WeTek or Medi@link or anything else

There are 42 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,533 times. The last Post () by kabise.

• We've been looking for this but there's currently nothing out there that will do everything.

I know Stef this is only what I see future wise , the wetek is going to be for me to play with but will end up in my 9 yo sons room so he can game a bit and still get tv ,and do all else kids do with android .For him itll be great , I still like a proper satellite box and the wife would divorce my if i told her we are now using a wetek , it is as state already not a replacement for a satellite box but a gizmo that will do the job , great for the younger crew and single guys ,but in time i think things will change

• The way I see it is, at the moment the wetek is more a multimedia box with added functionality of having satellite tuners. Doing multimedia best.

An enigma box is the other way about. Primarily a satellite receiver and doing those functions best. Its also has multimedia capabilities, these not being its priority.

So decide accordingly. Or even better buy both.

• the joys of debate, but things like this make for better products and firmware on both sides of the fence and cant be bad for the future of sat,cable iptv or what ever is next.
    personnaly though i think android is the way to go and you cant argue with the price of the box,yep and when i get one if its crap ill say so,but then what do i know iv had an alien2 since day one. lol
    Have a nice day

• Please feel free to post screenshots of 7 DAYS EPG for Astra 28.2, Autotimers, Autobouquets etc... if you can produce these we stand corrected :) Also feel free to post a scanning tutorial for Astra 28.2 using Openelec and TV headend, as the op asked 'Would the WeTek have a bigger learning curve than the Medi@link?', the answer is a massive yes.

Humm well it works perfect at my side... And there is a lot of info about this on forums not only about wetek, also on kodi and openelec. Funniest is that is memory don't fail to me all this autobouquets are developed at vdr and e2 than also copy this logic.
    What is on this is.. If same if people will not drive a Ferrari because is automatic shift and keeps Mercedes c class because is manual shift. There is no possible comparassion between this devices and wetek, simple till now there is any box that could do what wetek does in one box at very cheap price.
    Can this boxes do Netflix? NBC life? Or native kodi? Or what they do that WeTek cannot? Because TV part of OpenELEC + kodi + livetv is for sure much advanced that e2 just like I said till now no chance in a box...

• I bought one as yet not had a chance to play with it but they are getting a good write up , i only.pointed the vu out incase you go the satellite Route a nano se is also good but vu is better as you have the blackhole option also and its smaller and smarter than the nano se , but if you still need to learn either id say wetek is worth a try really depends if you want a more traditional satellite box everyone can use or a gizmo for your self

Why do you prefer BH over other images? Anyone else can join in and share their experiences with the different images. Would BH or VIX be best suited for a beginner?

• Ok, whatevever you say..... Wetek hardware will never run Enigma 2 as its supposed to be run.

Don't get me wrong, Wetek is a superb little box for Android, XBMC etc..., but it should not be classed as a replacement for a broadcom powered Engima 2 receiver and in our opinion not suitable for new users looking for a satellite receiver.

Broadcom powered receivers don't produce good image quality in comparison to sti or arm receivers.I have the vu+ duo 2,amiko alien 2+ and the wetek.Duo 2 produces the worst picture out of the three.Only kept duo2 cos of its premium build quality and features...

Edited once, last by uki22 ().

• Humm well it works perfect at my side...

Please feel free to post screenshots of all the features I mentioned, then I will stand corrected. As you stated, 'working perfect', so please... post screenshots.

world-of-satellite-banner.gif
    Official Sponsor of the OpenViX Team

Official Distributor of Formuler, Edision, GiGaBlue, Mut@nt Technomate, VU+, and many more...

Secure online ordering - Paypal and all major cards accepted - Order online 7 days a week!

PRICE MATCH PROMISE - WE'LL TRY TO MATCH ANY UK PRICE*

*SEEN ANY PRODUCT CHEAPER? CONTACT US AND WE’LL TRY TO MATCH LIKE FOR LIKE!

Edited once, last by world-of-satellite.co.uk ().

• OK so I've had a Wetek Play for almost a week now. I've not really bothered using the Android side of it as that's not really what I got it for. I use it purely for OpenELEC with Live TV and recording stuff from 28.2e as well as streaming media over the LAN from my server

Admittedly, setting it up for use with 28.2e was initially a bit of a learning curve for me but this is only because I've never had any experience with configuring TVHeadEnd before. Now I've got it all configured I could literally do it all again in my sleep it's that simple.
    Setting up AutoTimers for recording stuff is, for me at least, a lot more simpler than using an E2 box, it can all be done from a very clean and easy to use web based UI, much prefer it to the OpenWebIF offerings from E2.
    7 day EPG is also not a problem as it pulls this data from exactly the same source that the likes of CrossEPG on an E2 box does.

Auto Bouquets were a slight issue for me. Whilst the channel list populated all the channels automatically, they were all in one big list. I had to manually organise them in to their correct genres, Entertainment, News, Sports etc etc. But despite having to do this it really was a doddle to do thanks again to the incredibly easy to use web based UI.

I've had one or two teething problems with certain scheduled recordings not actually getting recorded but I believe I have now got this under control, I'll know for definite within the next couple of days.

Bottom line for me is

• If you've had previous experience with setting up TVHeadEnd as a satellite receiver backend then definitely go for a WeTek Play
    • If you've not had previous experience but you're up for a little challenge of learning something new then go for a WeTek Play, but honestly after the initial set up this is an absolute dream to use, my Mrs and 2 young children have no trouble at all using it
    • If you want something a little more 'plug n play' then you need to stick to one of the more established E2 boxes or other established variants

This is definitely the start of the future for DVB reception in my opinion. Totally over the moon with my WeTek Play :thumb:

• Admittedly, setting it up for use with 28.2e was initially a bit of a learning curve for me but this is only because I've never had any experience with configuring TVHeadEnd before. Now I've got it all configured I could literally do it all again in my sleep it's that simple.

Could you post a quick guide for others please?

Setting up AutoTimers for recording stuff is, for me at least, a lot more simpler than using an E2 box, it can all be done from a very clean and easy to use web based UI, much prefer it to the OpenWebIF offerings from E2.

So you can for instance automatically set the Wetek play to record East Enders nightly by itself similar to Series link and Autotimers in E2? If so another quick guide please :)

Thank you for your post.

world-of-satellite-banner.gif
    Official Sponsor of the OpenViX Team

Official Distributor of Formuler, Edision, GiGaBlue, Mut@nt Technomate, VU+, and many more...

Secure online ordering - Paypal and all major cards accepted - Order online 7 days a week!

PRICE MATCH PROMISE - WE'LL TRY TO MATCH ANY UK PRICE*

*SEEN ANY PRODUCT CHEAPER? CONTACT US AND WE’LL TRY TO MATCH LIKE FOR LIKE!

• I've got to go out shortly but yes I'll put a guide together later on this evening and post it up.

And sure it's possible to series link anything you want to. I think for series link it has to be set via web UI rather than directly via EPG on the WeTek, you can however set individual programs to record directly from the EPG on the WeTek.
    I'll stick a series link guide up on here later on this evening as well

• this box is certainly shaking things up a bit. I currently have solo2 which is a terrific box, and have just entered the world of xbmc by buying an android box, but wish I'd have known about the Wetek play as it seems more versatile

• Wos, as i told you this morning 7 days epg, series linking and many other features come way way before than at e2 as tvheadend is really beefed up with special freeview and freesat epg grabber + opensly grabber which works without any issue.

One more big plus for wetek is that basically you can access its web interface from any device such as android and ios phones/tablets plus in top of that tvheadend can be server for any Kodi enabled device as only what you have to do is to insert IP of wetek in HTS tvheadend PVR plugin and to watch tv wherever you are.

• i have a quad boot pc 4 hard drives
    can boot android x86 kitkat or lollipop dev edition on 2 different partitions
    can run most apps stream to tv xbmc
    all sorts of stuff
    it is free

Code
    http://www.android-x86.org/

got bored with it
    dont use it still there if i want to use

i use vu solo2 for my needs

Keeping up with the Joneses
    not for me

Edited 2 times, last by davvo ().

• Well point is your vu+ solo cannot do anything that wetek cannot but wetek can do a lot of usefull stuffs that vu+ cannot... And very usefull day to day... Pulsar, streams, NBC,nl Netflix, hulu...
    Also is much cheaper and powerfull there is simple no comparation... Why pay 200 per a Mercedes c when can buy a Ferrari per 100?

• solo2 can stream anything xbmc has
    also has nbc streams full hd

dont need netflix or hulu no point

and it can do a lot more than you think
    if i said navi x on solo2 not in image you wont believe

trust me it can do untold

i will say no more

• well most important is this is hobby and we enjoy exchanging opinions here, soon there will be e2 at wetek so we can exchange opinions about that too with colleagues who are more experienced with e2

For me as always most crucial and important is variety of choices that wetek can offer as android and openelrc where dvb works at both. Whenever want to use netflix i boot to android, live tv i preffer at tvheadend under openelec. As Pulsar not exist at Android I am using it at openelec, and thabks to scooterbuk even some other apps like showtime work now under android when we use hdmi app.

- - - Updated - - -

davvo i will believe in MIPS and VU+ when they fix hardware decoding of audio and video including DTS-HD and Dolby like it should work under Kodi, and at more real price than current.

Idea and purpose of opensource community is to create and share and in case if sell hardware with opensource software idea is to be cheap and not expensive like VU+ is. Sorry to say that m8, but there are people out there which cant afford 400 eur STB.

so far what VU+ done many users had in dreamboxes , but as known violators they ripped e2 and continue selling, for me is enough.

Lets see if VU+ as known GPL violator will ever push changes publicly, honestly I doubt.

On the other side we have Raspberry Pi, WeTek and bunch of other products/manufacturers which care about Kodi, Openelec and such projects so they support financially development of them so everybody of us could enjoy including owners of VU+ which manufacturer dont give a single sh*t about anything, just make hw put sw and earn bunch of money. In this case yes, i preffer wetek, gigablue, medi@link, rapsberry pi.

Edited once, last by xbmcflix ().

• Loving the insight guys/girls... Keep them coming, much appreciated.

xbmcflix - If I bought a WeTek, would you help me set it up? :)

there is a section with tutorials (step by step)
    http://linuxsat-support.com/forumdisplay.php?f=992

I just got mine yesterday, installed oscam and tvhead but still tring to figure how to put the sat channels hehe not as easy as e2

also still to try and figure out since I have 2 sats (one fix and one motor)

• I've bought one too! :D

I'm already looking at the tutorials section.

Seems pretty difficult at beginning, but, the tutorial section here on linuxsat seems pretty good!

I'll give it a try tonight :D
    Fingers crossed :P

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!