Tutorial - Clean, Maintain & Protect Windows PC using Free Software

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 969 times. The last Post () by BaccHus25.

• Tips to keep Windows running as fast and smoothly as possible using only FREE Software
    NOTE: This is a work in progress, Not yet complete

I have been repairing PC's & Laptops for as long as I remember and I have built up quiet a decent toolbox of tips and tricks over the years..
    This thread will be used to share those tips and tricks and help other users to get back in control of their windows machine..
    We will be starting off with the very basic stuff, Anti-virus, Anti-Malware, Registry / System cleaners, Driver Updaters etc. etc. and then moving onto the not so basic stuff over the coming weeks..

1: Apps you will need to protect & clean your Windows system
    ----Virus Protection
    --------Rootkit Remover
    --------AVG Free Antivirus
    ------------Configuring & using AVG Free Antivirus
    --------Online Virus Scanner
    ----Malware Protection
    --------Malwarebytes
    ------------Configuring & using Malwarebytes
    ----System Cleaning (Temp Files, Registry, Browser Cache etc..)
    --------CCleaner
    ------------Configuring, using and task scheduling CCleaner
    --------System file Scanner (sfc)
    2: Essential Driver updates
    ----Chipset Drivers
    --------Intel Drivers
    --------AMD Drivers
    ----System Drivers
    --------Windows Update
    3: Administration Tools & Tweaks
    ----Tools
    --------Autoruns
    ----Tweaks
    --------Run Elevated Cmd in Folder from the Right click menu
    --------Take Ownership of a File/Folder from the Right click menu
    4: Suggested Repair tools that no techie should be without
    ----Boot ISO's (Use with caution, These Boot ISO's contain all the tools to destroy a system if not used correctly)
    --------Parted magic
    --------hbcd-15.1-Restored-V2.0-dvd-proteus

1: Apps you will need to protect & clean your Windows system

Virus Protection

Rootkit Remover

>>> Download TDSSKiller <<<
    If your Anti-Virus has been out of date for a long time or worse again, you never had Anti-Virus Protection installed, the chances are that your computer has been infected by a rootkit that will hide its activities from your Anti-Virus Software. It would be advisable to run this rootkit Killer before installing the suggested Free Anti-Virus solution. Here is a brief explanation of a rootkit infection (pretty much cut and pasted from the web).

A rootkit is a stealthy type of software, often malicious, designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enable continued privileged access to a computer. Once the rootkit is installed, it becomes possible to hide the intrusion and to maintain privileged access. The key is the root/Administrator access. Full control over a system means that existing software can be modified, including software that might otherwise be used to detect or circumvent (i.e. Anti-Virus Software).

AVG Free Antivirus

>>> Download AVG Free (Offline Installer) <<<
    AVG will try to take over a lot of Browser setting & Hijack your homepage so follow these install notes (Mainly Step's 3,4,5,6):
    1 Start the Install by double clicking the downloaded AVG-Free installer, Click next when you select your Language
    2 Click Accept to License Agreement
    3 Select custom install & click next
    4 De-Select AVG "Add-Ons, Additional installed Language, Web Browsing" leaving only e-mail & identity protection and clink Next
    5 De-Select "Use the AVG Toolbar to improve my internet protection" and click next to install AVG
    6 De-Select "I want to help AVG Inprove its products..." & click finish.

Configuring & using AVG Free Antivirus
    Always allow AVG to update its virus definitions
    Be carefull not to upgrade to the paid version (AVG-Free has a few buttons to upgrade to Paid Version)
    If you do upgrade accidentally, go to programs & Features, click on uninstall and it will give you an option to revert back to free version
    If you want to remove a Drive / Folder or File from AVG, Just go to Options / Advanced Settings / Exceptions / Add Exception
    If you want to Shedule a Scan, Just go to Options / Advanced Settings / Scheduled Scan
    If you need to (Temporarily) Disable AVG because it is blocking a File you know is safe, just right click on the AVG Icon in the system tray & click Temporarily Disable AVG Protection

Online Virus Scanner
    If you ever need a second opinion on a file that you are not sure about, just use any or all of these Online Virus scanners

Jotti's malware scan
    Virustotal
    Anubis: Analyzing Unknown Binaries

Malware Protection

Malwarebytes

>>> Download Malwarebytes <<<
    Malwarebytes will try to install the Pro Paid for version Trial so follow install notes (Mainly Step 9):
    1 Start the Install by double clicking the downloaded malwarebytes installer, Click OK when you select your Language
    2 Click Next on the Setup Screen, Accept to License Agreement
    3 Select "I accept the Agreement" and click next
    4 Click next "When you are ready to continue with setup" screen
    5 Click next to install to default location at "Set destination Folder" Screen
    6 Click next to "Select Start Menu Folder" Screen
    7 Click next to "Create a Desktop Icon"
    8 Click Install
    9 De-Select "Enable Free Trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro" and click Finish
    Exit the program, This program only needs to be run if you think you are infected with Malware

Configuring & using Malwarebytes
    Before you run Malware bytes, Allways run CCleaner to delete temporary files, This will speed up Malwarebytes Scan
    When you start Malwarebytes, allow it to update its malware database & Click OK (Sometimes this involves Reinstall of the app so remember Step 9 above)
    If (like me) you need to add exceptions for the scan go to, Ignore list and add the Drive / Folder or File to the list.
    Always run "Perform Full Scan" if you think you are infected.
    When the Scan completes (Usually 30 mins - 1 hour) allow Malwarebytes to remove all infections, this could require a restart.

System Cleaning (Temp Files, Registry, Browser Cache etc..)

CCleaner

>>> Download CCleaner <<<
    CCleaner will try to install Browsers & Toolbars so follow install notes (Mainly Step 4):
    1 Start the Install by double clicking the downloaded ccleaner installer, Click OK when you select your Language
    2 Select your Language & Click Next.
    3 Click next on install options & Wait for next screen!
    4 De-Select "Install Google Chrome as my Default browser" & "Also install Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer" and click next
    5 De-Select "View release notes" and click Finish

Configuring, using and task scheduling CCleaner
    When you start ccleaner for the first time you will be asked if you want to use smart cookie scanning, this is OK to accept or you can un-tick and get ccleaner to remove all cookie data
    In the main Screen you have 4 Options
    1..Cleaner
    2..Registry
    3..Tools
    4..Options

1..Cleaner:
    If you are happy with all default settings, Just click Run Cleaner
    2..Registry:

System file Scanner (sfc)

After you have removed all malware & Virii, it is a good idea to scan the protected system files for corruption.
    To do this, you need to be logged into an account with administrator privileges.
    run the command prompt and type this command:

Code
    sfc /scannow

This will start the system file checker immediately and restore any damaged or missing system files. This scan could take an hour or more.

2: Essential Driver updates

Update Intel Drivers

Intel® Driver Update Utility

Update AMD Drivers

AMD® Driver Autodetect

3: Administration Tools & Tweaks

Tools

Autoruns

>>> Download Autoruns <<<
    This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them

Tweaks

Run Elevated Cmd in Folder from the Right click menu
    Add-Elevated cmd to folder.rar

This handy reg tweak adds an option to the right click menu that allows you to run command prompt as administrator from any folder

Take Ownership of a File/Folder from the Right click menu

Use this reg setting to take ownership of files and folders, this Tweak will give you the option to take ownership when you right click on a file or folder or drive.
    This can be very handy after (for example) a corrupted Windows update that has left locked folders on your HDD, just take ownership of them and delete them..

Download for XP
    Add-Take-Ownership-Option WinXP.rar

Download for Win7
    Add-Take-Ownership-Option Win7.rar

4: Suggested Repair tools that no techie should be without

Boot ISO's

Parted magic
    >>> Download Parted Magic <<<
    Parted magic is a self booting Operating System..
    My main use for Parted Magic is restoring damaged or deleted partition tables but there are hundreds of other great tools also included..

hbcd-15.1-Restored-V2.0-dvd-proteus (Not so free, you will have to download this from a torrent or usenet app)
    This is my most used Toolset.. It can run as a self booting OS containing all the tools you will ever need in a very user friendly Mini Windows XP environment.
    There are way to many tools to mention now but I will go into more detail at a later stage.

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

when it comes to antivirus I love to use eset Nod 32 antivirus,i have never tried AVG
    can i still use my eset?
    anyway what is so special about AVG to other antivirus firmwires

You can use whatever AV you want m8, I have used them all and I found AVG to be more reliable.
    When machines come back to me AVG usually has done its job for the year or whatever where as most of the others have been compromised in some way over the time, Paid AntiVirus included..
    On the down side AVG can have a few more false detections than other AV Software, but for normal users, that is not a problem..

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Hi Thatfellow

I wonder if you can help with Window 7 Media Player sharing centre. I had to Hugo disable it from startup as it was using up physical memory of my lap top to 98% a d making it virtually unusable.

I don't particularly need it for anything at the moment but by disabling it still let use VLC player for streaming and is it going to interfere anyway with FTP it Telnet etc?

VU+ SOLO2, VIX(latest image) Technomate TM-2600 Super Motor(28.2E - 30W), Triax Dish 1.1m.

• Please Read the rules here
    Forum Rules

Then make an Introduction as required by Rule <1> here
    Introductions

I don't use Media Player sharing centre but I cant see how disabling the service could interfere with FTP or Telnet

• Thanks mate,
    Posted it short message in introduction now

VU+ SOLO2, VIX(latest image) Technomate TM-2600 Super Motor(28.2E - 30W), Triax Dish 1.1m.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!