Cs Server Ping Times

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,977 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• I have read in many threads and have been told by some Gurus that a Cardsharing server with a low ping time is very good. But recently I have come across and connected to lots of variations to this rule while sharing. I have connected to a server with a ping time of 75ms but freezes all the time with bad pictures. Also I have once connected to servers with a ping time of 132 ms and had very good pictures with no freezing or minimal freezing. I wonder why these diffrerent ping times in servers. Any one have ideas why?

• The ping is just 1 factor in it.
    You have the efficiency of the other server/card.
    The number of hops2 your ECM is coming through.
    Also, the channel your watching can make a difference. ie. Sly requires very fast ECM's. Anything over 0.7 seconds and it'll freeze. Other sats i've watched have been quite happy with 1.5 second ECM's.

• Thanks a lot guys for that explanation. Now I know that there are other factors invoved in good quality reception picture signal than just the important ping times. Please what is excatly "fast ECM" ddaddy? I did not know that ECMS have times too. Explain?

• ECM is what decodes the signal. Your picture comes through the dish scrambled. Every second or 2 the signal needs an ECM code to unscramble it. Your box asks your card for the next ECM (or someone elses card through your server) about half a second in advance. If it hasn't had the correct response back, then the picture stops. So if your ECM time is a second or higher you get pauses on your picture. Most images let you view your ECM time by pressing OK twice.

Now some sats/programs/cards allow longer for ECM's, like I've watched foreign tv with 1.5second ECM's freeze free.

• my provider says it can turn off interleave on my connection to the exchange which will increase my ping time, but when they did it the connection kept dropping out. changing your account to a gamer profile will help if your provider offers a service. all depends what your provider prioritises on its network. Zen internet dont prioritise anything for example but the price tells you how they do it

failing that move house into the local bt exchange!

• exactly ,,ping times can vary if there are other networked pc?s , videoconsoles, etc , all using the same line..
    also the distance from the central..
    this is one of the main reasons I?m changing my adsl providor in the coming weeks to one using fibre optic cable ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!