the ground.
    Maybe cut or bevel off the corner of the motor bracket so the plate could tilt back more?

And. Are you following me on exactly why it is important to get the elevation angle of the motor set to precisely to your latitude?
    Understand that your dish. If the back mounting plate and the front of the dish rim (vertically) were the same angle as your elevation angle.
    Will be "looking" 22.5 degrees too high in the sky?
    It's cool. Just reply yes or no. And if no. Why.

• Ok

• Dan you cant fix a dish like that. The PIC I posted is the only way to attach to dish. You have to grasp a few things. That dish has to be bolted to the ground, You cant align a dish mickey mouse i e. using pieces of string. When I look at your fixings and compare to the PIC there is also a differemece in that where you have the elevation bolt you have the attachment at an angle, the pic shows it vertical. And your one has holes that I cant fathom.

If you look at the pic sent by BanjoXo71 you can zoom in and see his elevation, set yours to that for a start. And I don't have the manual for the motor but it must have listed the parts with pics. You can get a signal with a dish badly aligned but then you have to set it up.

I did say some of the advice given is a bit daft.

• "I see what you have done. Zippie ties are okay. " That is plain daft and if I was Dan I would block you. Just look at the PIC I posted showing how the motor is connected properly. Don't be giving out daft advice you should know better.

And we know exactly how important the angles are and so does Dan.

BanjoXo71 please explain how to attach motor correctly.

Edited 2 times, last by claihew: add a bit ().

• Clai. I have the manual. It is with the assumption that previous experience is a given.
    The slotted dish bracket tells me that the dish would work with with other motors.
    It would be the happiest with an actuator driven polar mount.
    But anything can be done if you apply yourself.
    Mickey Mouse. "Rigged". Realizing that accuracy and a rock-solid mount I'm afraid will be a realizaion that will become very apparent later.
    Ku band is a bit forgiving. I never used my receiver setting for "Filter out adjacent satellites by X degrees" for C band.
    Once I put a sidecar Ku lnbf, a Geosat Pro.....made for a smaller dish....on mine.

Scanning a few real strong satellites turned up a whole lot of transponders that 'shouldn't have been'.
    Normally for C band I get maybe 30 encoder counts per 2 degree spaced satellites. 15/degrees.
    And signal loss 10 counts either side of "dead nuts"
    With Ku band. I get signal overlap looking for and scanning 2 degree spaced sats. And 20-25 encoder counts when signal lock happens.

• OK GUYS LISTEN UP!!

I'm going to start setting it all up from the very beginning (when the weather isn't too bad, possibly next week) fingers crossed, i will do it by the steps below:

1. i will start dismantling it bit by bit and laying it all out on the ground (on a large matt so i know where all the parts are).
    2. i will then remove the wooden pallet.
    3. i will then use a spirit level to make sure the Concrete base is still 100% level < will take pics and post here <
    4. i will then move the metal base (with its pole) back onto the Concrete and make sure its still 100% Straight and level. < will take pics and post here
    5. i will then reassemble the motor back onto the metal pole & set the correct elevation and dinclination angles < will take pics and post here <
    6. i will then reattach the dish to the motor < will take pics and post here <
    7. Hopefully by this point i will have a signal and be able to track the arc correctly < will take pics and post here <

GOD HELP ME THIS TIME!!

• Official Post

Yes i like that plan very much indeed :goodpost1:

I will add that you have been given the angles things should be at.

You have an inclinometer and so can measure things fairly accurately now.

Dont do like this:

:tinfoil:

• I just have a simple motorised dish.

Used one of those digital spirit levels and got all the angles absolutely spot on.

Worked first time and I get 52E to 30W.

Don't underestimate how anal you need to be when setting the angles and making sure things are level.

• i found this setup on Channel master 1.2m | SatelliteGuys.US thread bit similar to mine just without the same motor, and thats very very low to the ground & another pic of another dish with a older model of the same type of motor

• I dug up a photo from the same setup located in London.
    Had to investigate and did some math.
    Dropped a few guidelines and rotated the picture so that the pole was plumb with the vertical guideline.

Dropped angled guides at the motor shaft. Which is the same as the latitude.
    Pulled up Dish Pointer. Got this:London.png

Calculated bit.
    Vertical is 0 or 360 degrees, 180 degrees on the bottom.
    Right is 90 degrees, left is 270 degrees.

Motor elevation:
    360 -51.5 = 308.5
    Exactly what angle my guideline was set to.
    Cool!

Then. Dropped a guideline across the dish face. Duplicated it at the back of the dish across the dish mount plate.

The math on this one got me a little bit.
    And got:

Turn 270 degrees into 0 degrees.
    Elevate the motor 51.5 degrees from horizontal.

Add 22.5 degrees to that for dish offset. 77.6 degrees.
    Add 7.4 degrees to that for declination. 85 degrees.
    Subtract 85 degrees from 360 degrees (top of pole being 360). Got 275 degrees.
    Close enough for a fuzzy photo.
    The angles came up a few digits off. Considering I wasn't looking exactly across the dish face from the rim. Acceptable.

But the math works.

So I would check everything twice.
    It may be the fact you can use the slotted brackets. Because the photo also shown them being used.

London.jpg

• UPDATE: 21/1/24:

Hey Guys a Quick Update from this afternoon,

1. i have taken my dish off the motor and laid it on the ground (taken LNB OFF & put in shed until i reattach everything)
    2. i removed the dish mount from the wooden pallet and put sprit level on the concrete base (seems like its sunk in places, possible due to all the rain we have been having over past few months), so i moved the base onto the grass now, put spirit level on 2 of the sides (it was unlevel by small amount so i put some wood under the left side and the back side, now its level on those 2 sides, but not on the right hand side :(,
    3. anyways once i done that i set the latitude on the motor to 56 degrees (well by the angle on the side of the motor - see pic 1)
    4. i then moved the 2 black brackets to the upright position and tightened them up (see pics 3,4,5,6)
    5. i then made sure the motor Latitude was set to 0 & made sure bolts where tight see pic 6 {also tightened the nuts at the bottom of that aswell after i took the pic}
    6. i then took pictures of my progress and uploaded them hear and posted this update
    7. ps its cold and windy here now so this is all will do for today,
    8. next update should be sometime in the next week hopefully (weather dependent) :)
    9. i hope this update will prove to you guys how 100% committed to setting up & Aligning my dish CORRECTLY,

What should i do next??

1. turn the motor slightly to the right so its looking straight ahead as at the min its not. < just done that <
    2. put the new slabs on the base. < waiting for them to be delivered <
    3. Reattach the Dish to the motor. < GOD HELP ME DO THAT <
    4. Realign dish to Thor 0.8w < GOD HELP ME DO THAT <
    5. Chill and hope its aligned correctly :) < CANT WAIT FOR THIS DAY!! <

SO THESE ARE THE SATELLITES I WANT TO BE ABLE TO PICK UP WITH MY DISH IS THERE ANY OTHERS THAT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO RECIEVE ASWELL?

Please Post Reply's below thanks :)

1. thor 0.8w < Channels & Feeds <
    2. ABS 3w < Channels & Feeds <
    3. eutelsat 7e < Channels & Feeds <
    4. eutelsat 9e < Channels & Feeds <
    5. eutelsat 10e < Channels & Feeds <
    6. eutelsat 16e < Channels & Feeds <
    7. eutelsat 33e < Channels & Feeds <
    8. hotbird 13e< Channels & Feeds <
    9. astra 19.2e < Channels & Feeds <
    10. astra 28.2e < Channels & Feeds <
    11. astra 23.5e < Channels & Feeds <

POSSIBLE NEXT REBUILD UPDATES WILL BE BETWEEN THE 24/1 & 28/1 WEATHER & WORK DEPENDING!! :)

Did i do GOOD? :)

@supwiddiss

@jenseneverest

@BanjoXo71

• Nice progress. A pleasant surprise.
    Suggestion would be to scrape and level the ground under the base so you're assured you won't get any wobble at all. Then if you weight it with concrete blocks or whatever. Just make sure the mounting pole always stays plumb. We're going to need that definitely. In other words. No wooden blocks.
    Soak the ground with a bucket of hot water. Whatever is needed so that pole stays plumb and no wobble at all.

And now I can see your biggest issue when you were describing you couldn't tilt the dish back because the dish mount interfered with the lower motor bracket.
    *Ding*. Light bulbs light up!
    Ummmm.... have a drill and bits? Accurately layout and drill bolt holes that are further to the front of the lower motor bracket.
    See how close the upper slotted holes come to the front of that side? Yeah!
    But you knew that didn't you?
    Now that you have the elevation set. And we've determined the dish bracket angle fairly close.
    Hold the bracket. Or just bolt it up to the slotted upper brackets.
    Get your inclinometer and set that angle. Then mark where you would drill the holes.
    Of course that rear plate angle is without the declination added in.
    And leaving some adjustment in the top slotted brackets for tweaking it all in.
    Easy!

Oh and yes. Get that motor set exactly to the 0 mark on it. No biggie.

Haha. You gonna' ever remove that Fragile tape?

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!