Easy box for all the family?

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 680 times. The last Post () by codar.

• Hello,

It seems a simple question but hours of research have left my head swimming.
    All I need is a twin tuner box for Freesat in the UK. It must have big bold, easy to follow settings, no Linux-speak as far as the user is concerned, my mum is 74 and mounting hard drives in Linux won't interest her! And if possible it would be nice to play media files from mapped network drives.

A branded Freesat box (Humax or whatever) won't do as I want to keep recordings on a PC.

I have an Amiko Alien2 but I can't find a reliable E2 image that does any of the above well. The spark OS is closer but is still odd, and there's the ludicrous splitting at 2Gb....

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy.

• I suggest you look at the e2 special offers the sponsor has..
    Once you set up the box first time ,there is little to be changed.
    Unless perhaps an image upgrade ,maintaining your own personal configurations..
    your mum won´t have to anything else except press the same buttons as on any normal remote control..
    you control the rest for her and yuo could do some of it from your own home..

• You already have an amigo Alien 2, any e2 receiver is going to take some setting (plugins and all), unless you find someone who has released a backup that meets your requirements perfectly.

Id suggest spending sometime getting used to Alien 2, then if you decide its still not you want, the knowledge of the plugins and images you have gained will help you with any alternative receiver.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• Thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

OK, I will be a bit more pateint with the Alien 2. Can anyone suggest a simple, basic image that might fit the bill?
    I don't know enough about this yet to understand what ATV / HDMU etc actually means. I will keep reading the forum and try to learn this stuff but any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I don't know enough about this yet to understand what ATV / HDMU etc actually means

A Few Basics:
    Open-ATV , Open-PLI , HDMU , Egami, Open-VIX etc, are all enigma images.
    They are all linux based, but differ sightly in look , support , menus etc.
    Your alien also has another operating system onboard called spark but has less support than enigma images
    Enigma2 (E2) images have been originally written for receivers with broadcom mips processors.
    The alien amiko 2 you have runs on a different processor (SH4 chipset i think) so some images above have been modified to run with that particular processor which in turn causes stability issues.
    Some run ok with some plugins and others run ok with different plugins.
    To decide which is best for you, find out exactly which plugins you require and have a look here:
    http://linuxsat-support.com/forumdisplay.php?f=477
    to see if any one fits your requirements.
    Then it just a case of trying them out.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!