Which is best? Vu+ vs Dreambox vs Amiko

There are 26 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 10,947 times. The last Post () by ekkostar.

• Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to this and I am looking to replace my BT Vision system with a dual / triple tuner satellite system with will allow me to Live watch TV in HD, internet access and a media player to play music and other media from my NAS. It would also be beneficial if the system would allow me to access it remotely - or from outside of my home network.

The systems I am looking at right now are the following

Vu+ Duo or Duo2
    Dreambox 800SE or 8000
    Amiko Alien 2

I would really appreciate it if people could give me a personalised reviews on any of the above systems OR recommend another system I haven't thought of

• I think the majority will say Vu stuff mate.....they are like the VW or receivers....safe and secure with bells and whistles to wet most appetites lol

Dreamboxes seem to be a good starting point for many dependant on which version

and the Amiko's seem like the Kia lol Everything the above do just cheaper!

With regards the Duo2 like Musogeek pointed out to me.....an alternative may be the New Gigablue!

Your spoilt for choice really which isn't a bad thing so do your research and choose wisely!

Enjoy!

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• In my opinion its Vu+ first, Then Dream then the Alien.

Both the Vu+ and Dream Multimedia boxes have had the images written specifically for them and the MIPS chipset that they use. Most of the plugins are also written specifically for MIPS based boxes.

The Alien 2 images have got a lot better in the last 12 months, but as most images and plugins have had to be reversed engineered to work with its SH4 chipset, there are some issues. As with any box it doesn't matter how good the receiver is if the support doesn't match.

Vu+ and Dream Multimedia receivers have a 1000 times better support than any Amiko box, so for me that makes the Amiko the underdog.

You cannot argue with my logic on this post as facts are facts.

Nano

• I have VU+ UNO , DUO & DM800 and must say i like the VU DUO the best m8.

happy shopping

jono

Regards

Jono

:wales::linuxsat3:
    Currently using VU+ Duo, VU+ Uno & DM800 all original don't do clones!

• m8, I would go for VU+

I've got a Duo and am happy with the support, and at the end of the day that is what makes a great receiver.

However whatever you do, stay away from clones, they are a pain in the gonads

• If you want the best it has to be Dreambox. Currently the DM7080HD is probably the best box on the market

And also the most expensive, DMM stuff can't be faulted but its too overpriced for what it is.

Nano

• I have a vu duo and its good but new images coming out with hd skins and xbmc included take up more ram and flash thn it has . this can be overcome but I would go for the Duo2.which are one of the new generation boxes

• And also the most expensive, DMM stuff can't be faulted but its too overpriced for what it is.

Nano

OP asked for the best not the cheapest or VFM. VU make decent boxes but they come second to Dreambox.

If he wants a Dreambox then the best at the moment is the DM7080HD. It's horses for courses when it comes to price as you are buying top end equipment. They maybe priced too dear for some but they're also quite 'reasonably' priced for a top end Dreambox.

Edited once, last by ekkostar ().

VU make decent boxes but they come second to Dreambox.

At the end of the day i would say thats a matter of opinion :trbtjrjq:

• 1. Dreambox
    2. VU

If you want the best it has to be Dreambox. Currently the DM7080HD is probably the best box on the market

To really make an informed judgment you would have to have owned and used all boxes concerned
    even then it's still just an opinion
    having owned Amiko Alien, DM500(x3), DM800, DM7000, DM8000
    Vu Duo(x3), Vu Duo2
    IMHO Dreambox used to be the ducks nuts but has been overtaken by Vu

• Had an Amiko which was my first enigma box and found it to be absolute rubbish. Now solo2 which is brilliant for me. Great support very fast and does what I want. Never had a dreambox so cannot comment, but from a non techy view I can't imagine what more it could do for me than the Solo

regards

• At the end of the day i would say thats a matter of opinion :trbtjrjq:

If opinion or cost came into it there are also many other manufacturers worthy of consideration. The DM7080HD is the best machine on the market. Since it's launch it's pretty much forced the Duo2 into a price dive and knocked it off the perch. The best always costs money, facts are facts.

The DM800HDSE has been a phenomenally successful machine. It's still relevant with a modest v2 revision and it's small form factor and internal HDD have endeared it to many. It's also spawned a whole clone industry all of it's own.

If price is an issue and the OP wants a top end machine then the Duo2 is in the mix. The lower models of the VU range are certainly off the mark and are a probably bit late to the party. The Solo2 was and still is a good machine but getting a bit long in the tooth. At current prices the Duo2 makes more sense than the Solo2.

Prices wise if you 'must' shop around a Duo2 can be had for £285.15 delivered with 24mths warranty from authorised German sellers. It will cost more in the UK because Germany is VU's main EU market. It all happens in Germany you see.

Edited 3 times, last by ekkostar ().

• A very good and well written argument on your behalf Ekkostar and i do see what you are saying, but at the end of the day i still think DMM have and always will price themselves out of most of the European and North American market, theres nothing that special about them as to why they are so expensive. Their appeal is mostly now only to die hard DMM fanatics, although if thats what they like who am i to argue.

I think the DM7080 is a brilliant bit of kit but I would still buy the Duo 2 over the DM7080 as i don't think the slightly higher specification of the DM7080 justifies the extra £300 over the price of the Duo2. That is what makes the Duo 2 a better box for me over the DM7080.

I suppose it depends on how much you are into the hobby at the end of the day. I gave up on the numbers game years ago after spending thousands on my PC, I just see it as a pointless endeavour now. As long as the kit i have does what i want it to i'm a fairly happy bunny.

Nano

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!