Anyone tried Openbox HD?

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,887 times. The last Post () by alibaba1802.

• Anyone tried one out or know anything about them?

Got a mate interested in getting in the sat scene & read bits about them but cant find any reliable or detailed review/write up on them.

• Official Post

Have read a few reviews and for the price of them (?100 delivered) they are exellent value for money. There are a few different versions of it ,I have found it to be called solomend/sathawk/skybox/openbox to name but a few. Seems simillar to spiderbox working as cccam client only, cannot ftp into box all is done via usb stick and remote also there is no decent epg available at the moment anyway.
    Stll good value for ?100 and will no doubt sell loads.

• Hmm, sounds like it'd be better as a second box rather than a first.

Think I'll advise to spend a few extra quid & get a dm800, much more scope with that, & at least I can help him with first hand experience.

• Official Post

Hmm, sounds like it'd be better as a second box rather than a first.

Think I'll advise to spend a few extra quid & get a dm800, much more scope with that, & at least I can help him with first hand experience.

DM800 clones seem to have alot of problems, mainly tuner and overheating have a look at the Technomate 800 ( ?250 ), between the two of them this would be my choice.

Full HDTV (1080p) and digital satellite Linux receiver, with support for Enigma 2. PVR recording via SATA 2.5" HDD, USB or e-SATA HDD.

Features unlimited channel capacity, card reader, Ethernet port and VFD front display.

Specifications
    - Enigma 2 Linux System
    - 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p & 576i High-Definition
    - 1 x DVB-S/S2 Satellite HD Tuner
    - 320 MHz MIPS Processor
    - 64 MByte NAND Flash & 256 MByte DDRAM
    - Internal SATA for internal 2.5" HDD
    - MPEG-2, MPEG-4 & H.264
    - Unlimited Channel Memory
    - SD to HD Hardware Upscaler
    - 1x Smart Card Reader
    - 2x USB Ports (for PVR, MP3, JPEG, Software Upgrade and more)
    - e-SATA
    - Ethernet Port
    - HDMI & Component Output
    - RF Modulator
    - 2 x Scarts
    - VFD Display
    - 1W Standby
    - Optional WiFi module
    - File formats supported: AVI, MKV, RM, MP4, Mov, 3gp, MPG, PS, vob, dat, ts, m2ts, flv, asf, wmv and wma
    - Supported video codecs: MPEG2/4, H.264, H.263, WMV9, VC-1, Divx/Xvid and Real video
    - Supported audio codecs: MP3, AC3, AAC, MP2, PCM, WMA and Real audio

• They seem very good value...don't expect the functionality of a linux/enigma box though
    As said earlier...maybe a second box ;)

• I'm using an S9 just now and I can say it's a great wee box handles cccam very well also has a picture quality around the same as my DM800, it is linux but it's a closed source version so don't expect it to sing and dance like a linux box..... it won't. Updates are frequent but it does suffer from a 5000 channel memory and the lack of a full sat list (you have to manually input sats at the outer edge of your arc) so lots of editing and trimming of channel lists.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!