Vix 3.0 epg problem

There are 17 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,849 times. The last Post () by smokoe1.

• Hi, I am having a couple of epg issues just now and was wondering if anyone else is? When I first flashed that image I followed the instructions in vu+ tutorials to download the 7 day epg, at that point I wasn't getting epg for any channel, followed the instructions and got epg for everything, I noticed last night while watching discovery that my epg is ending tonight, nothing for sat, I done the same instructions and my 7 day for FTA channels are fine but still only Friday for sly channels, it is set to Dl at 4am, I checked this morning and no change, any ideas anyone? Thank you.

• have you checked the epg is saving to where you want it? Preferabley USB stick, check this, manually grab epg and reboot - see if this helps - also ensure you have up to date channel lists.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

I had it saved to media/hdd, what do u meen by manually grab and how do I no if my channel list is upto date?

As musogeek has pointed out ,,by saving it to media/usb you will save the hdd from forever spinning,
    to manually grab it could be either move the epg.dat file/folder to media/usb or to force download it to refresh it.
    if you are using a ready made bouquet settings such as catseye; go to the end of the list and it will tell you the date
    or go through TSpanel if you have it and you can see it in packages .

• Firstly it is much better to store your EPG data on a USB stick, a couple of reasons, if it is stored on HDD, then this increases power usage, as it will power down less as you are accessing it more frequently, and the opposite effect is if it is already powered down, then it takes time to wake up to display the EPG. using a USB flash will sort that out. You can manually grab your EPG rather than waiting for it to update as per timer by pressing the blue button the the remote and select CrossEPG downloader - should then go through a process of reading summeries, processing and loading, (which you will see working). If you have your epg set to grab OpenTV 28.2e, this should give you a full 7 day epg - where the internet based rytec only gives you 5, and can have more problems.

Rather than knowing if your channel list is up to date, you are better off doing updates every few days, to keep it up to date. If you are using the latest ViX then go to menu -setup - service searching - autobouquetsmaker - and you can schedule regular scans to keep it up to date without having to do it manually. Ensure you don't clash this with the epg update schedule.

• As musogeek has pointed out ,,by saving it to media/usb you will save the hdd from forever spinning,
    to manually grab it could be either move the epg.dat file/folder to media/usb or to force download it to refresh it.
    if you are using a ready made bouquet settings such as catseye; go to the end of the list and it will tell you the date
    or go through TSpanel if you have it and you can see it in packages .

no thats not quite correct.

EPG data once loaded is held in live memory in the same way as channel lists or bouquets, the only place not recommended to save the EPG to is the internal flash in case it corrupts as it will fill the flash in no time requiring the receiver to be reflashed.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• Firstly it is much better to store your EPG data on a USB stick, a couple of reasons, if it is stored on HDD, then this increases power usage, as it will power down less as you are accessing it more frequently, and the opposite effect is if it is already powered down, then it takes time to wake up to display the EPG. using a USB flash will sort that out. You can manually grab your EPG rather than waiting for it to update as per timer by pressing the blue button the the remote and select CrossEPG downloader - should then go through a process of reading summeries, processing and loading, (which you will see working). If you have your epg set to grab OpenTV 28.2e, this should give you a full 7 day epg - where the internet based rytec only gives you 5, and can have more problems.

Rather than knowing if your channel list is up to date, you are better off doing updates every few days, to keep it up to date. If you are using the latest ViX then go to menu -setup - service searching - autobouquetsmaker - and you can schedule regular scans to keep it up to date without having to do it manually. Ensure you don't clash this with the epg update schedule.

as per my reply above, once the EPG data is initially loaded ( at bootup time ), it is then held in live memory regardless of where the EPG.dat file is saved to. personally i would recommend the HDD as the best location for EPG data with the USB a close second, as the HDD will never spin up no matter how much you draw upon the EPG via daily use.

• I had it saved to media/hdd, what do u meen by manually grab and how do I no if my channel list is upto date?

keep the EPG saved to the HDD, this is by far the best possible location for it, however it may be prudent to delete the existing EPG.dat file incase of corruption then re-download it. note that you must first kill enigma via a telnet session before deleting the EPG.dat file because as its held in live memory it will be re-generated from the existing data held in enigmas memory.

• i had similar issue with a bh image 1.7.9 on my solo...just kept reverting back to internal flash....jumped ship and went to vix....and as i type it has crashed, started to update epg as set by the time.....when "merging XEPGDB".....its seems to have crashed,,,"VIX" logo spinning very slowly.....picture frozen,,,,,,suppose to be saving to usb....

• How many sources are you using for the EPG and how exactly is it setup ?, remember that the EPG is a very resource hungry application especially when used with low memory receivers such as the solo and Duo.

• im using a usb formatted to fat32, ive even used the device manager to format the usb..set it to download to media/usb....its mounted...using cross epg configured to download once a day at a specifiv time...im using rytec provider..xepgd provider..ive ticked the two settings in the list something like rytec uk providers....rytec providers are updated.....it does work fine for a few days to usb...but after about 3 or 4 days....it just reverts back to internal flash..

• personally i dont use rytek i use CrossEPG with the OpenTV sources for 28.2 east and have never had a problem with that setup in nearly 2 years with 6 different receivers.

• ill try that opentv providers 28.2.....but dont like the fact that it switches to a radio station when downloading epg.....but if it works ill try that..

• dont like the fact that it switches to a radio station when downloading epg....

well at risk of inviting the trolls that lurk in these here parts, thats something thats currently being looked into, also why not just set the download to a time when your not going to be watching tv like early in the morning.

• as per my reply above, once the EPG data is initially loaded ( at bootup time ), it is then held in live memory regardless of where the EPG.dat file is saved to. personally i would recommend the HDD as the best location for EPG data with the USB a close second, as the HDD will never spin up no matter how much you draw upon the EPG via daily use.

Forgive my ignorance on that, you are correct, but can't tell the difference between USB and HDD so I don't see an advantage either way. Maybe I was getting confused with picons, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that one too! I like being wrong sometimes, it is all part of learning:lol:

• Forgive my ignorance on that, you are correct, but can't tell the difference between USB and HDD so I don't see an advantage either way. Maybe I was getting confused with picons, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that one too! I like being wrong sometimes, it is all part of learning

The EPG as i pointed out is only read from or written to at bootup and shutdown, once it's up and running it is held in live memory so it's fine to save the EPG to any where but the internal flash. picons on the other hand are accessed constantly during channel changes and EPG searches etc and therefore it is not advised to use a HDD to store these as the HDD would never sleep causing upto a 4 or 5 second zap time, if you have enough space on the internal flash for picons it's perfectly safe and highly recommended to use this location for them.

• I've always read that a USB key was the best place for egp.dat?? I'd be happy to ditch my USB key because it regularly interferes with reboots from my VU Duo

• I have to re visit this thread :( since my previous epg problems I reflashed the image on by box started again, went to setting, system, epg, cross epg download on tune was set to no, 4am yes and yes, I changed Dl on tune to yes, saved, selected 28.2 provider and yellow to download, this gave me.a 7 day epg, auto updated for a week but now my epg ends on Monday tried to force Dl again got the starting download, reading channels etc etc but epg is still ending on Monday, can anyone think of a reason it is faint after a week or recomend another epg I can use? Thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!