Linux server

There are 46 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,517 times. The last Post () by annie12.

• hi lads having being using vu and dm500 for sharing for some time now,,i think it time to build a pc server any good tips,
    on were to start, eg ubuntu/debian.. i have a an omikey reader 3121 want to use with **y...using Cccam213/oscam
    never really tried this before as i am a stb person, so any help would be very welcome (ps is tere a big dummies way)
    thanks in advance...
    pss. looking for a big dummies way.

• Annie its kind of pointless doing it the big dummies way cos you'll never really understand it if it breaks or needs attention ¬
    Having said that,i can assure you there is enough info here to get you going WHICH surprisingly is very simple to achieve !
    you will need an old pc - not the screen just the box ultimately, Access to a screen during initial setup is useful i might add !
    Follow the tutorial HERE
    your already posting o the forum so you know wot to do if you get stuck already ! 18 moths ago i made an almost identical post to you !

:rikjaard1:

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Hi Annie,

Now the fun starts lol!

Well everything is in the forum just a case of bringing it all together a tweaking!

Debian or Ubuntu horses for courses! I tried both and prefer Debian but many people will beg to differ!

Firstly you need to decided server only OS or Desktop OS baring in mind the Desktop OS will be a bit of a drain on your PC dependent on it spec but nothing to much to worry about!
    If you familiar with linux commands and remote access and the like then server OS will be better all round!

Theres auto scripts/tuts below so just make a choice and dive straight in

http://linuxsat-support.com/li…l-package-debian-6-a.html

http://linuxsat-support.com/li…-installation-ubuntu.html

Oscam configs for ***

http://linuxsat-support.com/os…am2-1-3-s%2Ay-uk-ipk.html

and guide for installing omnikey readers!

http://linuxsat-support.com/li…key-readers-linux-pc.html

if you get stuck give us a shout but just read through carefully with a clear mind lol!

Have Fun!

:mrgmx:

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• Thanks mrGmx

18 moths ago i made an almost identical post to you !

i still dont know what im doing annie i just sweep up when every one has gone home,difficult recently wiv Banny about welcome10

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Thanks for the quick answers lads, But the way i would like to go at it is start at the beginning ubuntu/debian
    Install that then move on..ftp to server then readers card reading cams/lines ect..
    my first question debian or ubuntu and link for same ..

ps the comp i hoping to set it up on is p4/1gb ram /80gb.hdd
    not to sure what mrgmx meant OS or Desktop OS, i would like to be able to access
    from my pc adding removing lines ect..but stand alone is the ambition... cheers

• Its going to be down to choice Annie pick one and give it a try!

If you want the glory of drag and drop and an editor to edit files then choose Desktop

If you happy ftp, wnscp files e.t.c the choose server?

Debian and Ubuntu scripts attached in previous posts

You will have to choose the path you go down.

That will get OS installed and/or Oscam Cccam....then just choose configs and tweak!

But get OS installed and Run autoscripts and post back!

PS
    Desktop OS - User Interface with programs e.t.c like windows! Users Computer Resources!
    Server OS - Dos like layout, linux commands, remote access ! Uses a lot less, Small in install e.t.c

Both will do the job, one just easier than the other if not used to remote access and linux commands e.t.c

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• I did the Ubuntu, installed the server edition as my 'server' is an old laptop... I thought, I bungled my way through, so I thought for best results id do it from scratch it was actually on my second install, that I got a whole better understanding of it all...

I might have a go at the Debian one too one night, if im bored just so ive experience in both ways, but as ive only done it via ubuntu, I can't tell you the pros and cons of both ways.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• ive experience in both ways.

Oh dear annie ¬ wot have you started ?

I prefer the debian way

• :39_002: I don't know what your talking about, I wasn't even here

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• i have just installed ubuntu server for the second time the day but the commands seem to be getting easier
    few wee problems then made a arse of static ip .and couldnt get the auto script for cccam to run but found another tut
    for dos commands .and i do seem to understand things far better for it so dont get stressed out just play about with
    what ever distro you think has the easier tuts to follow

• Good choice anne12, I used both Debian & Ubuntu and I found Ubuntu to be better and more user friendly.
    Just Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 12.04 Server 64Bit and got everything up n running with alamski Auto install.
    Note: I had switch the oscam binary for a 64Bit compatible version, but other than that I just followed the tut!
    http://linuxsat-support.com/li…-installation-ubuntu.html

One thing that I would suggest is using the Server distro's instead of the Desktop GUI Versions.
    There is no point in using extra processing resources on your p4/1gb ram when you will never really need the desktop GUI.

Good Luck

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Thanks for your input/help (thatfellow) but my prob;em with the server version was black screen (terminal) no menus used to be good at dos
    years ago but thats a differant ball game, now thinking not 2 bother is it worth the hassle.

Thanks for your input/help (thatfellow) but my prob;em with the server version was black screen (terminal) no menus used to be good at dos
    years ago but thats a differant ball game, now thinking not 2 bother is it worth the hassle.

I know annie, I was the same starting off, but now Id much prefer using the terminal.. There is only about 50 commands that you will ever use and If you make a list of them on the way, your sorted..
    I know the terminal is pretty intimidating to look at when your starting off, but after a while you will prefer it to Desktop, I promise you..

The way I look at it: In Terminal commands, everything is written in stone so it’s far harder to mess up things than it is with the GUI.. I mean, with the terminal you can’t just go and twiddle around with the Network interfaces for example, you have to google the commands & read a little about them which in turn gives you a better understanding of your system and more knowledge when it comes to problem solving (& we all know that 90% of this hobby could go into the Problem solving category)..

But as so many people above have said, It's Horses for Courses & whatever meets your needs...

P.S. Using DOS years ago gives you a huge advantage over all the younger windows heads getting into this!!:feel_good:

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• hi lads got the server running on CCcam ubuntu 12.04, trying to connect to it using windows (my own pc) is giving me a headache
    down on top of the 1 i already have..permissions r a right pain, next setting up oscam/omnikey3121
    any help or pointers welcome..
    many thanks for the lads on this great forum, that got me this far TIA..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!