Are USB Tuners any good for VU+ Duo 2?

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,957 times. The last Post () by Tururu.

• Hi, I'm urgently trying to get MotorsTV on Freeview which is a new channel.

I've already got 2 twin DVB-S2 tuners installed for freesat. I'd like to also add a USB DVB-T or DVB-T2 tuner.

Are USB tuners as reliable as normal tuners? Any reason not to get a USB tuner?

Am I able to record some channels on Freesat and another on Freeview on the same box? How does the box know what tuner to use (Freesat or Freeview?)

Or should I just get a cheap 2nd box just for recording Freeview? Any suggestions?

Can anyone help please. Thanks

• Official Post

Hi mate, not speaking from personal experience, just feeding back what i have read on various sites around the web, they seem to be a little bit hit and miss, some of them are pretty slow at clearing the channels and need constant rebooting of the receiver, yet a guy on the official VU discussion forums was swearing by an Hauppauge usb tuner

I think it's very much down to having the right drivers in place for the tuner itself

Hopefully someone with first hand experience will post on this thread, it's something that has interested me in the past also

• Thanks but it doesn't seem to be sold anywhere anymore.

Could someone please clarify this because there's no point in me looking for a tuner if it won't work: Am I able to record some channels on Freesat and another on Freeview on the same box? How does the box know what tuner to use (Freesat or Freeview?) when adding a recording?

Can anyone please recommend a tuner that works without issues that can still be bought new?

• Yes thanks. Couldn't find anything concrete via search. It's a bit much for me to look through all those products you suggested as it would take ages. Can someone suggest a tuner that worked for them please?

What about the Sundtek MediaTV Digital Home USB Tuner Cable?

• what uou need is the sony play tv gadget, it gives you a dual tuner, look on ebay and works perfect with the vu+ all you need is to downloaod the driver. I have 2 of them and ace. To record you use the timer facility, the box knows, so with the sony you can record a lot of freeview channels, and with the 2 sat tuners you can record a lot more, it goes by the transponders so say bbc1 is on same transponder for channel 4 you could record both at same time and if itv3 was on same you could record as well, the options are endless.

• The PlayTV Tuner (PS3) is a good option.
    It is a USB-TDT dual (2 x SCEH-0036), you can tune to watch / record two channels without problems.
    Second hand 25 €uros, in the UK you have Ebay for 30-45 €uros, new 80 €uros +/-.

Simultaneous recordings ?? up to 16 channels with 4 satellite tuner you have (looking right channels).
    Normally about 8 plus 2 DTT.

Have 4 antennas ?? o 1 universal LNB 4xoutputs.? settings changes, with these more limited band/polarity single cable, but no problems 8-9 recordings.

Being in UK will not have trouble Freesat, from Madrid (spain) some channels are more affected by rain these days and I'm just more signal, but some movie/music recorded.

Normally DTT channels send your schedule, if you spend / 1 minute tune the channel with an automatic program that runs every day, you will have the similar satellite EPG for schedules, it is very comfortable.

Note.- Black Hole 2.0.6 to 2.1.0 will not have problems with the driver.
    With OpenSPA and the latest version 3.2 also OK, with older versions you will have to have Flash and BH OpenSPA in multiboot.

Sorry translations.
    ----------------------
    El sintonizador de la playTV (PS3) es una buena opcion.
    Es un USB-TDT doble (2 x sceh-0036), podras sintonizar ver/grabar 2 canales sin problemas.
    De segunda mano 25€, en Ebay UK los tienes por 30-45€uros, nuevos 80€uros +/-.

Grabaciones simultaneas?? hasta 16 canales con los 4 tuner de satelite que tienes (buscando bien los canales).
    Normalmente unas 8, mas 2 de TDT.

Tienes 4 antenas?? ó 1 LNB de 4 salidas universales.? la configuracion cambia, con un solo cable estas mas limitado a banda/polaridad, pero sin problemas 8-9 grabaciones.

Estando en UK no tendras problemas para Freesat, desde MAdrid (spain) algunos canales son mas afectados por la lluvia de estos dias y voy mas justo de señal, pero algunas pelicula/musica grabo.

Normalmente los canales de TDT mandan la programacion, si pasas/sintonizas 1 minuto el canal con un programa automatico que se ejecute todos los dias, tendras el EPG similar al satelite para realizar las programaciones, es muy comodo.

Nota.- En Black Hole 2.0.6 a 2.1.0 no tendras problemas con los driver.
    Con OpenSPA y la ultima version 3.2 OK tambien, con versiones inferiores tendras que tener BH en Flash y OpenSPA en multiboot.

Edited once, last by Tururu ().

VU+ DUO 2 PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!