How to send message on Vu+ for other friends

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,161 times. The last Post () by stevejo.

• Hi guys, out of pure curiosity i was wondering if you could send messages to other friends STB boxes like you can send message to your own box through webinterface. Then the messages is coming on their TV screen, does anybody know if that's possible ? (see picture also).

de493da21e4.jpg

• This would need you to be able to access webif for every box to be able to do this ,an open port for every box not a safe option ,youlll be best sending them an email and using this function in your own home to annoy the wife while she is watching tv :)

• Yes that's maybe right but I only have 4 boxes that I want to do this on, but I was just wondering HOW TO DO IT ? ...my guess is open webif port in friends router, get he's external IP address...then type he's Ip like: xxx.xx.xx.xxx:webifport and type message in messages webif..am I right you think?? :)

• Official Post

Yes that's maybe right but I only have 4 boxes that I want to do this on, but I was just wondering HOW TO DO IT ? ...my guess is open webif port in friends router, get he's external IP address...then type he's Ip like: xxx.xx.xx.xxx:webifport and type message in messages webif..am I right you think?? :)

That is exactly how you would do it buddy.. Make sure you set a strong password on their receiver and change default ports.

• Hi guys, out of pure curiosity i was wondering if you could send messages to other friends STB boxes like you can send message to your own box through webinterface. Then the messages is coming on their TV screen, does anybody know if that's possible ? (see picture also).

de493da21e4.jpg

Not sure if you are actually just curious or wanting to do this but i see no real gain in this unless you want to be the BigIAm sending pointless messages to your friends tv,s.

Lots of security issues with this especially when you do not know what you are doing so i would suggest you look at 3 main factors security wise.

1: As pointed out by Master G make sure your friends boxes have the default telnet password changed to something only yourself/and your friends know.
    2: Change default webif port which is 80 to something much higher like (41080) Example only /////this new webif port will be what you want to open on your friends routers.
    3: In the webif plugin change (Enable Http Authentication) to /yes/ this is normally set to no.

MK

• I slightly disagree MeeRcat, I have the kids (3) on share, If i restart the box for any reason it would be massively easier to send a message to say the share will be off for 15 mins, at the moment they are resetting there own boxes when the freeze occurs, even though it was caused by me. but i do take on board the security issue.

junger

• I slightly disagree MeeRcat, I have the kids (3) on share, If i restart the box for any reason it would be massively easier to send a message to say the share will be off for 15 mins, at the moment they are resetting there own boxes when the freeze occurs, even though it was caused by me. but i do take on board the security issue.

junger

it doesn´t take 15 minutes for an e2 stb to restart, it doesnt even take 5,,
    and with all the other methods of messaging,etc ,,there really is no need but I do agree it would be an interesting investigation ..
    And finally remember you are not just putting your own server at risk ,but of all your peers......

• I just dont see the point in it for that even junger ,if you are running a server all family/peers know if its off its being rebooted/upgraded ,if its freezing to let you know ,no matter what your doing its seldom more than 5 mins but to have the need to message each box ,you need to look at the ip load it up login send the message , do the next one send the message and so on , by this time you are already back online whats the point , and you need all the networking/port forwarding done for every house , its a good laugh to sent a message to the tv from the laptop to the wife watching tv telling her to get them off shes on next , thats about all ,unless you want to have delusions of grandeur sending messages like the server god pmsl

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!