Problem mounting windows 7 drive on my Vu+

There are 22 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 14,034 times. The last Post () by mckee25.

• Hey guys,

I have been trying unsuccessfully for several hours to mount a shared folder on my windows 7 machine onto my VU+

The user account on my windows 7 machine is the one i use every day and has admin privileges and does NOT have a log in password.

The folder I'm trying to share has the necessary privileges because i can stream movies to my Wii, xbox360 & Iphone no problem

The shared folder is located when i click into "my videos" and is called "Movies"

Here's what I did:

1. Menu > setup > system > Network > Mount Manager
    2. Add a new network mount point
    3. Active - yes

Here are my settings:

local share name - PC
    mount type - CIFS share
    server IP - 192.168.1.13 (My PC's IP Addess)
    server share - /Movies (Is this correct because when i right click my shared folder, click properties, sharing, the network path is displayed as \\ALANSPC\Movies?)
    username - AMcDonald (This is my PC username)
    password - (i left this blank as my PC doesn't have a password, is this correct?)

When i save these settings, i restarted the box but when i go into mount management, there is a small red x to the left which i think means the mount wasn't successful.

Im using vix 2.3 image on the box

Can someone tell me if my settings are correct or point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys

Alan

P.s I forgot add to add that when I try to access "network browser" the box crashes every time, not sure why that is

• Alan,

I would suggest you create a second administrator on your windows box with username 'vu' and password 'vu', then advanced share the folder in question giving full share rights to that user...

I wrote this on another forum a while back (the menus are BH related so just change where appropriate to VIX! Also..server share in your case is '/Movies')

"Heres how I mount my Windows 7 drive -

1. create folder on PC - mine is called 'vu'
    2. create administrative user on PC, to keep things simple lets call the user 'vu' and the password 'vu'
    3. share the folder : properties --> sharing --> advanced sharing --> make sure 'share this folder' is checked and click permissions --> make sure everybody has full control

On your Vu+ box -

1. menu --> setup --> system --> Network --> Mount Manager
    2. Add a new network mount point
    3. Active - yes, local share name - nas, mount type - CIFS share, server IP - (enter PC IP here), server share - /vu, username - vu, password - vu

Don't select 'use as hdd replacement' as I've seen this do some funny things....manually amend recording paths and recorded files path!"

• Official Post

Alan,

I would suggest you create a second administrator on your windows box with username 'vu' and password 'vu', then advanced share the folder in question giving full share rights to that user...

I second the above, i once spent ages trying to mount a dm800 on windows 7 with no joy untill i read about creating another admin account. This should get you running in no time.

• i just created a new user (vu) with admin privileges guys and a password (vu) but when i click into documents, my videos, my music and my pictures in that new user account, they are all empty even though on my original windows account I right clicked the folder i want to share, selected sharing and shared with "vu" with read/write permissions

• Official Post

This not my work but big thanks to Maxwell4321 on WOS

• thank you for all the help guys, I'm finally getting somewhere. the mount appears to be successful now

the only problem is all of my movies are in my original windows account in a folder called "movies", in the new windows account i created, there are no files at all in there.

also how do i actually browse/play movies once i fugure out where they are? :)

once again thanks for all the help guys, this forum is awesome

• DB,

you create an administrator user and just share your 'Movies' folder, you don't need to create another one!

When you type '\\SERVERNAME' into the top of any folder window in Windows 7, you should see all your shares and if you've set it up right one of them should be 'Movies' (if that makes sense!)

- SERVERNAME is the name of your Windows machine BTW!

• thanks mate, when i click on network in the new windows account i can see the shared movies folder from my original windows account and all of the movies listed.

i then went into media scanner plugin on my vu+ and selected the share and it says "no displayable files on this medium found"

how do i view the movies from the vu+ box?

thank you all so much for your patience

im almost there

• You don't need to worry about actually logging in with this new user! Its just created so the Vu+ box can access your Windows 7 machine properly!

Not sure about the media plugin...are the files in a compatible format? Do you have them in separate folders or all in the same folder?

I don't stream anything to the Vu+ but this may help someone else troubleshoot with you!

• yes the files are all .avi files and are in the shared folder "Movies"

• finally got it working guys

to browse the movies i selected the button beside "menu" and changed the location to my shared folder.

Its playing avi and mkv files beautifully

thanks to everybody for your help

• I`ve got this working (folder left out called VU with films in it) it works and I can play films from it via my VU+ Duo streaming them from my PC. Now can I go one better and do the same but from an external HD plugged into my PC with films on it and stream from this also

can I go one better and do the same but from an external HD plugged into my PC with films on it and stream from this also

cant see why not as long as its mapped to whatever letter is assigned to the hdd

• Desperate to Set up Windows Network Share on my vu+ uno with windows 7 Ntfs hard drive. Try everything posted on this forum and all others forums too. I`m sure there is nothing wrong with my windows settings as i managed to set it up on BH image with no problem at all. Any help welcome.

• ok is samba running in Vix?? menu/setup/system/network/samba setup

When you have this running then ftp into your box and goto etc/samba in here you should see a samba.conf

open & edit this file, under global you will see workgroup = (change this name to match the name of your home network).

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• ok is samba running in Vix?? menu/setup/system/network/samba setup

When you have this running then ftp into your box and goto etc/samba in here you should see a samba.conf

open & edit this file, under global you will see workgroup = (change this name to match the name of your home network).

Yes samba is running and i did edit samba.conf to mutch my workgroup name. But I managed to see my vuuno on my W7 network only after installing NTFS-3g driver from plugins section in Vu but still can`t see my PC on Vu. ????

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!