Help Correctly Aligning My 1.2M Channel Master Dish and moteck H-H180 motor

There are 244 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 9,248 times. The last Post () by supwiddiss.

• Hi People so i need Help Correctly Aligning My 1.2M Channel Master Dish and moteck H-H180 motor, if you can help that be great thanks, my location is kings lynn norfolk (for long and lat), so my 1.2m CM (Channel Master) satellite dish is ground mounted to a pole and base, (see my attached pics showing how it currently looks),

please help me understand what im doing wrong, i need to align it to Thor 0.8w first so it can track the arc, i currently have no signal from any satellites :(

please note; i need step by step instructions on how to do this correctly (i have autism and need visual reference for doing this) < cant get anyone to come and do this for me so im asking here for help!! (ps its alot further away from the shed than it looks)

thanks for your help (i hope someone here can help me) :)

ps cant seem to find anyone that has the same motor and dish as me here in the uk, im hoping that someone here does, ps the fragile & black tape are there just so its waterpoof & so it doesn't get touched), also the shadow on the right hand side of the dish was just washing on the line (which wont be on the line while using my dish) as you are in ireland bill.or i hope you can help me with my issues :)

Pictures from Before i started adjusting stuff!!

1.jpg 2.jpg

3.jpg 4.jpg

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

8.jpg 9.jpg

10.jpg 11.jpg

12.jpg 13.jpg

14.jpg 15.jpg

16.jpg

WILL BE ORDERING SLABS FOR THE BASE SOON!!

NO BULLYING PLEASE!!!

PS I Have previous experience setting up a smaller motorised satellite dish, but im here asking for help due to the fact this one is a 1.2m CM Ground mounted setup!!

• Go to Best Answer
  • oktus

Approved the thread.
  • your pole need to be absolutely vertical, any deviation will through out the alignment.

What is the dish bracket angle set at.?

Hi, urm no idea sorry thats why i need help (see this pics) im not sure (i wonder if i will need to correct these first? (see pic where i drew the red circles) either i need to move the bottom front 2 down the top front two back and the back ones down?? do you think i need to do that?? sorry to be a pain but im new to aligning such a large dish and motor, i looked at the instruction manual but thats out of date now

250591-4-jpg

250593-6-jpg

• you would need to make sure the pole is straight first.

there should be scales on dish and on motor to set the angle of alignment. Set your latitude on the motor scale.....does the manual give you dish angles?

• you would need to make sure the pole is straight first.

there should be scales on dish and on motor to set the angle of alignment. Set your latitude on the motor scale.....does the manual give you dish angles?

it is straight, no scales on dish, there is on the motor (see pic) , yes it should be Elevation angle 36 degrees and declination angle 7 degrees, but i have tried that but i still dont get any signal hence why i am here asking for help...250597-10-jpg

• Official Post

Hi Dan

I have the same Dish on the Essex border.....But i have completely different mount and i use a ram / jack with a V box.

You have an interesting setup there!!

As has already been suggested, the pole the dish mounts to needs to be perfectly aligned.

So you need a spirt level to be sure it is plumb vertical before even bolting the dish to it.

If you have a user manual for your motor (what make . model is it ?)

that would help with the correct angles. (when i did mine i no scale to work with - but even then it is possible)

How are you checking signal levels ?

EDIT

You actually have 3 adjustable parameters just for elevation and de inclantion....

because the mount that bolts to the dish face is also adjustable and not fixed as you would normally expect

mmmmmmmmmmm

is this required.png

Is this bracket actually required ? If not then i would not have it in there

Edit 3 !!

I have found a user manual for your motor and mount with lots of pics attached

I will merger all my posts together later on.

So as in the pics from that manual, all you would need to mount the dish face to the adjustable mount is a couple of bits of angle iron with a few holes drilled.

• Hi yes i have already read the manual thanks, yes this plate is required to hold my dish, it was made for the dish to attach it to my motor, also what do you mean "So as in the pics from that manual, all you would need to mount the dish face to the adjustable mount is a couple of bits of angle iron with a few holes drilled." ?? please explain, as i have read the manual a few times and it doesnt make any sense to me hence why im here asking for help !

i can take these 2 brackets off (1 on each side) to see if that will help sure (when the weathers nice again i will try it) as that might be causing me issues but i can only try, also why would i need "all you would need to mount the dish face to the adjustable mount is a couple of bits of angle iron with a few holes drilled" when these 2 brackets are attached to the dish plate?

250630-is-this-required-png

if you mean something like this (see this pic: SH103605.jpg) < not my picture i found this online, i dont think thats right for norfolk uk......, not only will it look odd but i cant do that sort of thing!!

• Official Post

FUCKYOUALL

Yes i mean exactly that, very similar to the picture you posted.

As i tried to explain, your current setup is just looks plain wrong IMO.

You already have all the adjustment you need from your motor mount without having to use the black bracket link you have from the dish face to the mount

( it also has adjustment which will only make the process, much harder)

So if it is possible try to remove the link as i pointed to with the yellow arrow.

As to what look rights.....only what actually works is right, what gives you good signal through the full arc is what is right.

The less variables you have to begin with is a good step in that direction

Where has the dish, mount and motor come from ? It looks clean but not new.

• I suggest a practical approach ...

- set the right angle on the motor mounting according to your latitude

- try to set motor mounting alignment to South !!! use a compass !!!

- fix the antenna on pole !

- set your STB on Intelsat 901 27.5w .

- then chose from menu "Signal finder"

- choose 27.5 w , Predefined TP , 11495, V, 44100

- then your motor should try to get that position

- if your pole is vertical , your LNB should point approx. to 27.5 w !

- from now on ... you should find the right elevation !

- slowly , with hands , up and down, till you have signal !

- then fix elevation screws

Probably an expert could make more fine adjustments ...

but you'll get signal from Intelsat 901 at 27.5w !!!

Your antenna setup is difficult because you don't have a

satellite exactly over Ireland to be used as reference

for South ! the existing 5w or 7w does not have signal

in Ireland !!!

Edited 6 times, last by mihaip ().

• Hi everyone, never seen anything like this before, for large parabolas it's so much simpler with a polar mount and a good jack.....sell it all or go to the recycling center and install a jack.... :smiling face:

• What LNB do you have, who set the dish mount up, do you have a sat meter.

@geowhitt i have this lnb (i since cleaned it due) , i set the dish mount up myself,

@jenseneverest my dish and mount both come from ebay, both where brand new, and both have been outside on that mount for a few months now (since the summer last year) and due to the weather they might not look new but they were brand new when i got them, ok thanks will follow your steps aswel.

@mihaip ok thanks will follow your steps

@kashmir not selling anything only had it since the summer, a jack might be impossible for me to add!!

thanks for all your suggestions i will try some of them and will post updates if any work :)

• Official Post

okay FUCKYOUALL i think your posts are continually disabled as you (and any other new users) as you have not visited INTRODUCTIONS

Do not sell this !! it is all very very good gear !! The only thing not making much sense to me is that black bracket from dish face to mount

I agree with most of mihaip is saying... but i personally have always aligned with on 0.8w Thor first. (and im only about 70 miles from you )

This is what i get from the dish pointer site: https://www.dishpointer.com/

Address: kings lynn Norfolk UK

Latitude: 52.7517°

Longitude: 0.4023°

Satellite: 0.8W INTELSAT 10-02 | THOR 5 | THOR 6 | THOR 7

Elevation: 29.7°

I assume there is not another kings Lynn Norfolk in Ireland !!

For setting up purposes i would align with 0.8w - 39e and 30w (all very strong signal sats, and easily picked up even by my 80cm dish)

You want good signal for all 3 sats (as best as possible for all 3)

Then you will know you have the arc tracking correctly East to West for all sats

By using sats far apart on the arc, IE far west, one at about magnetic south (thor 0.8w) and far East... all the other sats in-between will also work.

Then you can fine tune on weak signals......

• The dish in the background whats that pointing at.

I have te same setup but not fitted as yet.

When the dish came form ebay was it set up because most are set up all you would need to is find a satellite.

You need to see if the LNB is working if it does not you will not get anything.

What are you going to use to drive the dish

Dont go mad ajusting the dish when you said it came from ebay was it sold as working if so the dish should be setup.

• Hi yes @jenseneverest i have now done my into, dont worry i wont be selling my equipment!!, yes as i said i will remove those 2 brackets from my dish mount (and keep just incase i need to add them back on), < once i have taken them off im sure i will get signal...

@geowhitt dish and motor come from ebay, im using a VBox connected to my octagon sf8008 via coax to drive move my dish/motor, the dish in the back ground isnt being used atm as our new shed is now in the way of it so its pointing towards my house until i get time to take it up and move elsewhere, lnb works fine thanks took it of my other dish and i tested and works fine, dish was boxed up i attached everything to it...

Update:

i have taken both brackets of and well as you can see from my pics i cant attach the bottom lower mounting bracket to my dish plate, i have tried everything it just wont reach :(

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

if you look at these 2 pictures below you will see what i mean by it doesn't reach .... or is "all you would need to mount the dish face to the adjustable mount is a couple of bits of angle iron with a few holes drilled." what you ment @jenseneverest ?? because the bottom ones now not able to reach after taking the top brackets off is annoying :( < nearly every picture i have seen shows them 2 brackets need to be attached

1.jpg4.jpg

tried attaching the bottom of it first, didnt work, then attached the top ones first and bottom ones didnt reach, maybe if i put the links back on and then angle them down at the top it might work? see what i mean? so the bolts on the links are further down ??

12.jpg

first thing i need to do is work out why i cant attach the lower mounting plate since i took the black links off .....

• More info and pics i will keep looking for more info.moteck_h180_3__82999_zoom.jpg

moteck_h180_4__83033_zoom.jpg

moteck_h180_install.pdf

where did you find them?? that makes more sence like that but 1) theres nowhere on the dish to attach them two, these exact pic arnt in this manaul i have https://www.pulsat.com/files/moteck_h180_install.pdf, i just found them on google via reverse image search though

what kind of iron would i need for this then? something like this? that attached to bot the mounding plate and upper mounting bracket and lower mounting bracket? something like this? https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wicke…sed-Aluminium-1m/p/188276

• Official Post

I would think so Dan, either some square tube or 90 degree angle iron...

its hard to gauge just from the pics, you would need to measure to see if the bolt holes from the dish face fall inline / outside of the mounts holes.

If not then some wider angle iron (say 50mm x 50mm x 2mm thick) would give you more freedom on the where to drill the holes for the bolts, allowing you to make it wider / narrower as required. Try to get it as central as possible.

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!