Setanta to net deal with BT to offer more live Premier League games in Ireland

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,318 times. The last Post () by deerhunter290378.

• Official Post

[h=2]Irish broadcaster will be able to offer 71 live English soccer games and other sports[/h]

Irish pay TV broadcaster Setanta Sports is in advanced discussions with BT to offer the UK telco’s new sports channels as part of a bundled offering in Ireland.

This is a potentially transformation deal for the Dublin-based company, owned by entrepreneur Mickey O’Rourke, as it will give Setanta access to BT’s 38 live English Premier League matches and a portfolio of other top sport coverage.

Details of the agreement are expected to be formally announced on Monday, with former England striker Michael Owen and former English rugby international Austin Healey, both BT commentators, travelling to Dublin for the launch.

Setanta is expected to offer a bundle of five channels – Setanta Ireland, Premier Sports (a UK channel operated by O’Rourke), BT Sports 1 and 2 and the ESPN channel. This will give Setanta the potential to go head- to-head with *** Sports for subscribers on the various pay TV platforms available here – satellite, UPC and Eircom.

It remains to be seen how much Setanta will charge for this bundle. It currently costs up to €17 a month to subscribe to its existing channels – Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1.

Setanta recently retained the rights to show 33 live English Premier League games on Saturdays in the Republic for another three seasons. With BT’s rights, it will now be able to offer 71 live Premier League matches each season to subscribers.

BT has launched the biggest challenge yet to ***’s 20-year dominance of live English Premier League soccer by paying £738 million to secure live rights for three years, starting from August. This includes 18 of the “top pick” matches, which for the first time will not all be with *** Sports.

BT is offering its sports channels for free to its broadband customers and claims that customers who take ***’s broadband and sports offerings could save about £100 a year by switching. Its focus is squarely on the UK market, which is why it has teamed up with Setanta in Ireland to offer its rights here.

BT Sport will also offer live soccer from Germany, Italy and France, the FA Cup in England, the Scottish Premier League, and the UEFA Europa League.

Its portfolio also includes live Aviva Premiership rugby from England, top women’s tennis, and MotoGP from 2014.

Setanta was the first meaningful challenger to *** in the UK when it won the right to show 46 English Premier League matches for three years from the 2007-08 season.

It added other expensive rights to the mix but the UK business collapsed in 2009 under the weight of its debts.

The Irish business was rescued by Mr O’Rourke and his long-time business partners, Leonard Ryan and Mark O’Meara, and entertainment promoter Denis Desmond. Mr O’Rourke has since taken sole ownership of the business.

• I was just looking for myself, but for those wanting to know cost of Setanta, although this would require you know someone in ireland who
    s address you could use to subscribe from.

€169.90 annually + €9.99 connection fee (12 Months for the price of 10) = £152.91
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my question, hypothetically speaking of course :) if someone ordered multi room with their subscription. Would it be possible to use these cards, with Setanta on at two different addresses or must they be on same IP?

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my question, hypothetically speaking of course :) if someone ordered multi room with their subscription. Would it be possible to use these cards, with Setanta on at two different addresses or must they be on same IP?

There is no call back on Setanta multiroom subs so yes you can use them at different addresses.
    Its 1.49 euro per month extra for a multiroom Setanta sub .

I currently pay Setanta 8.99 per month, instead of 16.99 ,have paid that for the last few years .I have free multiroom too (special offer).
    I just threaten to cancel every 3 months .
    The new price is expected to be at least 20 euro from August 1st.

Setanta is expected to offer a bundle of five channels – Setanta Ireland, Premier Sports (a UK channel operated by O’Rourke), BT Sports 1 and 2 and the ESPN channel.

Very interesting and exciting news.. can you get a stand alone setanta card(s) or is it just added to your slycard?

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• I think you can get it separately the cheapest ive seen is 300 euro`s for a 12 month sub

• If they can keep the price below €20 then they have a winner, anything above that then I cant see them winning over many subscribers!

My big question is how ill *** approach this, talk is that Subs are going up in Sept and Irish viewers will have lost the ESPN package that was included for free to make up the price difference in UK and irish subs.

talk is that Subs are going up in Sept and Irish viewers will have lost the ESPN package that was included for free to make up the price difference in UK and irish subs.

If the price goes up, I'm dumping my card, regardless of AntiCS measures. Its already the most overpriced card on the market. 600 odd channels that nobody wants and a handful of half decent channels.. If anything, the sub should be going down in price after the loss of some premiership rights..

I was just on to setanta, price wont be set till next month. You don't need to be a sly customer, as long as you have a card. You will also get the HD channels for BT Sports & ESPN.. From what I was told, they have a completely independent system for validating & updating cards. I am going to add the sub to a spare basic card and dump the main card. that would be a nice local, Setanta pack, Sly IT & jsc all for less than slyUK

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• If the price goes up, I'm dumping my card, regardless of AntiCS measures. Its already the most overpriced card on the market. 600 odd channels that nobody wants and a handful of half decent channels.. If anything, the sub should be going down in price after the loss of some premiership rights..

The only way the price will be going is up I'm afraid.
    Sly lost their heads when bidding for the rights thinking Al Jazeera were going to bid .
    They ended up paying an extra 70% over the previous rights deal.
    I cant see them recouping that amount ,this will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

• If the price goes up, I'm dumping my card, regardless of AntiCS measures. Its already the most overpriced card on the market. 600 odd channels that nobody wants and a handful of half decent channels.. If anything, the sub should be going down in price after the loss of some premiership rights..

I was just on to setanta, price wont be set till next month. You don't need to be a sly customer, as long as you have a card. You will also get the HD channels for BT Sports & ESPN.. From what I was told, they have a completely independent system for validating & updating cards. I am going to add the sub to a spare basic card and dump the main card. that would be a nice local, Setanta pack, Sly IT & jsc all for less than slyUK

can you do mine for me please :-)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!