Choosing between vix and blackhole

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,024 times. The last Post () by abu baniaz.

• Hey guys hope everyone is well.

So I'm looking to install either open vix or blackhole. I've played about with both.

I really really like the interface and channel info and surfing on open vix. I found blackhole very complicated, with all these extra settings options that I have no clue about, like teleportation and some other stuff and I'm not too fond on the channel info view, when you press ok and the channel info comes up, it's not as good as open vix IMO, open vix pressing ok once shows channel, second is shows synopsis of show which I really really like. Also what's an oe image?

I've read so many people swear by blackhole. I'm just really looking for some guidance about pros and cons of each.

Also if I want to record one show and watch another do I need 2 tuners? On the pictures for some of these box's they say they have one tuner but there's 2 plugs for 2 cables?

I'm just wondering however, they're satellite box's, you watch TV on them and record, why are there so many things out there? What more can these box's do? I feel like I won't be making the full use out of them. When it comes to movies I have a chromecast which does all the streaming stuff for me really.

I've also seen the sponser ad on the site and I'm very interested in octomate and the technomate and maybe vu+ if I can afford it.

Mod note : due to my issues I was experiencing with the vu+ clone, I returned it and I am no longer asking support for it. I'm looking to purchase an original or a technomate or an octo... Something, can't remember the name of hand.

Edited once, last by Thedan55 ().

• I had the same dilemma. Black hole or Vix. It's still hard to make a solid choice. I went with Vix in the end a haven't looked back.

Flip a coin. The coin won't need to decide....... 99% of the time you will make your own choice while the coin is in the air. Worked for me anyway.

• Oh my days I used that technique constantly.

But I'd like to know what done of these settings are in blackhole, they look really interesting is there a wiki or something where I can read up on? I probably will end up with vix

• ok, brilliant, im on open vix Apollo and im so loving this system!!!! a few questions though.

1.when you press ok and ok again it gives you the synopsis of whatever you're watching, i want to change the font so that to make it easier to read, it a bit small for me

2. what plugins does everyone recommend? interesting to see what this baby can do.

3. im running original vu uno, its got 2 feed ports. can i record one channel and watch another???

4. is using a 32gb usb drive for recording a little and storing epg data etc ok???

5. i make backups via the ix menu right? it cant be on a normal usb drive rigt? it has to be initialised by the box to be usable right?

Edited 2 times, last by Thedan55 ().

• As already mentioned, try different images to find your own personal choice.
    1- somewhere in menu-setup- system- custom- there might be an option ...
    2-Plugins- check the backups section for VU+ boxes not just the UNO and you will notice a pattern of fav choices.
    3- yes you can.
    4- yes, it is.

• Thanks for the help. I'm going to stick with vix. It's just awesome. I just can't figure out how to change the font on the synopses.

• Vix is AWESOME!! Thank you to everyone that helped me get here, you're all awesome!! I'm liking the vu+ duo much I may give my uno to my brother and get a solo2.

Last thing. I mentioned above that when pressing ok on a channel twice brings up the synopsis of the program, I want to change the font to make it easier to read. I've gone through the settings over and over and just can't seem to figure out how to make it bigger.

Is it even possible? I've changed the size of the font while browsing the channel list, but I just can't figure this one out.

• That is called infobar EPG.

Menu > Setup > System > EPG > Inforbar EPG settings > Event font size

I did that, it's still the same size!?!? :eek:

Is there a way for me to record one channel and watch another? The uno has to sat plugs, one says in and the other says loop, what's that second plug for?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!